Cannot lose weight even though I stay within my calorie goal

Options
Help please. I am always within my calorie goal - (1200 + exercise cals) for the day but I cannot lose any weight. And I put on very easily. I exercise for an hour almost every day - walk, jazzercise, treadmill etc but it is not working. My diary is open. Any responses will be appreciated. Thanks

Replies

• AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    how are you calculating your exercise calories? estimation or hrm? what types of food are you eating, processed or whole foods?
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    open your diary so we can see what you have been eating and make suggestions
  • pitbullmama
    pitbullmama Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    your diary is not open. would love to help
  • welloiledmachine
    welloiledmachine Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    Can't see your diary.
  • bhatiak
    bhatiak Posts: 14
    Options
    Sorry ... My diary is open now.
  • bhatiak
    Options
    I use the exercise calories from MFP. I eat mostly unprocessed food and whole grains.
  • welloiledmachine
    Options
    It looks to me that you need to up your protein and you need to try and combine complex carbs and protein in the same meal. For me, I eat 5 small meals a day and each of those meals contain complex carbs, protein and fat. This keeps your energy levels high, boosts your metabolism which helps to lose weight. It didn't look like you are logging your water. I hope you are getting plenty of that. You also might want to track your sodium too.

Oh yeah, one more thing. Strength training is key. Weightlifting burns fat.
  • bhatiak
    Options
    Also, I am only 10 lbs over weight for my height and aiming to lose about 5 lbs ... it is so hard to lose any.
  • pitbullmama
    Options
    So how long have you been tracking? Some times it takes a while before you see the scale start to move. What I am seeing is lots of sugar. Maybe making an effort to cut that back may help.
  • bhatiak
    Options
    What do you eat to combine complex carbs, protein and fat in a meal? Also, I eat mostly vegetarian food. Thanks
  • bhatiak
    Options
    Have been tracking for almost two months. My sugar is mostly from fruits and yogurt.
  • pitbullmama
    Options
    Thats the thing I can't stand about low fat/ no fat yogurts. They always compensate for the fat by adding extra sugars or articficial sweeteners. Yuck. I would rather have a plain greek style yogurt and add my own fruit. More filling, less sugar.
  • bhatiak
    Options
    Ok .. I can try that ... plain yogurt ... thanks
  • welloiledmachine
    Options
    What do you eat to combine complex carbs, protein and fat in a meal? Also, I eat mostly vegetarian food. Thanks
    Since you have so little to lose, you need to focus only on .5 lb per week.
    Not sure I can help you if you are a vegetarian as I eat fish, chicken, tuna, and lean red meat....most hamburger.
    There is protein powder, but that's a personal preference.
    For example, I will eat a bowl of shredded wheat for carbs and then a half cup of greek yogurt for protein with some peanut butter for fat in it. Carbs, protein and fat.
    I will also do oatmeal with egg whites. Different variations there.
    I'll do chicken breast with whole wheat pasta/rice or sweet potato. Veggies too. Not sure if this will help.
  • bhatiak
    Options
    I can try some of these things ... Thanks
  • welloiledmachine
    Options
    Just a little tip.

Important facts about protein....

Protein is the building block of muscle. Protein provides the essential support that your body needs to gain muscle and lose fat. It is the right tool to guarantee that your muscle building and fat loss processes are as "profitable" as possible.
    Protein is harder for your body to digest than fat or carbohydrates. It requires more energy for your body to digest protein. Therefore, you burn more calories with protein.

This means that if two people eat 2000 calories per day, the one with a higher protein intake will have a higher metabolism.

Protein Fact: Protein helps suppress your appetite. This causes you to eat less calories overall, which contributes to weight loss. Because of protein's ability to help maintain muscle, you should burn fat at a faster rate than muscle.

No nutrient is more important than protein for building and maintaining muscle.

Even tho you don't eat meat, there are other great sources of protein.
  • jagh09
    jagh09 Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    Are you drinking your water? I didn't see any tracked in your diary. Drinking water is really important to the weight loss process.
  • TXHunny84
    TXHunny84 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat.... I only need to lose 15 pounds and if I put my NET calories over 1200 then I gain??.... I should be able to eat closer to my 1750 daily calories to maintain but...if I ate 1700 I'd gain pounds!!! It's awful!
  • bhatiak
    Options
    That is very helpful ... I can eat more lentils, beans, soya, eggs to add more proteins in my diet. Thanks
  • bhatiak
    Options
    I think I drink 4-5 glasses of water and 3-4 cups of tea or coffee