50% of Calories from Saturated Fat?

minyME
minyME Posts: 10
edited September 29 in Food and Nutrition
I read this somewhere, not sure what to think about it. Is it nutritionally sound? will it cause healthy weight loss?

1. Limit your calories to what is appropriate for your size and activity level.
2. Only eat natural fats, not transfats or processed vegetable oils (cook food in butter or coconut oil)
3. Limit your carb intake to 100 grams per day (not the 300 grams per day suggested by the FDA)
4. Get about 50% of your calories from saturated fats
5. Avoid foods with a high glycemic index (note that most unsweetened cereals still have a glycemic index rating that is higher than granulated sugar)

Replies

• Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    I'm sure someone, somewhere will argue that this is nutritionally sound, but most people well educted in nutrition/health wouldn't. I'm not an expert by any means, but this is way beyond the realm of what I've seen for reasonable splits between carbs/fat/protein. Read this to get a more reasonable approach - it gives recommended ranges for fat/carbs/protein, and not a one-size-fits-all answer: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/233474-the-latest-diet

----

Realizing now that you may have been posting your question in a sarcastic manner... my apologies if you weren't serious.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    :tongue:
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Yea...if you're eating a minimum of 600 calories from saturated fats...you're gonna have a heart attack. There's nothing wrong with healthy fats, but they aren't the saturated kind. This diet also makes no mention of protein...that's another problem in itself.
  • skeetpea
    skeetpea Posts: 241 Member
    sounds very similar to how the guy who did the documentary "Fat Head" ate. If you have netflix it is on instant streaming. check it out!
  • arw060310
    arw060310 Posts: 256 Member
    sounds very similar to how the guy who did the documentary "Fat Head" ate. If you have netflix it is on instant streaming. check it out!

I was just thinking that same thing!
This discussion has been closed.