When do you eat breakfast?

Options
This has been plauging my mind for a few weeks now. I'm not a huge breakfast eater! I love breakfast food - bacon, eggs, pancakes, waffles, hashbrowns (mmm....hashbrowns...) - but I don't like to eat in the morning. I'm just not that hungry!

Here's my typical routine - wake up around 830 or 9, have coffee (waaaay too much but I'm addicted!), putt around the house till the first hunger pain strikes at around 1230. Then I have something breakfasty and light (like an english muffin and an egg, or yogurt and granola). I eat about 4 hours after I wake up, is that too long?

I have been known to eat earlier than that, especially if I wake up before 830, but then I feel hungry all day. I'm assuming it's because my metabolism is awake and working, but I hate the feeling of being hungry all day!

So I want to know when other MFP members eat breakfast, and if they experience all day hunger. And what is a reasonable, or healthy amount of time to wait before eating breakfast?

Replies

• aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    I usually eat within 30 minutes of waking up so it just depends on what time I wake up. Since I'm currently jobless, the last month I've been eating breakfast around 10:30.
  • ronchap
    ronchap Posts: 60
    Options
    I eat a small breakfast (egg whites or oatmeal) about 630 then cereal at 900
  • sarah_ep
    sarah_ep Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    I heard that for breakfast, it should typically be anytime with 3 hours after you wake up. But I doubt the extra hour makes much of a difference.
  • yeahfatty
    yeahfatty Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    i eat breakfast no later than an hour after i'm up. i'm not a huge breakie eater either so i have a toast & a glass of milk. (:
  • raychybabe
    raychybabe Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I start work at 7.30am most days so I eat porridge at home at 7am and then I have to snack by about 9.45am!
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    Timing is more or less irrelevant. As long as you're hitting your targets, it doesn't matter what time you eat. Yes, this includes eating late at night or skipping breakfast.
  • aneumany
    aneumany Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    u are supposed to eat within the first hour of being awake/up, watever. its how ur bodys metabolism gets kick started.. then u should be eating every 3 hrs afterwards, so im not sure why ur starvign all day long.. ur body will be constantly fed.. u should start to get hungry around 3 hrs of not eating, not all day, maybe u need to incorporate more protein into ur diet to make sure that u feel fuller longer.. egg whites, chicken, spinach, cottage cheese, protein shake/bar.. thingsl ike that.. peanut better (just dont overdue it)...hope this helps!
  • Just1forMe
    Just1forMe Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    So I want to know when other MFP members eat breakfast, and if they experience all day hunger.

Usually between 1:30-3:30 pm :blushing: (eating bf now--2:40pm)

I, like you, drink 3 large cups of coffee in the morning. I am rarely hungry at any point during the day (I guess fortunately!) and am always so stinking busy that I forget to eat until mid to late afternoon. I am always trying to get better about that, but I don't think it has hurt me much...? I guess you have to do what works for you...eating breakfast late is probably no different than what time you finish eating at the end of the day--it really doesn't matter as far as weight loss is concerned.

<
    also eats right up until bedtime many nights...
  • jonikeffer
    jonikeffer Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    They say you should eat within an hour of waking up. I'd give you more wiggle room than that, but waiting 4 hours (830 to 1230) is way too long. And yes, you're right, you do feel hungrier when you eat breakfast because you are kick starting your metabolism, but it is really best for you. Try to pick things that are more filling, like protein and complex carbs....eggs, meat, steel cut oatmeal. Anyone who has seen me post knows I am a huge fan of the steel cut oatmeal. :wink: That said, you don't have to eat a TON for "breakfast". I eat something small to start with and then drink coffee, and then have the oatmeal around 10:30-11. I get up around 7am.
  • jllipson
    jllipson Posts: 646
    Options
    Depending on the day, I try to eat within 2-3 hours of waking up. On work days it's closer to 3 hours from time I get up, get ready and all, because I usually eat when I get to work.
  • Shelbug65
    Shelbug65 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I've never been a big breakfast eater. I do, however, know it's important. I start my work day at 7:30. I usually have a peanut butter/chocolate chip granola bar at my desk after I get my computer up and running. I try to snack on something about every 3 hours- otherwise my blood sugar plummets.
  • SLambertAlaska
    SLambertAlaska Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I eat a small bit about a half hour after I get up, before I exercise. sometimes it's just the milk in my "milked down" coffee, sometimes half a yogurt jug or half banana. Then I exercise. I'm always hungry after that and I'm glad to still have my breakfast calories "available" for a late morning breakfast.

