Cleared to fight again??!!

Options
I tore a rotator cuff this past November training for a competition which lead to me putting on 18 lbs through the holidays and the cold months while wearing a sling for 2 months and rehab after. I was cleared today to fight again if I wish. Getting ready for competition is a great tool for me to get to fight weight (175 lbs)……but put my shoulder at serious risk again???

Trying to determine if I am motivated enough to get to the weight I want without training for a competition. Anyone else in here a recovered injured competitor with some advice or insight???

Replies

• Stooooo
    Stooooo Posts: 1,191 Member
    Options
    What type of fighting?
  • pratkovic
    pratkovic Posts: 55
    Options
    It is called Open Martial Arts. Very similar to MMA, minus the ground game, all stand up. If you get thrown/swept to ground that is a point to your opponent. You win by KO, three points, or standing submission (rare). It is mainly amateurs who enjoy competing/fighting but it is not their profession so it is geared not to cause major injury (which grappling/ground game can easily cause).
  • _Sally_
    _Sally_ Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Perhaps there may be a way to add additional cross training (like swimming or sweep rowing/sculling) to help strengthen your shoulder? Adding specific stretches and maintaining a focus on flexiblity may also help.

I'm traing for a half marathon... after recovering from a running injury, so I know what it's like to be a moth going back to the flame. :-)

I'm much more focused on doing everything I can to strengthen and prevent injury, so I'm training differently now. You may want to think about different approaches to your training instead of just going back to what you know and what you did before. You may also decide that you want to try out different activities right now and enjoy being injury free for a period of time before returning to fighting as well.

Just my 2 cents. good luck!
  • Stooooo
    Stooooo Posts: 1,191 Member
    Options
    It is called Open Martial Arts. Very similar to MMA, minus the ground game, all stand up. If you get thrown/swept to ground that is a point to your opponent. You win by KO, three points, or standing submission (rare). It is mainly amateurs who enjoy competing/fighting but it is not their profession so it is geared not to cause major injury (which grappling/ground game can easily cause).

That's sounds awesome. I have a back ground in Martial Arts, Kenpo to be specific.