Help - Frozen weight or cooked?

Options
Hi all

I'm having a right problem. I'm trying to add 'Morrisons - Straight Cut Oven Chips' but I don't know what weight in grams to put in the food tracker for the calories, frozen weight or cooked weight as they do differ and I don't want to get it wrong.

Help!!!

Terri xx

Replies

• SheehyCFC
    SheehyCFC Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Typically nutrition is based on frozen weight (unless otherwise noted) - I'd say go with that.
  • juliapurpletoes
    juliapurpletoes Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    I believe that when a food comes in frozen form (like in a box or bag) it is meant to be weighed frozen. Unless it is a meat/chicken or fish product, then thawed and uncooked.

Look and see how many servings the bag has total and try to figure out what the company meant...but I believe it is uncooked and still frozen weight.

I'll be watching for others answers too!
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    On the package it is what you get as is, unless specified. I do see on the food data base that people do add cook portions though.
  • CharlieBarleyMom
    CharlieBarleyMom Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    It's extremely hard to figure out actual portion sizes based on how many portions the container claims. I sent an email to the US department of labeling (whatever it is actually called - I can go doublecheck since I saved the communication) to get a definitive answer about chunk chicken in cans. The net weight of the product was XX - after you drain the water (or oil - I always buy in water) the ACTUAL net weight of the resulting product is SO MUCH LOWER that there is no way you can get the number of servings based on the serving size listed on the can. The answer was pretty much, "too bad" that's the way it is, there's nothing you can do about it.

So I say, always weigh the ENTIRE package before you just take the word of the label. I know this just throws another wrench in the engine, but I had to share.