When school starts back (I teach) and I have to eat before the school day starts (cause there's no break for food in our morning) I eat my oatmeal at work right before I have to start being officially "on" (a bit before the students arrive).
  • dawnrenee567
    dawnrenee567 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I eat breakfast when I get to work (plain yogurt with berries and sometimes granola).

I'm up anywhere between 5-6:30 and I'm at work at 8:30
  • chefchazz
    chefchazz Posts: 427
    Options
    i start my day at 7. eat my breakfast about 8ish. then i have a snack about 10:30. both of these meals are packed b/c i eat on the road.
  • Daisy_May
    Daisy_May Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I have to get to work REALLY early becasue I car pool with my fiance, so I sleep every minute I can, throw on some clothes and go to work. So I dont' eat until I'm at work, usually about 7AM which is an hour and a half after I wake up. I can't imagine getting up any earlier to eat or being able to keep anything down at 5am! .

It does tend to make me hungry all day so I just snack all day, I still tend to have at lest 600 calories left for dinner.

Days I'm off I usually eat about half an hour to an hour after I get up.
  • scarletfever2005
    scarletfever2005 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I usually do a myoplex shake or other protein packed meal replacement. Quick, easy, and enough protein to carry me for a while. I usually get it in before 7 and then have a snack about 9.
  • SNorris01
    SNorris01 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Wow I must be odd man out for the most part. I eat breakfast at 5:00AM shortly after I get up. I eat just about the same thing every morning. Egg beaters, one slice of cheese some other sort of protein, like turkey sausage, or turkey bacon. Then a GNC protein shake as well. Then off to the gym, I work out at 6:00-7:00 every day M-F so same routine just different workouts each day. Then about 9:00 I have protein bar, or some kind of high protein snack. Lunch at 11 or close to it. Afternoon snack about 2-3 depending on my work schedule. Then dinner and a snack before 8PM. If I don't eat breakfast I feel drained during my workout. I have a lot more energy when I have breakfast rather than skipping it and eating after.
  • Lisa0504
    Lisa0504 Posts: 1
    Options
    You should eat breakfast sooner than 4 hours after waking up. Eating breakfast jump starts your metabolism which I know other people have said but let me put it to you like this; if you eat breakfast you will most likely feel hungry again sooner like you said you have before. However, your body will actually burn more calories throughout the day if you eat breakfast within an hour or so of waking up. If you aren't a big breakfast person then you could even try something like a smoothie or protein shake. even if it's something small like a granola bar or special k bar just so you have less to eat. But like the commercials for cereals say, studies have proven that people who eat breakfast generally tend to weigh less. Hope this helps :)
  • azingale
    azingale Posts: 74
    Options
    When I'm commuting, I eat in the car about an hour to an hour and a half after I've woken up depending on when I can handle the thought of eating and what kind of traffic I'm up against. When I'm not commuting, I try to eat within an hour (and always coffee asap!)
  • arw060310
    arw060310 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I physically cannot eat breakfast right after waking up. So I wake up, drink a glass of water, walk 4 miles, drink another class of water, watch some tv, drink some more water, take a shower, THEN I have a Total Lean shake for "breakfast". So I have my shake 4 hours or so after I wake up. Any sooner than that and I just can't eat.