I have decided to NOT eat back exercise calories..

Options
rhirvo
rhirvo Posts: 162 Member
Who else is doing this? I have calculate my BMR to be 1800 so eating 1200/day puts me at a defecit of 4200/week - I have a goal to lose 2lbs a week for the next 2 months so am supplementing this with 2800/week of exercise calories that MUST be burnt. I don't think the formula that MFP is using will allow anyone to eat less than 1200 so when I calculate it by hand it seems like the only way to really reach this goal is to not eat back those calories.

Replies

• Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    Who else is doing this? I have calculate my BMR to be 1800 so eating 1200/day puts me at a defecit of 4200/week - I have a goal to lose 2lbs a week for the next 2 months so am supplementing this with 2800/week of exercise calories that MUST be burnt. I don't think the formula that MFP is using will allow anyone to eat less than 1200 so when I calculate it by hand it seems like the only way to really reach this goal is to not eat back those calories.

I think you mean your TDEE is 1800, not your BMR.
  • bmw4deb
    bmw4deb Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    I agree..
  • rhirvo
    Options
    Every BMR calculator I have used has said 1800 plus or minus 50..
  • mauryr
    mauryr Posts: 385
    Options
    I have had success not eating back exercise cals when my bmi was over 30 or so - nor was I hungry. As my BMI approached 25, it stopped working (I plateaued for 3 months right at bmi=25), and I found that I was hungry if I didn't eat back those exercise cals.... so, at least from my experience, it depends on how much weight you have to lose.
  • wadesha
    wadesha Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Im not eating the calories i burn either. This is because of a few reasons if I try to eat those calories its like trying to eat extra just to make it to the total calorie mark even when im not hungry. Also, I thought it would defeat the purpose of all my hard work if i just ate the calories i worked hard to burn. I think its different for everyone though because my BMI was under 25 when i started
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    Go for it see what happens for two weeks and let us know I am curious to see your results.
  • rhirvo
    Options
    Ok you are right my BMR is 1523... So still the theory is the same! Who else has had success not eating back the exercise calories?
  • rhirvo
    Options
    Go for it see what happens for two weeks and let us know I am curious to see your results.

Have you been able to lose and eat back you exercise calories? We have the same goals so just wondering how much your averaging a week?
  • angelaclev
    angelaclev Posts: 95
    Options
    I am right there with you... I stopped eating them yesterday...and I did fine.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    2lbs a week is a hard goal.... I always aim for 1 pound a week. Seems easier and more sustainable. Plus I know I'll stick with it. I won't stick with a diet that too hard.
  • rhirvo
    Options
    Well it makes perfect sense - its really all a numbers game right? Burn more then you consume = weight loss.
  • rhirvo
    Options
    2lbs a week is a hard goal.... I always aim for 1 pound a week. Seems easier and more sustainable. Plus I know I'll stick with it. I won't stick with a diet that too hard.

I am going to try it for 2 months see how committed I can really get to this.. I am really trying hard to stick to my calories because I have a tenancy to get cranky after about a week of dieting and eat crap again. I figure if I obsess about the numbers (almost like a budget for your money) then I will be more successful. (Do I really want that $700 burger - LOL)
  • cath1024
    cath1024 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I used to eat back some of mine but only if i was hungry - wasnt going to force myself to eat soemthing just because i excersized.
    I have found that since i became closer to my goal weight every time i did eat back some of the calories i would either gain or maintain - so i decided to not eat the extra calories and the weight is coming off once again - i will do it this way for the last 5-10 lbs then i will play around with what i need to maintain.

Alot of people say it works for them to eat all their excersise calories but alot of people it doesnt work for either.

I experimented quite abit and found when i didnt eat back i lost and when i did eat back i maintained or gained.

Just dont starve yourself - i feel if your body is telling you you are hungry you eat and if you are content leave it alone.
  • rhirvo
    Options
    Thanks for that insight! I have been choosing really good low calorie filling foods so I have been OK I think it really is a mindset and how bad you want it. Eating out is by far the worst!
  • 27strange
    27strange Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    Go for it a couple of weeks and see what happens.....please post results to share.

I have not been eating back my calories for the last month and feel fine and am losing weight. I expect as I get closer to my weight goal that I will have to increase my food intake (eat back my workout calories) in order to continue to lose weight and not plateau. But for now its working to not eat them so I am not.

I believe it really depends on how much you need to lose, what your BMI is, what you are accustomed to eating and so forth. I am not hungry and have energy so I don't bother eating what I feel is a bunch of extra just for the sake of doing so.
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options

Have you been able to lose and eat back you exercise calories? We have the same goals so just wondering how much your averaging a week?

I eat back my calories but i dont just do cardio I do strength training too so i am trying to feed my muscle. I was thinking of eating 1200 and not eating back what i burn but i havnt done that yet. I posted a topic yesterday about it. I was convinced nott o and somehow ended up raising my calories for the day to 1500 lol.

I have lost weight before 80lbs and I didnt count calories i just followed rules, no pop, dont eat 3 hours before bed, i did calisthenics exercises and i didnt over eat when i had a meal. I am going to try onot to stress out about this and continue to eat healthy and exercise.
    It's a life style change for me so I should calm down live to live not t to eat or to exercise or to count calories. i am going to make a list of things i want to achieve through exercise and being active to keep things exciting.
  • FairyMiss
    FairyMiss Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    i used to not eat them back at all, iinfact i used to have trouble getting to my 1200. since i kicked up the exericise routine buy adding Insanity i find i am eating more including some of my exercise cals, need them been needing the fuel
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I started by not eating back all my exercise calories because I was buring about 1500 a day. On days that I burn 1500 a day I still don't eat them all back, I just can't seem to force feed that much. I have since decrease the amount of exercise I do and get a little closer on the calorie net. on days where I burn 500 a day I do eat them back (or at least try to get within 200 c . . . usually in wine and ice cream). This has worked for me. I lost 25 pounds in 12 weeks.
  • dragonflydi
    dragonflydi Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Ok you are right my BMR is 1523... So still the theory is the same! Who else has had success not eating back the exercise calories?

Not me. Not eating mine back slowed my metabolism down, but when I eat them back, I drop weight. Everyone reacts differently though ...
  • rhirvo
    Options
    I started by not eating back all my exercise calories because I was buring about 1500 a day. On days that I burn 1500 a day I still don't eat them all back, I just can't seem to force feed that much. I have since decrease the amount of exercise I do and get a little closer on the calorie net. on days where I burn 500 a day I do eat them back (or at least try to get within 200 c . . . usually in wine and ice cream). This has worked for me. I lost 25 pounds in 12 weeks.

Thats incredibe! GOOD JOB