Top Ten Reasons To Give Up Dieting

Options
10. DIETS DON'T WORK. Even if you lose weight, you will probably gain it all back, and you might gain back more than you lost.

9. DIETS ARE EXPENSIVE. If you didn't buy special diet products, you could save enough to get new clothes, which would improve your outlook right now.

8. DIETS ARE BORING. People on diets talk and think about food and practically nothing else. There's a lot more to life.

7. DIETS DON'T NECESSARILY IMPROVE YOUR HEALTH. Like the weight loss, health improvement is temporary. Dieting can actually cause health problems.

6. DIETS DON'T MAKE YOU BEAUTIFUL. Very few people will ever look like models. Glamour is a look, not a size. You don't have to be thin to be attractive.

5. DIETS ARE NOT SEXY. If you want to be more attractive, take care of your body and your appearance. Feeling healthy makes you look your best.

4. DIETS CAN TURN INTO EATING DISORDERS. The obsession to be thin can lead to anorexia, bulimia, bingeing, and compulsive exercising.

3. DIETS CAN MAKE YOU AFRAID OF FOOD. Food nourishes and comforts us, and gives us pleasure. Dieting can make food seem like your enemy, and can deprive you of all the positive things about food.

2. DIETS CAN ROB YOU OF ENERGY. If you want to lead a full and active life, you need good nutrition, and enough food to meet your body's needs.

And the number one reason to give up dieting:

1. Learning to love and accept yourself just as you are will give you self-confidence, better health, and a sense of wellbeing that will last a lifetime.

Replies

• Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options
    10. DIETS DON'T WORK. Even if you lose weight, you will probably gain it all back, and you might gain back more than you lost.

9. DIETS ARE EXPENSIVE. If you didn't buy special diet products, you could save enough to get new clothes, which would improve your outlook right now.

8. DIETS ARE BORING. People on diets talk and think about food and practically nothing else. There's a lot more to life.

7. DIETS DON'T NECESSARILY IMPROVE YOUR HEALTH. Like the weight loss, health improvement is temporary. Dieting can actually cause health problems.

6. DIETS DON'T MAKE YOU BEAUTIFUL. Very few people will ever look like models. Glamour is a look, not a size. You don't have to be thin to be attractive.

5. DIETS ARE NOT SEXY. If you want to be more attractive, take care of your body and your appearance. Feeling healthy makes you look your best.

4. DIETS CAN TURN INTO EATING DISORDERS. The obsession to be thin can lead to anorexia, bulimia, bingeing, and compulsive exercising.

3. DIETS CAN MAKE YOU AFRAID OF FOOD. Food nourishes and comforts us, and gives us pleasure. Dieting can make food seem like your enemy, and can deprive you of all the positive things about food.

2. DIETS CAN ROB YOU OF ENERGY. If you want to lead a full and active life, you need good nutrition, and enough food to meet your body's needs.

And the number one reason to give up dieting:

1. Learning to love and accept yourself just as you are will give you self-confidence, better health, and a sense of wellbeing that will last a lifetime.
  • Mahlia
    Mahlia Posts: 190
    Options
    This is very true. :] But there's a difference between eating healthily and dieting, lol. I wish people would realise that. -_- When I say I'm not on a diet, they say "Suuuuuure."
  • renae5
    renae5 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Honey I know what you mean... I've been 240 and 120 in my llife and guess what neither made me happier or.... less sexy to my man, SO I am not on a "diet" I am on a life mission to become a healthier me, wife and Mom. Besides I want to make sure I live long enough to torture my husband and kids in my old age:tongue::tongue: :tongue:
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    Same here. When I was younger I weighed 140 (I am 5'9") and I thought I was fat, I wouldn't wear certain clothes or let my husband see me nekid, at least not on purpose. I figured out later in life that I was always tall, I reached my full height by 7th grade and that I was bigger but not fat.

After I gained weight during pregnancy my husband hasn't said a single word, and the babies are 10 & 14 now so I can't blame baby weight anymore! :laugh: It didn't bother me to be bigger until about 34 when what used to be a bit firm started to allow gravity to have some fun :cry:

so now it is about getting healthier, fitter and yes, living long enough to pester my great great grand children just like my great grandmother did! :flowerforyou:
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options
    :flowerforyou:
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    great post chick, thanks:flowerforyou:
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options
    :bigsmile: :yawn:
    great post chick, thanks:flowerforyou:
    :drinker:
  • carajo
    carajo Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    Great post....It's amazing how your outlook changes when you stop 'dieting" and develop a lifestyle change.....the foods you once thought you LOVED are no longer that appealing, you begin to enjoy working out and being active, the best part is there is never anything off limits, and food isn't the enemy....such a great feeling to realize! Thanks for the post
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options
    Great post....It's amazing how your outlook changes when you stop 'dieting" and develop a lifestyle change.....the foods you once thought you LOVED are no longer that appealing, you begin to enjoy working out and being active, the best part is there is never anything off limits, and food isn't the enemy....such a great feeling to realize! Thanks for the post

Oh I hear ya...so true! It's a great feeling of power when the food is no longer in control, we are.:drinker:

I found even quitting using the word 'diet' changed my thinking...sometimes when I hear it ..it makes me cringe as I think of it as something so very temporary, unhealthy and only dissapointment is coming a person's way if they diet...

Words can be so powerful!:drinker:
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    I tell myself everyday that I am doing this to be healthier. More and more I read that breast cancer is linked to obesity - well guess what I had NO other risk factors so they may just be right. I want to be the healthiest me I can be. By me eating better, my family is too.

I find that I actually do like fruits and veggies - ask me that 3 months ago and I would have said - I'll pass!