What's your sugar intake like?

Options
kiwicakes
kiwicakes Posts: 65 Member
What's everyone's daily goal for sugar intake? Mine is automatically set at 26g. I have trouble staying within that amount almost everyday, even though I never drink soda, rarely have juice, almost never have candy or chocolate etc.

However I do have at least 1-2 serving of fruit everyday as part of my diet, watermelon, strawberry, peaches etc, whatever is fresh at the farmers market. The FDA recommends at least 3 servings of fruit daily for women my age, according to MFP half a cup of grapes has 12g of sugar; a medium nectarine has about 11.

I think the only other food I have semi-regularly that is high in sugar is honey, which I have about half a tbsp (11g) with yogurt (6g) in the morning.

So say I ate the grapes and the nectarine for snack after breakfast today, I'd already gone over my limit with 12+11+11+6 at a total of 40g of sugar... and that is before lunch.

I don't want to give up fruit, does anyone have the same problem? What did you do about it?

Replies

• brooksingletary
    brooksingletary Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Mine is also set at 26g and I frequently go over this. However, I am knee-deep in lots of literature that says that naturally occurring sugar (like those found in fruits/milk/yogurt) shouldn't count toward this goal. I'm not a diabetic, so I'm not sure if this is true.
  • HisBeloved65
    HisBeloved65 Posts: 186
    Options
    I take in a lot of sugar from fresh fruit.
  • melizerd
    melizerd Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    MFP doesn't distinguish sugar from fruit and sugar from a candy bar. So honestly as long as *I* know where it came from I don't bother tracking it with MFP.
  • kittyloo123
    kittyloo123 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    i do not track sugar on mfp. I eat LOTS of fruit, and very little real sugar. I don't need or want to know.
  • tiggilee
    tiggilee Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Funny, I was just looking into that today. I think the MFP sugar goal is misleading. The average woman should eat less than 26g of ADDED sugar. You are not eating added sugar, you are eating the natural ones. That is so very different. I would say don't worry about it, as long as you are avoiding the added sugars you are fine. No one EVER got fat from nectarines! :laugh:

Just limit these sources (see percentages consumed by that scary person, the "average American"):
    - Regular soda - 33% of the added sugar Americans consume comes from regular soda. :drinker:
    - Candy - Candy accounts for 16% :huh:
    - Desserts - Cakes, cookies and pies account for almost 13% :devil:
    - Fruit drinks - Fruit punches and other fruit drinks accounts for almost 10% :ohwell:
    - Sweetened dairy products - Ice cream, sweetened yogurt and sweetened milk (ex. strawberry milk) account for almost 9% :blushing:
  • kellyscomeback
    kellyscomeback Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    I'm over daily but it's from fruit & veg, not soda, splenda, candy, etc.
  • SeaChele77
    SeaChele77 Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    I stopped watching sugar. I never stayed in my limit, but I too do not drink soda or juice. I do eat candy, but I've been very strict at limiting myself to only 1x per week. My sugars come from fruit and yogurt! My 2-4 servings of fruit and one serving of greek yogurt and I totally busted. So...now I watch my sugars, but I don't monitor near as closely as I do my sodium and carbs!
  • SeaChele77
    SeaChele77 Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    I stopped watching sugar. I never stayed in my limit, but I too do not drink soda or juice. I do eat candy, but I've been very strict at limiting myself to only 1x per week. My sugars come from fruit and yogurt! My 2-4 servings of fruit and one serving of greek yogurt and I totally busted. So...now I watch my sugars, but I don't monitor near as closely as I do my sodium and carbs!
  • kiwicakes
    kiwicakes Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I see.. I did read around the web that natural sugar is not as bad as refined sugar... although its the same amount of calories.
    Also I'm kind of guilty when it comes to desserts-like cakes and baked goods too, haha.

Anyway, thanks for the feedback guys, I feel better now. :)
  • Jellyphant
    Jellyphant Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Mine's set a little higher since I'm bigger, but I find that alot of the sugars come from the fruit that i eat. Yeah, it ocasionally comes from the occasional smoothie or red bull I drink, but I don't really pay attention to it.
    The only reason I haven't taken it off is an attempt at controlling my sugar drinks intake, which is working pretty well, since I see big, red screaming numbers when I do go over, LOL.