One dumb breadstick!!!!

Options
2»

Replies

• 27strange
    27strange Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    Love the cheddar bay biscuits at Red Lobster. I have a figure friendly recipe below. My husband says they are better than Red Lobster's.

Garlic Cheddar Biscuits

2 tbsp butter, melted
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    2 tbsp fresh chopped parsley
    2 cups Heart Smart Bisquick
    3.5 oz shredded sharp Cheddar cheese (Cabot 50% reduced fat)
    2/3 cup fat free milk

Preheat oven to 400°. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.

Melt butter in a small frying pan, add half the garlic and saute on low heat about 1 minute. Remove from heat and add parsley.

In a large bowl, combine biscuit mix, cheddar cheese, and remaining garlic. Stir in milk and mix (do not over mix). Drop batter by heaping tablespoonfuls (1.5 oz each) onto prepared cookie sheet.

Bake for 10 minutes. Brush or drizzle biscuits with melted butter. Bake for 5 more minutes, or until lightly browned on the bottom.

Sounds yummy! Do you know how many calories each biscuit is? When we are really craving a cheddar biscuit we make some bisquik mix that is as good as Dixie Stampedes biscuits but not quite as good as Red Lobsters, but at least the biscuits are 150 calories a piece. Your recipe sounds amazing and we will try it!!!
  • spatticus
    spatticus Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    You can actually order your breadsticks "dry" meaning no butter and it saves a lot of cals. The minestrone soup is low cal high fiber like around 100 cals per bowl aaand you can order fat free dressing on your salad. You can eat where you want people!
  • 27strange
    27strange Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    You can actually order your breadsticks "dry" meaning no butter and it saves a lot of cals. The minestrone soup is low cal high fiber like around 100 cals per bowl aaand you can order fat free dressing on your salad. You can eat where you want people!

great advice! just be picky and ask for subsitutes!:-)
  • gnat45
    gnat45 Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    One breadstick once in a while isn't going to derail you. The trick is stopping at one.
  • AJCoombs
    AJCoombs Posts: 16
    Options
    They also have 150. :(
  • Thriceshy
    Thriceshy Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I had Olive Garden for lunch today and found out that one of their breadsticks is 150 calories!
    after finding that out, it was so easy for me not to eat that thing!!!

I remember the days of eating 3-4 of those breadsticks along with my meal!!!! YIKES!

~when you know better...DO BETTER~

Isn't it breathtaking? When my doc said "you're diabetic" and I started looking at carbs and calories in the restaurants I frequented? Wow! One meal, almost 500 carbs and over 3,000 calories!

Good job steering clear of the breadstick!

Kris
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

But the breadstick is still going to be white bread, so not only are you blowing a good number of your calories but it will spike your insulin levels. You might be better off eating the few drops of butter and skipping the breadstick.
  • bcattoes
    Options
    Yeah, it's a shame because they are so yummy! The lack of whole grain bread options, whether breadsticks, rolls or buns, in restaurants is a pet peeve of mine. I might not mind the extra calories if I knew it was whole grain. But I usually just ask servers not to even bring bread to the table.

Seriously! I don't understand the lack of whole grain in restaurants. I mean, they don't have to go completely whole grain, but where are the options?!

I always ask if they have whole grain options (they rarely do) and if the receipt has one of those survey links on it I always take it and in the comments section say that they need to offer whole grain options. Apparently my one little voice isn't doing much good because none of the restaurants in my little town, which are nearly all chains, offer it yet. But I will keep trying. :ohwell:
  • tabi26
    tabi26 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    well obviously, i have a long long long way to go. i am now salivating just thinking about one breadstick. i'm going to go drink some water. :-(

I too want breadsticks now lol. Thankfully I live in the middle of nowhere and don't have anything even remotely resembling a breadstick in my house (not even bread! lol)
  • cvstokke
    cvstokke Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    ugh this makes me so sad - i RARELY eat olive garden but i like to go there nights before races (5Ks, 10Ks) - thoughts on how to carb load without being TOO bad?
  • Stumbleine
    Stumbleine Posts: 55 Member
    Options

I always ask if they have whole grain options (they rarely do) and if the receipt has one of those survey links on it I always take it and in the comments section say that they need to offer whole grain options. Apparently my one little voice isn't doing much good because none of the restaurants in my little town, which are nearly all chains, offer it yet. But I will keep trying. :ohwell:

I never thought about taking the surveys and mentioning that. I'm going to do that from now on!
  • j_courter
    j_courter Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    please tell me the texas roadhouse roll's calories is WITH the cinnamon honey butter!!! please!?
  • j_courter
    j_courter Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    oh no you didn't just post that biscuit recipe!? *headed to the store for bisquick* lol.
  • divalovely
    divalovely Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Wow! Didnt know you could order the breadsticks "dry"....thanks for this info:)
  • FieryNikkie
    FieryNikkie Posts: 61 Member
    Options

I work at Olive Garden and I would be wary of counting on a lot of this stuff. Yes you can get the breadsticks dry and it is easy enough to tell when they aren't. But the dressing is actually low fat, not fat free and still has TONS of calories. You also need to watch the croutons because they carry a lot of the calories too. And the minestrone soup is 100 calories per serving but many servers put at least 1.5 in each bowl.

Your best bet for entrees is the Venetian Apricot Chicken. 280 calories in a lunch order for the entire meal. I would suggest always ordering the lunch portion actually. They don't tell you but you can order it any time of day :)
  • FieryNikkie
    FieryNikkie Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Yeah, it's a shame because they are so yummy! The lack of whole grain bread options, whether breadsticks, rolls or buns, in restaurants is a pet peeve of mine. I might not mind the extra calories if I knew it was whole grain. But I usually just ask servers not to even bring bread to the table.

Seriously! I don't understand the lack of whole grain in restaurants. I mean, they don't have to go completely whole grain, but where are the options?!

Olive Garden does offer whole grain linguini. You can replace any pasta with it.
  • bcattoes
    Options

Olive Garden does offer whole grain linguini. You can replace any pasta with it.

Yes, they do have that one option. But they don't offer whole grain breads.
  • Brandon74
    Brandon74 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I like Olive Garden breadsticks also.

I also love Pizza Hut's breadsticks and cheesebreadsticks with the marinara sauce.

Have to stay away from those places.