before you even start....

Options
I've heard few rants about how frustrated MFP members get when someone comes on and asks about a quick way to lose weight so I just wanted to say to those who are thinking of posting such a thing...
I don't think it's fair on us that are in this for the long haul to be asked to comment on something we don't believe in or do. I'm here to get fit, lose weight and be a healthier person. I know it's going to take a long time and I'm prepared for that. I use this site to its full potential and when I feel down I come here and bury my head in success stories, and when I have a success story I come here and shout about it. It's what we do.
I don't know how you can lose weight in two weeks in time for your holiday, birthday, wedding, cake eating contest blah blah blah. All I know is how to support people who want to do this the proper way.
So, please. Be fair let us do our thing and we'll more than happily let you do your thing but don't ask us for advice on something we find unhealthy and wrong.
Thanks

Replies

• FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    It is really easy not to reply if something bothers you that much
  • sue26
    sue26 Posts: 412
    Options
    well said:smile:
  • clarech
    clarech Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I've heard few rants about how frustrated MFP members get when someone comes on and asks about a quick way to lose weight so I just wanted to say to those who are thinking of posting such a thing...
    I don't think it's fair on us that are in this for the long haul to be asked to comment on something we don't believe in or do. I'm here to get fit, lose weight and be a healthier person. I know it's going to take a long time and I'm prepared for that. I use this site to its full potential and when I feel down I come here and bury my head in success stories, and when I have a success story I come here and shout about it. It's what we do.
    I don't know how you can lose weight in two weeks in time for your holiday, birthday, wedding, cake eating contest blah blah blah. All I know is how to support people who want to do this the proper way.
    So, please. Be fair let us do our thing and we'll more than happily let you do your thing but don't ask us for advice on something we find unhealthy and wrong.
    Thanks
    I agree
  • horndave
    horndave Posts: 565
    Options
    CLAP CLAP CLAP.
  • jellybaby84
    jellybaby84 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    Huh? If you don't think it's fair to be asked to comment then ... don't ?!

Different people have different goals and different areas of experience. People reply to posts they know about or are interested in. Nobody's forcing you to reply to someone who's going about their weightloss or lifestyle in a different way to you.

MFP is not for one particular method, it's an internet tool for working out and logging calories in vs calories out. How people take it further is entirely up to them.
  • aj_rock
    aj_rock Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I don't think that's a fair statement to make.

For some people, there are very good medical reasons for them to drop their weight quickly; obviously I'm no doctor but to my knowledge some people will experience worse medical problems by not losing quick enough than those associated with losing too fast.

Obviously once the danger zone has been passed you'll want to segue into a more long-term, sustainable way of life. But not everyone that tries to lose weight quickly is doing so for such a vain reason. To that tune, I agree with jellybaby and say don't read respond if it's not relevant to your interests.
  • Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
    With all the misconception about weight loss, I think people really believe there is a quick solution especially since we live in "fast food" world. I think those of us that are in it for the long haul are obligated to tell people the truth, to let them know the healthy way to lose weight. It is not the easy and fast method but the healthy stick with it method
  • maryd4love
    maryd4love Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I agree...if you don't agree then don't comment. See....like I shouldn't have. LOL
  • kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    I don't think she is talking to the people who are the exception to the rule. She is talking to those Get slim quick diet pills and starvation dieting methods etc... Granted she shouldn't reply, but when people are asking for advice, then by golly good and bad advice is going to follow.

Of course there are people who must drop weight, there are those who must take medication to help them lose weight, there are all sorts of situations that don't follow the norm. But the norm of people who are obsessed with quick fixes need to be aware that for the most part this website is about doing it right.

OP I agree with you, However, I do agree that turning away from those silly posts is probably the best idea.
  • UpToAnyCool
    UpToAnyCool Posts: 1,673
    Options
    sorry you're exasperated, but i don't think the newbies do that to annoy YOU personally :noway: :laugh: :wink:

