Pregnant and Puking!

Options
I am newly pregnant and have not had morning sickness (yet). If I puke up my food, can I add back those calories to eat up later? Is there a time guideline on when it would count and when it wouldn't? As in, are the calories absorbed after a certain amount of time? I want to make sure I'm getting enough food for the baby without going overboard. Thanks!

Replies

• amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    Great question, I'd like to know myself. I'm not pregnant yet but we are trying. Congrats BTW!
  • bella8282
    bella8282 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    thats not something you should ask here. i think thats something to ask your GP or medical carer....
    sometimes you can just feel nausious but need to eat to stop that feeling. your number one priority should be staying healthy- not trying to still count calories. just eat healthy and no junk.
  • mizzsolero
    mizzsolero Posts: 47
    Options
    my docter told me i only needed to eat 100-200 cal extra a day to make sure my baba got everything he needed.
    i vomited millions, and the docter told me not to overeat because:
    your baby is like a leech (yes these are the exact words!) and will take nutrition out of food before you do.
    i vomited every meal back up for about 5/6 months, and my boy is big strong and healthy.
    if you are worried, i suggest to contact your GP to get professional advice :)
  • bella8282
    bella8282 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    oh and good luck :) I hope everything goes well with your pregnancy's.
    I had morning sickness with only 1 of my kids.
  • nmescalera
    nmescalera Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I've had 3 babies so ive ben to the dr a few times! lol You really only need 300 calories extra a day while your prego. The whole eating for 2 is not true.... thats what leaves you as 2 people in the end... trust my i know that and thats why im here! lol You should start eating the extra cals once you start into your 2nd trimester. Im not sure how much you weigh but ig you are over weight it is recmmended that oyu only gain like 20lbs and then if you are under weight its like 30-35lbs that you should gain. and in between if you are avg.
  • scubacat
    scubacat Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I had this problem a few years back. I would get sick and then become worried that I was depriving my baby of nutrition so I would try to eat it back. Over the course of 9 months, I gained more weight than was desirable. I asked my OB this very same question but she never had a straight answer for me just basically told me to get my face out of the feeding trough (she wasn't a nice person) . I would talk to your doctor about it, hopefully you get a better response than I did. I do know that they look for ketones in your urine which would be one indicator that you were losing weight from vomitting.