P90x and Pregnancy

Options
Hello y'all!!! My husband and I have recently decided we are ready for a second child. Last time around, I was going to the gym, doing a few days of weight training and a few days of either the elliptical or the treadmill. When I found out I was pregnant, my doctor told me it was fine to continue my usual workout as long as I felt okay. I've since returned to my pre baby weight and then continued to push myself because I kind of got addicted lol. I recently started doing P90x (and love it by the way) and would like to continue for as long as possible....do you think it might be too strenuous to continue during pregnancy? I of course would modify as needed around a giant belly. I just feel like I've come so far and I hate to take a step back fitness wise. I want another baby AND a nice body (with exception to looking like I'm smuggling a watermelon under my shirt). I feel like continuing will help me during the pregnancy as well as during recovery. So, opinions please!

Replies

• PeachyKeene
    PeachyKeene Posts: 1,645 Member
    Options
    My opinion is you need to discuss this with your doctor. This is a very delicate situation and the only opinion you should value is you doctor's.
  • BFlowers2
    BFlowers2 Posts: 50
    Options
    I've always heard that whatever your workout routine you have done before pregnancy and through pregnancy will be ok, but if you suddenly start working out during pregnancy when You didn't work out before, that can actually hurt you and the baby. I would think it would be ok (I am no doctor however) but I would say to def change the routine a little, especially when you come closer to being full term. You can always ask a doctor their opinion though :)
  • awalchle
    awalchle Posts: 2
    Options
    Congrats on a second child! I think as long you modify your routine as needed, you will be just fine. I work at a hospital in the OB dept. and lots of moms workout, they end being just fine. It may even help with the delivery process. Also what is P90x anyways?? Thanks. Good Luck!
  • LauraMarie37
    LauraMarie37 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I'm curious to what other people will say about the intensity of the workout, but I just want to add that you probably can't have a calorie deficit during your pregnancy - and that definitely means being sure to eat back those exercise calories! Studies have shown that children who don't get enough calories in the womb are more likely to have slower metabolisms and are more prone to being overweight throughout their lives.
  • rileymama
    rileymama Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    What the above poster said....but of course, you would still want to clear it with your doctor and modify as needed...and not push yourself as hard...no reason fitness has to go out the window when we are pregnant, just has to be toned down and modified to be safe for you and baby.
  • SpaceMarkus
    SpaceMarkus Posts: 651
    Options
    As a Beachbody Coach I'm going to say take the DVD's in to your doctor and let them evaluate it.
  • abbz17
    abbz17 Posts: 39
    Options
    I was just doing a bunch of research recently because I thought I was expecting and didn't want to give up my vigorous workouts. Everything I read said you can continue anything you were previously doing as long as you feel ok. If anything makes you feel like something is wrong then you need to stop. Otherwise, you can do whatever you like.
  • Rikki444
    Rikki444 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I'm sure your Dr will let you know. Personally, I believe you can have it all. Fit body and your baby bump.... why not?

All the best.
  • ShrinkingNinja
    ShrinkingNinja Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    You really need to talk to your doctor about it.... but if it were me.... I would just do no weights and more reps.
  • rileymama
    rileymama Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I'm glad you posted this qustion! i was asked the same thing by someone recently....while I gave my usual always ask your doctor, but it might be ok..i was curious if anyone had actually done P90X while pregnant....

For the person who asked what it was...it is a Beachbody workout with Tony horton that is more intense than some... and supposed to bring great results if you follow the nutrition with it.
  • slbeutler
    slbeutler Posts: 205
    Options
    You can certainly count your calories while pregnant and just make sure you stay in your range. I am a fitness instructor and Beachbody coach and worked out almost completely the same up until 2 weeks prior to delivery. Believe me I did not lose any weight, lol.

Anyways, from my research and talks with my doctor, I had to stay away from walking lunges because the muscles around your pelvis and lower become more relaxed when you are pregnant so they can stretch so you would be more prone to injury. Also, you should wear a heart rate monitor so your heart rate does not get above a certain rate. I cannot remember the exact number. After the first trimester, you should not do any exercises that require you to lay on your back and obviously your stomach. I would stick to the low impact and modified versions of the exercises.

If it is something you have been doing, there is nothing wrong with continuing it. I definitely agree with a previous post to always check it out with your doctor first. Most will encourage you to stay active. I did kickboxing, cycling, weight training, push ups, planks, you name it and I bounced back physically a lot faster. The weight loss is still a struggle after the second child, but I stayed in great shape endurance and strength wise.
  • rachel0923
    rachel0923 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I didn't use P90X during my pregnancies, but did use other BB programs (Slim in 6, Turbo Jam, Chalean Extreme) until the end. I wore my HRM to make sure my heart rate didn't skyrocket (I think my personal limit was 160). I stayed away from HIIT that would send my heartrate through the roof. I did what was comfortable for me. If it was me, I probably would not do plyo because it would be tough during pregnancy. I read an interesting book called Fitness During Pregnancy or something prior to my second pregnancy. It seemed like there was nothing but benefits as a result of working out and maintaining a strong body during pregnancy, as long as you listened to your body. Good luck on that second baby!

Also, with my first pregnancy my doctor had said to keep my HR below 140. With my second pregnancy, she said things had changed and just to keep doing what I was doing, without a specific number in mind.
  • DixieDarlin1987
    DixieDarlin1987 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone! Just to clarify, I definitely DO plan on eating my calories back. I don't want to gain a ridiculous amount of weight during pregnancy but I certainly don't plan on trying to lose any weight while I'm pregnant. I actually just went for my annual a week ago and spoke to the OB about it at that visit. Unfortunately, he had never heard of P90x so that's why I was just looking for some feedback. On a good note, he commented that I looked to be in much better physical shape than I was during my first prenatal visit for my son...Yay NSV for me!!!! He again told me he did not see any reason for me to stop, even after I described the intensity of the workouts. He just said "be careful not to hurt yourself". Matter of fact, he didn't even mention heart rate or anything to me....hmmmm.
  • Twylla
    Twylla Posts: 51
    Options
    I was told by a few people including my dr while I was pregnant with my son that I could continue anything EXCEPT....any ab work outs because alot of time it leads to seperated abs which is not possible to fix via exercise after you have the baby. Congrats on number 2! :) I told my husband that I don't want to start trying again until I'm at my goal weight...he told me to get movin haha! :) Congrats again!
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    my sister-in-law walked a marathon 2 weeks before her due date and ran a 5k on her due date. she's a nut, but i envy her. :) if your body is used to the strenuous activity, you can continue it during pregnancy. just remember that your joints get looser the further along you get, and you may have to do some serious modifying around your new center of gravity. congrats! i hope to be right there with you.
  • DixieDarlin1987
    Options
    I was told by a few people including my dr while I was pregnant with my son that I could continue anything EXCEPT....any ab work outs because alot of time it leads to seperated abs which is not possible to fix via exercise after you have the baby. Congrats on number 2! :) I told my husband that I don't want to start trying again until I'm at my goal weight...he told me to get movin haha! :) Congrats again!
    I totally get that....It's kind of a mental thing. I wanted to prove to myself that I could get back to my original weight before we tried for a 2nd baby also. I have since gotten lower than my pre baby weight so I feel confident that I can do it again after baby number 2! But the desire to keep pushing myself physically is both for vain reasons AND because I feel that being fit will be better for the baby.
  • DixieDarlin1987
    Options
    my sister-in-law walked a marathon 2 weeks before her due date and ran a 5k on her due date. she's a nut, but i envy her. :) if your body is used to the strenuous activity, you can continue it during pregnancy. just remember that your joints get looser the further along you get, and you may have to do some serious modifying around your new center of gravity. congrats! i hope to be right there with you.
    Wow, that is amazing! I kept up my workout routine (although not nearly as strenuous) through my first two trimesters last time...but that 3rd one was rough. I was sooooo tired and it was the middle of a Louisiana summer. All I cared about was the couch and the air conditioner lol! But this time, since I'm in much better shape, I hoping I can keep it up until close to my due date. Congrats to you on planning another little one! :smile: