FEWER CALORIES?!! What The Heck?

Options
So MFP said I should re-evaluate my goals since I had lost weight, so I did...now I have 100 fewer calories each day :sad: That doesn't seem like a good reward for losing weight! (but how exciting to have reached that point) :sigh: I guess I'll just reward myself with some new clothes or something!

Replies

• cupcake568
    cupcake568 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    So MFP said I should re-evaluate my goals since I had lost weight, so I did...now I have 100 fewer calories each day :sad: That doesn't seem like a good reward for losing weight! (but how exciting to have reached that point) :sigh: I guess I'll just reward myself with some new clothes or something!
  • renae5
    renae5 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Yah!! for you. Don't understand to fewer calories either but congrats on the major milestone!!:happy: :happy: :happy:
  • momto3hmn
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Congrats to your goal!! This happened to me after I lost my first 10 pounds. Not sure if it will be every 10 pounds or maybe the break that part of it up. The weight I want to get for my body size eats roughly. I had read several sights and talked with my doctor regarding calories and he explained to me, that if I keep eating the same amount of calories I have always eaten plus my exercise calories It will be painfully hard to lose weight. Say you want to be 120 pounds and a person of that size to maintain weight should eat 1300 calories day (not including work out calories) then you should gradually work yourself down to eating like a person of 120 pounds. Does that make sense? Changing the way we take in food and exercise regularly will keep our metabolisms on track.

I was bummed to see my calorie intake drop 70 calories day. But that's like a half of cup of juice or a serving of cereal I eat. I laughed a sad laugh. But After a few days of adjusting things have become normal again! :flowerforyou:
  • ErinRNinMaine
    ErinRNinMaine Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    If you're familiar with Weight Watchers--the more you weigh the more Points you get, and the less you weight the fewer Points you get.

Your weight is one factor that determines your basal metabolic rate--or how much energy your body needs to function. The less you weigh, the fewer calories your body needs to maintain this weight. That's why they took away calories due to your shrinking body mass!

Think of it as a milestone, not a tragedy! Congrats on the weight loss! :flowerforyou:
  • momto3hmn
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Congrats to your goal!! This happened to me after I lost my first 10 pounds. Not sure if it will be every 10 pounds or maybe the break that part of it up. The weight I want to get for my body size eats roughly. I had read several sights and talked with my doctor regarding calories and he explained to me, that if I keep eating the same amount of calories I have always eaten plus my exercise calories It will be painfully hard to lose weight. Say you want to be 120 pounds and a person of that size to maintain weight should eat 1300 calories day (not including work out calories) then you should gradually work yourself down to eating like a person of 120 pounds. Does that make sense? Changing the way we take in food and exercise regularly will keep our metabolisms on track.

I was bummed to see my calorie intake drop 70 calories day. But that's like a half of cup of juice or a serving of cereal I eat. I laughed a sad laugh. But After a few days of adjusting things have become normal again! :flowerforyou:

HAHAHA It's still to early, apparently I can't spell and I guess that means I should re-read before posting. lol.. what a great laugh. Sorry about that!
  • cupcake568
    Options
    I get that the less I weigh the fewer calories I need, it just isn't a lot of incentive - But in reality, I only lost like a glass of milk or something. So yea for me for needing fewer calories!!
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options
    I get that the less I weigh the fewer calories I need, it just isn't a lot of incentive - But in reality, I only lost like a glass of milk or something. So yea for me for needing fewer calories!!

But do you really WANT food to be an incentive? It's a weird thing thing the numbers drop on our daily calorie alotment...I see them dropping all the time, now i"m used to it...sorta. lol It's not like I want them back as it means I'm not in need of them anymore.

Have you set mini-goals for yourself along the way? Some members set goals for each 10 lbs., money put aside for nail polish for our nail polish junkie (Pistol Chickie:smooched: ), other do the shoes, the belt, get their nails down when they go down to a certain goal.

Take a look when you're poking around and see what some have on their profiles on goals...it's fun to see what others have set when they get to a certain point.

One thing I've read and have to agree with...is NEVER NEVER reward yourself with food when you set your goals. I mean a treat or something at the end of the evening or each week, or a special dinner for your birthday is perfectly fine .....I think you know what I mean. :happy:

It makes perfect sense too.....in the past that's what many of us have done, rewarded ourselves with food, for being sad, mad, confused, happy, depressed.....and on it goes.

Now we have learned a new way of approaching food....having a healthier relationship with it...it's a great feeling to move past all that and find other ways to reward our hard work!:drinker: :flowerforyou:
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options
    :drinker:
  • cupcake568
    Options
    My reward is pulling clothes out of the closet that haven't fit in years. I know when I get under the 200 mark (only 2 pounds away from that) there's something special in it for me - I'm not sure what yet though!
  • burb265
    Options
    The reason the calories drop is that the less you weigh, the less calories you burn doing the exact same thing. So know to burn the same amount of calories you either have to workout longer or workout harder.
  • Robin_
    Robin_ Posts: 105
    Options
    Just a twenty minute walk....and you've got your 100 calories back to eat!:drinker:
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options
    My reward is pulling clothes out of the closet that haven't fit in years. I know when I get under the 200 mark (only 2 pounds away from that) there's something special in it for me - I'm not sure what yet though!

Well one great thing is you're in twoderville right now....and in 2 lbs. you'll be in :flowerforyou: WunderVille!!:flowerforyou:

Oh how much fun is that to yank clothes out of the closet and find they fit!!! YEA! What's surprising and a good reason to keep track of what's not quite fitting yet but close is sometimes you go back and you've waited too long and now it's to big! :laugh: :laugh: :sad: :sad: