You've Lost Weight. Now How Do You Keep It Off?

Options
"Losing weight is hard enough. Keeping it off is even harder. Now a new study by researchers at Penn State suggests that the techniques that work for losing weight aren't necessarily the same as those that help keep you slim.

First, the researchers surveyed more than 1,100 people who had achieved significant weight loss and maintained it. The researchers identified 36 weight-loss and weight-maintenance practices that at least 10% of the group used.

Then the researchers conducted a national telephone survey of overweight people (with a BMI of 25 or higher) who had tried to lose weight and keep it off with varying success: about 11% reported successfully losing weight, defined as losing at least 10% of body weight, and 21% were able to maintain that loss for at least a year. The researchers asked them how frequently they employed the 36 previously identified techniques: "often or very often" or "seldom or never."'

Read more: http://healthland.time.com/2011/07/06/youve-lost-weight-now-how-do-you-keep-it-off/#ixzz1RM0EuFzz

Replies

• momogogo
    momogogo Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    If you lose it right then it stay's off. Losing weight correctly is that you made changes to your lifestyle. You have learned how to eat and excersize. Your metabolism is your best friend. To maintain your weight you make slight changes to what you did to lose.
  • kunibob
    kunibob Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Hrm, interesting study and a good read. I'd be interested to take part in a study like this one day. I maintained my loss for 3 years, only creeping back up a bit of it because I stopped caring under stress and "let myself go" (not a smart choice, but it was still a choice), and for me personally, I did the same thing to keep it off that I did to take it off in the first place. Monitoring calories, healthy balance of fats/protein/carbs, regular exercise. The only difference was that I took more calories in per day to maintain. But my focus has always been on sustainable lifestyle changes and long-term, slow loss, so that might vary drastically for someone who is doing a specialized weight loss plan.
  • 6heatherb6
    6heatherb6 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info...
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
    Here's hoping we keep it off...
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    I was doing strength training a couple of times a week and a little walking to maintain my weight for 2 years and then i just stopped and gained 30 lbs in 2 years.