Need Help Staying on Track

Options
I have been doing MFP for about 95 days now and I feel like I am on a HUGE roller coaster. I want to hit my goals so bad and then fattening food just looks so good. For the most part I was killing it with only 1 free day per week and then my family came into town and it was pretty much 8 days of hell eating on my body. I am back on track now and feeling bummed out because in 90 days I feel like I should be at a 30lb loss and on my way to onederland and I am still 213 and feel like it's forever away. Thanks for listening to me wine, I usually am not a winer I just need some support right now. Thank you :-)

Replies

• jessdeweerdt
    jessdeweerdt Posts: 128
    Options
    I've heard it said, and it's very true.. we didn't put the pounds on overnight and they're not going to magically go away overnight either. It's about the day to day. I know when I make mistakes, if it's one meal, I feel so guilty, but if it's a day or a weekend, I feel like it's hopeless and I should just eat what I want. I always go to the success stories, somehow I always find the motivation to keep going! It is a roller coaster for sure.. but in life, what isn't?? Good Luck!!!
  • LushLoni
    LushLoni Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    i lost motivation after i got ill a couple of weeks ago. I sort of lost my focus and my drive.

Understanding how i felt was key; i knew that i was frustrated by not feeling healthy and being able to get my exercise in and I only really had cravings for comfort food but my one distinct determination was not to gain the weight i had already lost.

So i focussed instead on maintaining through those weeks and i have succeeded in that. Now I've had this small break I feel happier and more motivated to get things moving again - i'm still not 100% in health but i know i feel its the right time to start my diet again.

What I'm saying is just give yourself time, subconciously your brain may be telling you that it is scared of losing any more weight right now; so just be patient, maintain, and when the time is right to focus again you'll be well away.

good luck x
  • MissyHarb
    MissyHarb Posts: 19
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel. I do the same thing. I will do really good for a while then something happens (holiday, family, whatever) then it seems everything goes out the door. I eat what I want then I feel bad later. I am 215 and would love to be in onederland. Someday I will make it if it kills me. Just stay motivated to do better. We have a saying at my Tops group.....Tomorrow begins a new week. So, just start new today and don't beat yourself up over what is in the past.
  • JolieBlonde
    Options
    At least try to log in every day and stay as active as possible on the site. We all have ups and downs. I signed up on here in January but then didn't stay active and gained 6 lbs. The site isn't magic but just know that everyone on here is fighting the same fight and battles. Whether it's 6lbs or 60lbs we are all fighting to get healthy :) Just stick w/it!!!
  • johnsonjk
    johnsonjk Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I think you need to do some maths. 30 pounds in 13 weeks is over 2 lbs per week. That is extremely fast and probably unhealthy to maintain. I think your weight loss expectations are too fast. .

You have lost 17 lbs in 90 days. That is fantastic progress and over 1 lb per week. That is great progress.

Have a look at your goals -- you are expecting to lose 10 lbs a month for the next 5 month. You are setting goals for you to lose 2.5 pounds per week. That is more than is recommended. The closer you get to your goal weight, the harder it will be and the slower the weight loss will go because you just don't have the calories that you can cut to get the weight down. You have set yourself up for missing those goals already.

Try setting your goals on a more realistic number: 1 lb per week. That will get you down another 20 lbs by Thanksgiving. You will have lost almost 40 lbs by then and you will look fabulous. It is also much more of a maintainable life-style change.

I think you have made fantastic progress. You've done brilliantly and I'm hoping you'll keep the changes you have made and keep on going.

Best of luck.
  • realm69
    realm69 Posts: 23
    Options
    I feel like I could have written this myself, I have had an absolutely blah couple of weeks and I am so close to goal it just depresses me that I keep screwing up and then what do I want to do? EAT MORE! I have decided that I am going to take it one day at a time just like any other addiction and stop beating myself up. The only thing I am accomplishing by being hard on myself is giving me more excuses to feel bad and EAT MYSELF HAPPY, which by the way NEVER works. Just remember that you are worth the effort that it takes to make this happen and like another poster said don't push yourself too hard or you are setting yourself up for failure. Good luck I know you can do it. :-)
  • thepyro395
    thepyro395 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I lost my motivation and focus once I turned 21. I was then able to go out with my buddies and drink and eat bar food. Doing this we found a great pizzeria and bar and we go there once a week. It would be ok if I only ate one piece and drank a lite beer, but that is never where it stops. We always order a large pizza and I eat 2-3 pieces then we splurge on the alcohol like its water.
  • dmhaag
    dmhaag Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Add me if you'd like...I've had my struggles and taken breaks from MFP, but found that I always come back, because it's such a positive influence to my weight loss.