time of day to exercise

Options
just curious about what you guys think about that time of day to exercise.

the past couple weeks or so i've sometimes been so lazy, no thats a bad word, lethargic, that i'll do a late night work out around 9 or so. Or a couple of times, i've gotten out of work at 11pm and then worked out after that for about an hour. I usually shoot to get my @$$ out of bed by 930 to be to the gym by 1030am, or i do an afternoon workout. Lately i like the afternoon workouts but as previously stated sometimes im just too..slow moving. :)

So my question is, just for fun, what time of day do you guys workout and does it really make a difference as to what time of a day a person works out or is excercise good excercise at any time of day?

Replies

• olag00
    olag00 Posts: 222
    Options
    It doesn't matter when you workout as long as you do. There are benefits to doing either.

I get up at 4:15am to workout before the day begins so I know nothing can happen during the day to keep from working out!
  • JoceyyySmall
    JoceyyySmall Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on the person, one of my friends loves morning workouts. I feel tired a couple hours after if I work out early in the morning. I like doing it in the afternoon/evenings like after 4 sometime. That's just what I've gotten myself accustomed too.
  • ShrinkingNinja
    ShrinkingNinja Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I have read somewhere that you get more of a metabolic boost by working out in the morning before eating. Having said that, I am a night time workout person. I like to workout... shower.... and sleep. LOL
  • Lucky79z28
    Lucky79z28 Posts: 31
    Options
    I try to get it in as early as I can! I ty to get to the gym by 5:00AM so I can get a hour in and still shower before I have to get to work!
  • Shutterpillar
    Options
    i just do it when I can. sometimes that means as soon as I wake up, sometimes that means after lunch while my son has his nap, and sometimes that means at 9:00pm when the kids are in bed and I finally have time to myself.
  • stanvoodoo
    stanvoodoo Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    Most recommend morning before you eat.

So far that it not for me at least during the week so I do afterwork and later at night.

Most important is that you exercise! Increase as often as you can without hurting yourself!
  • AmandaOc2011
    Options
    I have started to work out 3 times daily now, started it a couple of weeks ago! I usually get up round 7.30 am and do 30 mins of walking/jogging, then mid after noon ill do another 20 and then in the evening ill do another 20/30.. feeling great!
  • Deon918
    Deon918 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    i try my best to get up at 8 , eat breakfast and chill for a hour and start my work out at 9:30 whether its running or doing p90 because imo its the best way to get your metabolism going by working out early in the morning and i am by no means a morning person but i set the alarm on my phone and just force my a## out of the bed if i have to lol
  • FatDadSlim
    FatDadSlim Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Usually wake up at 5:40am weekdays for 45 mins exercise then have the weekend off, if for whatever reason i skip a weekday then i make up for it at some point during the weekend.
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter when you workout as long as you do. There are benefits to doing either.

I get up at 4:15am to workout before the day begins so I know nothing can happen during the day to keep from working out!

thats what I call self- discipline!
  • nitashagarcia
    Options
    i work out in the late mornings! normally around 10 or 11! i have no energy to do early morning before breakfast, which is recommended. i need some sort of a small carb intake for breakfast! :)
  • sammys1girly
    sammys1girly Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    I like to work out around 9:30 to 10
  • khodges15
    khodges15 Posts: 114
    Options
    Thank you all for your responses. Some of you sound just like me. You get it in when you can, and if you miss a weekday you make it up on the weekend. Good to know that whatever it is that i'm doing is still OK! Thank you all for your responses.

Much Love to you all MFP
    <3 KH
  • nastytater
    nastytater Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I'm kind of a late nighter,so I usually don't get in bed til around 1am or 2 am in the morning...Usually wake around 8 am or 9 am,and have my workout after my morning Caffine Kick...Usually I;m done with my workout by 12 noon,so the rest of the day is mine unless I eat a large lunch...If that happens,I usually get the bike out and ride up and down the driveway several times to kick out a few extra burnt calories...Just trying to keep the cals in check sometimes is a chore,but usually the workout in the mornings takes care of that.
  • squishycow7
    squishycow7 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    if I don't do it first thing in the morning... chances are I won't do it :(

or I'll just go for a walk instead of a more intense kind of workout.
  • BioQueen
    BioQueen Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I like to work out an hour after breakfast in the mornings (around 7 or 8), at least for the summer. I also work in the afternoons so I can't work out then. I am from New England so when fall starts and I am back at school I will change to midday or evenings. It's mostly about when it fits in! I do prefer mornings though, I hate to exercise after my stomach has been full for a while.
  • James_1954
    James_1954 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    My schedule being what it is, I haven't got much choice: I start out each weekday at the Y at 5:15 or so. I doubt it's really my optimal time, because I've noticed that on the weekends when I'm there later, I get a little better workout and it even feels a little easier. BUT ... I think there's a social aspect to it, too. After the years I've been doing this, I know practically all of the early morning regulars -- they've become friends, and I wouldn't want to miss seeing them. If I retired or won the lottery or something, and didn't need to go to the day job, I think I'd still be getting up early and heading for the Y. In fact, I know I would -- because I do it now, when I take a vacation day (or week).