looking to make a lo cal tvp burger

Options
kittyloo123
kittyloo123 Posts: 300 Member
anyone cook using the tvp(textured vegetable protien)?
It really is not bad at all. It's half the calories of meat, and has just as much protien.
I would like to be able to make a patty. I found one receipe, but it had alot of flour, and no cal breakdown with it.
I tried the premade turkey pattys, and they are really good, but too high in calories.
The packaged type, sodium.
What could i use as a binder that would not be too high in calories? TIA

Replies

• sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    Try the recipe you found, and add less flour. Use the recipe calculator on this website to find the calorie breakdown. :happy:
  • kittyloo123
    kittyloo123 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    could i use something in place of flour, that was lower in calories?
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    I am not certain at all. I did a quick internet search on substitution of binding agents, and found this:
    Substitute. Gluten-free flour substitutions include amaranth flour, bean flour, corn flour, corn meal, millet flour, ground nuts, oat flour, potato flour, quinoa flour, rice flour, sorghum flour, soy flour, and tapioca flour or starch. In most cases, one cup of wheat flour can be evenly exchanged for one cup of whichever alternative flour you choose. “In wheat-free, gluten-free cooking and baking, substitutions and additions can be made using a different type of flour and adding binding agents to the flour" to replace the gluten, explains Ellis. Often, mixing more than one type of flour together provides the best result. You may also find that a flour mixture that works well for one recipe may not be the best for another — you may have to experiment.