Holy sodium!!!!!

Options
OMG...I just now figured out that I can change what I keep track of in my food journal, so I added sodium to my list...and geeezzzz....I had no idea how much sodium I was consuming, just in my lunch, (home-made chicken, bean, and cheese burrito) I had over 1200 g of sodium!!! WOW, this has been an eye opener to me. I've never really thought about sodium because I assumed that if the calorie content is low, and the sugar is not much, and the food is healthy, I shouldn't have to worry about much else. I wonder if this is the reason I am not dropping weight like everyone else I know on this program? Well, I'm glad I found out. Now I know. We'll see if this changes anything.

Any one know some good ideas to cut the sodium intake? I already buy no salt veggies (can't afford fresh veggies all the time so I usually get canned or frozen) I up for any suggestions on how to lower my salt consumption.

Thank you!

Replies

• roshong06
    roshong06 Posts: 196
    Options
    OMG...I just now figured out that I can change what I keep track of in my food journal, so I added sodium to my list...and geeezzzz....I had no idea how much sodium I was consuming, just in my lunch, (home-made chicken, bean, and cheese burrito) I had over 1200 g of sodium!!! WOW, this has been an eye opener to me. I've never really thought about sodium because I assumed that if the calorie content is low, and the sugar is not much, and the food is healthy, I shouldn't have to worry about much else. I wonder if this is the reason I am not dropping weight like everyone else I know on this program? Well, I'm glad I found out. Now I know. We'll see if this changes anything.

Any one know some good ideas to cut the sodium intake? I already buy no salt veggies (can't afford fresh veggies all the time so I usually get canned or frozen) I up for any suggestions on how to lower my salt consumption.

Thank you!
  • BrandNewLaura
    BrandNewLaura Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    I wish I could help but I fight the battle of the sodium every day too...looking forward to seeing what everyone else suggests!
  • chelle1717
    chelle1717 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I had this same awakening when I joined MFP! I've found that avoiding lunchmeats, pickles, frozen meals, and anything with a lot of preservatives helps a lot. Frozen veggies are better than canned if you can't get fresh. I hope this helps!
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options

Thank you!
    no frozen ready to eat meals......that's a killer on sodium, when you're in the store one day....take a look...sometimes one small lean meal, WW meal or such can be well over 1/2 a days worth of sodium......canned soup...anything pre-made where they need to preserve it....you'll find alot of sodium in it...
  • Picky_nikki
    Picky_nikki Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Avoid anything processed, Frozen meals, canned veggies,beans ect... Add spices rather than salt to recipes. You will find a new way to cook, and learn to enjoy foods less salty! Rinsing canned beans helps to eliminate some of the sodium, however hard to track!

Good luck! I know what you mean, I had a lean cuisine panini the other day and there was 710gm sodium! OUCH!
  • EvilPIB
    EvilPIB Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I agree with all the others.

Try to avoid:
    Can veggies when possible
    Soups even the one's that state low sodium (watchout for those they are tricky:noway: )
    Pre-made meals and dinners
    Deli Meat even low sodium ones (tricky, tricky)
    Basically almost anything that is pre-cooked, canned, etc.

Have you tried Sea Salt?
  • greenbaum9
    Options
    Cutting sodium :

I use NOSALT salt substitute, Morton's also makes a salt substitute, and Mrs DASH no salt products.

Do NOT use canned vegetables, deli meats, prepared frozen dinners, and canned soups and canned .tomatoes

I've heard that frozen vegetables are as good as fresh veggies, check labels on salt content.

You actually lose your taste for too much salt as time goes by.

Good Luck
    :flowerforyou:
    greenie
  • roshong06
    roshong06 Posts: 196
    Options
    I haven't tried sea salt yet...is it better for you? I've acually never even heard of it? where would I find it. My family LOVES salt, of course my family is all healthy and not over weight too...is there anything like artificial salt?
  • BrandNewLaura
    BrandNewLaura Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    I use the No Salt Substitute...go to the regular grocery store where you'd buy table salt...they have salternatives (alternatives to salt lol) and the kosher sea salt...if you look at the kosher sea salt's sodium content vs regular table salt, you'll see that the table salt has much more sodium!
  • michlingle
    michlingle Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    umyeah salt...i went over today for the first time in 3.5 months SIGNIFICANTLY by 2500 mg....so gross but only because I had to eat out each meal today...breakfast after my run (egg mcmuffin no cheese), subway for lunch,and dinner at tgifridays.....I feel gross....i never go over my salt..but I stayed within cals....will drink lots of water
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    How much salt did you reach for the whole day? The RDA is 2,000mg, but if you're performing vigorous activity for an hour or more a day, you actually need more salt than that. Just eating salt isn't going to pump your blood pressure through the roof or cause you to retain 10 lbs of water weight. Salt is used continuously by the body; every time a neuron fires (which is always), salt is used. If you're drinking enough water, you won't be retaining any. There's really no need to sound the alarms if your blood pressure is normal and you're taking in around the RDA amount.

If you switch to sea salt, which isn't iodized, monitor your iodine intake. Too little iodine will cause a sluggish thyroid, and a severe deficiency will cause goiter.
  • EvilPIB
    Options
    I haven't tried sea salt yet...is it better for you? I've acually never even heard of it? where would I find it. My family LOVES salt, of course my family is all healthy and not over weight too...is there anything like artificial salt?

Nortons brand and you can find in Walmart along with most grocery stories. Look on the very bottom shelf. The sell the Sea Salt with and without Iodine.

It's supposed to be better for you especially if you have high blood pressure so, my MD tells me.:laugh:
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options
    umyeah salt...i went over today for the first time in 3.5 months SIGNIFICANTLY by 2500 mg....so gross but only because I had to eat out each meal today...breakfast after my run (egg mcmuffin no cheese), subway for lunch,and dinner at tgifridays.....I feel gross....i never go over my salt..but I stayed within cals....will drink lots of water

Hey Kudos for drinking the water...it'll get you back to where you want to be!:flowerforyou:
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options

Try to avoid:
    Soups even the one's that state low sodium (watchout for those they are tricky:noway: )

Have you tried Sea Salt?

I like your AV....um, should I feel guilty when I bake my chicken tomorrow?:sad: :laugh:
  • EvilPIB
    Options

Try to avoid:

Have you tried Sea Salt?

I like your AV....um, should I feel guilty when I bake my chicken tomorrow?:sad: :laugh:

:noway: :laugh:

No because the evil dieter side will surface and you will laugh devilsh :laugh: :devil:
    white meat :laugh: :devil: