getting past that "burn" and pushing on?

Options
well, i did it again... i started out a little too strong! i did my Winsor Pilates Buns and Thighs DVD, then started Jillian's 30 Day Shred right after that yesterday. (i just typed Dhred by accident, and that actually seems more fitting!) anyway, i am now feeling the burn... my thighs are screaming at me, especially after i finished day two of the 30DS today.

i was just wondering if there is a good way to get past that burn or do i just have to tough it out for a few days? i'm "dhred"ing my workout tomorrow already!

Replies

• rachaelhefner
    Options
    You're going to be a little sore, but the best way to get rid of the burn is to push through. I always just go for a run and it really helps!
  • sexforjaffacakes
    sexforjaffacakes Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    You just have to push through.., Good news is, if you get iver the initial pain the exersize actually gets rid of the pain
  • kiawya
    kiawya Posts: 73
    Options
    You have to tough it out. But you need to give your body a day of rest, dont do it everyday. Your muscles need to pull the energy they need to recover from the stored fat, that takes a day of recovery!
  • Mariah836
    Mariah836 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I find that a good stretch after workouts (or when I'm feeling sore in the days following) tends to help.
  • jmruef
    jmruef Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    DON'T give up! I was sore doing the shred for the first 3 days. After that it got better.

That said...listen to your body. If something hurts beyond ordinary soreness from working out (and you'll know the difference!), STOP. I'm dealing w/ a pulled muscle or something right now that would be closer to healed if I had stopped earlier rather than trying to work through it. *grumble* It's my own stupid fault, but - yeah. Live and learn, right?
  • sculptandtone
    sculptandtone Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I had great success with just continuing when I experience soreness during 30DS. I think it actually lessened the soreness. After Day 2-4 I had some muscle exhaustion, but never any real soreness again (have 2 days left).
    Good Luck!!!! it's a great workout!
  • witchyboots
    witchyboots Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I'm doing 30DS too but only 5 times a week. Might sound weak to other people but I don't care..I know my own body and I know it definitely needs a rest inbetween.

If you can push through it then it will get easier but remember not to push yourself too hard..you don't want to wear yourself out or even worse, cause damage to your muscles. Then it'll be lots of rest days for you then. Enforced ones!

My thighs were KILLING me when I first started the DVD but started to get used to it around the day 5 mark. I'm on day 8 now and I'm feeling okay except I went up a level yesterday and I'm certainly feeling it today. You'll get there! x
  • melzteach
    melzteach Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Tough it out and stretch it out. A quick 10 minute stretch after a workout really helps. Also you might try a protein shake. You can get small personal shakers at most grocery or health food stores. Drinking a whey protein shake after a workout helps repair your muscle tissue and prevent soreness. I can tell a definite difference on days when I don't do this. I'm sore for a good two days later!
  • j_courter
    j_courter Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    no injuries so far... thanks for the encouragement! i think i may have to mute jillian tomorrow or i might inflict injury on myself! lol. seriously, maybe they need to have different audio tracts for each day of the dvd workout! one maybe with good music and very little gabbing? hmmm... i may just have to get out the ipod?
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Motrin?
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    You need to stretch those muscles for about 15 minutes. A real stretch...no bouncing movements...almost yoga type. When you warm your muscles up your body feels better. Jillian doesn't do a good enough cool down stretch. You should incorporate some more movements to really relax those muscles after a hard workout. The next morning you should stretch also because you will be tight.
  • sculptandtone
    sculptandtone Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    You need to stretch those muscles for about 15 minutes. A real stretch...no bouncing movements...almost yoga type. When you warm your muscles up your body feels better. Jillian doesn't do a good enough cool down stretch. You should incorporate some more movements to really relax those muscles after a hard workout. The next morning you should stretch also because you will be tight.

I agree. I don't do 15 minutes, but I certainly let Jillian do her thing and stretch/cooldown for at least two to three times what she does. I think she rushes through it so they can keep it under 30 minutes. I'd rather take a few more minutes and be looser!! Good advice
  • j_courter
    j_courter Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    thanks! i def. agree that i need a longer stretching cool down! the thighs are a little less tight today and the workout is getting a bit easier. i'm so thankful for the support and encouragement to press on!