ETA: On a serious note, folks on this site were very patient w/ my questions and unfamiliarity w/ news feeds, etc. I'm grateful that my friends here have been generous w/ their knowledge...some of us weren't born knowing everything already - I wouldn't need to be here if that were the case...
  • alfredapittman
    alfredapittman Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    If we all had the answers none of us would be on MFP. Everyone must take this journey in their own way. What works for you may not work for me but as long as we are all working that is all that matters. I hope you all are having a happy and healthy day.
  • mfiggs
    mfiggs Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I agree with you. I personally get frustrated here on MFP and in my day to day life with questions like "What's the trick to losing weight"? or "What's your secret"? There is no trick and there is no secret. Losing weight the HEALTHY way is hard work but it can be done. It takes time and effort and I wish I had the will to do it a long time ago! Eating right and exercising is going to make you lose weight. For years I thought that I had to do Weight Watchers or use a diet pill, but good old fashioned sweat and watching what you eat will do it. It is going to take longer and it may be harder but losing weight is just HARD!
  • Still_Sossy
    Still_Sossy Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    Thanks

To quote you "Be fair and let us do out thing"..... then why not do the same to others who's methods you do not agree with.... they are not personally asking YOU for help, if you do not like it "BE FAIR" to these people and pass it by and support the people and fitness ideals that you personally believe in.... to each their own.
  • helenoftroy1
    helenoftroy1 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    I don't think she is talking to the people who are the exception to the rule. She is talking to those Get slim quick diet pills and starvation dieting methods etc... Granted she shouldn't reply, but when people are asking for advice, then by golly good and bad advice is going to follow.

Of course there are people who must drop weight, there are those who must take medication to help them lose weight, there are all sorts of situations that don't follow the norm. But the norm of people who are obsessed with quick fixes need to be aware that for the most part this website is about doing it right.

OP I agree with you, However, I do agree that turning away from those silly posts is probably the best idea.
    This is what I meant to say, sorry, didn't mean to offend anyone. I just get a little frustrated when people ask for advice and then get annoyed that it's not because of some quick fix pill. apologies again :ohwell:
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    Cake eating contest?

It's on like donkey Kong!!!

Do we get milk? I want red velvet and German chocolate, k thanks.
  • EdensMummy
    EdensMummy Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I agree with you. I personally get frustrated here on MFP and in my day to day life with questions like "What's the trick to losing weight"? or "What's your secret"? There is no trick and there is no secret. Losing weight the HEALTHY way is hard work but it can be done. It takes time and effort and I wish I had the will to do it a long time ago! Eating right and exercising is going to make you lose weight. For years I thought that I had to do Weight Watchers or use a diet pill, but good old fashioned sweat and watching what you eat will do it. It is going to take longer and it may be harder but losing weight is just HARD!

I don't really think people mean the actual 'secret' to losing weight...I'd be inclined to think they're just asking for any hints/tips that have helped along the way.

I have a friend who had maybe 4 or 5 stone to lose (that's about 56lbs) and she did it on the Cambridge diet, which is a VLCD (very low calorie diet). I don't agree with it, I think it's dangerous and I don't believe it leads you to understand what it is about your lifestyle that has made you overweight to begin with...my friend doesn't exercise, either, and she still orders take aways several times per week...then when she needs to drop a bit of weight she just goes back to the Cambridge Diet.

Do I think she's right? No way. Do I think doing it this way is better? Absolutely. But we live in a world that makes us believe there is a super speedy solution to everything, and I think there are a lot of people who are led to believe that there are quick ways to get weight loss results...and maybe there are. I think if people ask us about how to do it quickly/with minimal effort blah blah then I guess we're in a unique position to share our thoughts and tell them it's not the way forward.

I'm not sure they should be ridiculed for looking for the quick solution though - I don't blame them for thinking or hoping that there is a fast/easy way to lose weight, since there seems to be a fast and easy solution for everything else in this day and age!

Hope I've not offended anyone, I just think this is an interesting topic and wanted to chuck in my opinion! :)
  • Ali_TSO
    Ali_TSO Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Cake eating contest?

:laugh:
  • UpToAnyCool
    UpToAnyCool Posts: 1,673
    Options
    Cake eating contest?

Yes! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • Rhian_81
    Rhian_81 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    we live in a world that makes us believe there is a super speedy solution to everything, and I think there are a lot of people who are led to believe that there are quick ways to get weight loss results...and maybe there are.

Totally agree the world has gone crazy for quick fix options, what happened to hard graft?

Personally, I feel good when I stand on the scales, lose weight and I know I've earned it. I'm in this for the long haul, I don't see this journey as a chore, but rather its an education that MFP is facilitating. Diet pills and surgery seem like cheating to me, annd would rob me of that satisfying feeling I get.

Everybody is different and we all need support in different ways. A big thanks to all the fab MFP folks out there that do respond to posts when people need support.
  • Schwiggity
    Schwiggity Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    Can I add to read the stickies and get yourself acquainted with the search function?