feel like you eating too much?

Options
I have my daily calorie limit at 1200 but i feel like im eating alot......especially since you guys keep telling me i should eat back my work out calories..... does any one else feel like this? should i really be eating back all my work out calories?

Replies

• Sarahnats
    Sarahnats Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Im exactly the same....would be curious what answers people come up with :)
  • clarech
    clarech Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Im exactly the same....would be curious what answers people come up with :)

Me to I feel like I'm eating more than I used to
  • Helice
    Helice Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    i felt 1,200 calories was too much for me..
    and whenever i ate that amount i would feel REALLY guilty.
    and i HATED eating back my exercise calories, ijust felt like i was undoing all of my hard work burning the calories...

So i decided i would aim for a net amount of 800 calories instead of 1,200..
    which makes me alot happier..

Because on one hand of it if i slip up and eat a little too many calories.. (High 1,000's). I just exercise more until my net calories are back down to 800..

But on the other hand, if im having a day where i look at food and go uhh, then if i eat only like 700 ish, then i dont have to do any exercise...

Because i feel like as long as my net is lower than my mfp default goal of 1,200 calories then i dont need feel disgusted about how much i have eaten..
    Even if i had a shocker of a day and ate over 2,000 calories... The fact that i exercised like 1,200 makes me feel like iv eaten a sensible amount for the day...

But at the end of the day, each to their own.
  • kmtetour
    kmtetour Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Find some higher calorie, but still healthy, snacks. Proteins and such. I can't see your food diary, but I know that sometimes when we are trying to eat healthy, we fill up on things that have virtually no calories, like veggies. Veggies are definitely good for you, but can fill you up for fewer calories than, say, nuts or cheese. The link from taso42 is exactly right (Banks' posts usually are, in my experience).

Of course, if you end the day having consumed at least 1200 calories, and no more than 500 leftover calories you'll be fine. Meaning, if you eat your allotted 1200 calories and exercise 500 or fewer, you'll be fine.
  • jillerin457
    Options
    800 calories is not enough to sustain a human adult, much less one who exercises. The standard here is that anything less than 1200 puts you in danger of the dreaded "starvation mode" -- which will have the opposite effect. Search the forums; there are tons of threads about it.

I'm by no means an expert, but when I hear young women talking about restricting themselves to 700-800 calories, especially in such a rigid manner, it starts to sound like a burgeoning eating disorder. Obviously I don't know you, everyone is different, etc., but I can pretty much guarantee that starving yourself will not make you healthy or beautiful.
  • kmtetour
    kmtetour Posts: 300 Member
    Options

This just shows that you haven't been trying to lose weight for ten or more years, nor have you ever been obese. You can *survive* on 800 calories, but you're not living a healthy lifestyle. The human body doesn't work that way.

And I agree with jillerin. It really does make me worry about you and the concept of eating disorders. Remember, Helice, you're only 18.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    i felt 1,200 calories was too much for me..
    and whenever i ate that amount i would feel REALLY guilty.
    and i HATED eating back my exercise calories, ijust felt like i was undoing all of my hard work burning the calories...

So i decided i would aim for a net amount of 800 calories instead of 1,200..
    which makes me alot happier..

Because on one hand of it if i slip up and eat a little too many calories.. (High 1,000's). I just exercise more until my net calories are back down to 800..

But on the other hand, if im having a day where i look at food and go uhh, then if i eat only like 700 ish, then i dont have to do any exercise...

Because i feel like as long as my net is lower than my mfp default goal of 1,200 calories then i dont need feel disgusted about how much i have eaten..
    Even if i had a shocker of a day and ate over 2,000 calories... The fact that i exercised like 1,200 makes me feel like iv eaten a sensible amount for the day...

This is not healthy, it is almost an ED exorcisia. Not recognized as one, but is nearing that stage. 800 cals NET is not enough for anyone, unless you are 4' and 75 lbs. with the amount you have to lose your goal should be 0.5 lbs/week (250 below maintenance)

This is not healthy, OP please don't follow this advice.
  • Kera885
    Kera885 Posts: 59
    Options
    I feel the same way! It's like I can't get all of them in without eating either crap that's bad for me or a TON of healthy food. I find myself eating at least every 2 hours just to make it work!
  • modernfemme
    modernfemme Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    This is probably going to get me cyber punched and ridiculed, but I feel the need to say it.

If you feel guilty for eating 1200 calories a day, I would really see someone (a therapist or nutritionist) to address your issues with food. Those who are advocating only eating 800 calories a day haven't lost a single pound (at least recorded by MFP) so please be careful where you get your advice from.

If you were eating less 1200 calories a day - trust me - that's not how you gained weight.

Now, if you change your diet and eat better foods, you may find that you are eating MORE quantity that equals the same calories as something smaller. For example. 3.5ish cups of cubed cantaloupe equals the same as say 14 chips. Yes, you are eating more - but you are taking in the same # of calories.
  • Andythefitfamilyman
    Options
    This is probably going to get me cyber punched and ridiculed, but I feel the need to say it.

If you feel guilty for eating 1200 calories a day, I would really see someone (a therapist or nutritionist) to address your issues with food. Those who are advocating only eating 800 calories a day haven't lost a single pound (at least recorded by MFP) so please be careful where you get your advice from.

If you were eating less 1200 calories a day - trust me - that's not how you gained weight.

Now, if you change your diet and eat better foods, you may find that you are eating MORE quantity that equals the same calories as something smaller. For example. 3.5ish cups of cubed cantaloupe equals the same as say 14 chips. Yes, you are eating more - but you are taking in the same # of calories.

Yes yes yes!
  • cjasins
    cjasins Posts: 93
    Options
    WOW is all I can say. I don't even use the recommended calories on MFP. I base my caloric intake on my BMR and how much I exercise. I am still eating at a deficit for weight loss but have found by increasing my intake the weight is coming off much easier and faster. I eat between 1800-1900 calories a day. I do drink protein shakes to help meet my protein and calorie goals. It seems alot of people on here are eating ridiculously low calories but that won't help anyone get healthy they will just become skinny and unhealthy.