Under Arm & Inner Thigh Flab

Options
I just started using myfitnesspal yesterday so I hope I am posting this question in the right area, if not I apologize. Does anyone have any advice on how to get rid of the under arm & inner thigh flab? I have found exercises designed to tone the arms or thighs but none of them seem to work for that inner flab, so any help/ advice would be appreciated!

Replies

• curvycreation
    curvycreation Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    My underarm flab is horrible! I would love to see these tips! My arms look more like chicken wings then human arms... smh
  • Heatherbelle_87
    Heatherbelle_87 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    If its fat over your muscle add some seriouse cardio on top of those strength training excercises and you will see your results. I do push ups for arms and upper back fat which helped trememndously and hip abductors (gym equipment) and squats for that inner thigh "pouch" and its a slow process but it will happen
  • sche1amy
    sche1amy Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Would love to know answer too :0)
  • LauraLLee
    LauraLLee Posts: 210
    Options
    I dont know but I know Im concerned too. I have been using firming lotions everyday in hopes that when I am finally to were I need to be my skin wont just lie there and jiggle all the day long. If it does I am wondering if I should be saving up for some skin removals?...
  • psb13
    psb13 Posts: 629
    Options
    me too
  • LushLoni
    LushLoni Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Well you need to burn fat and tone the muscle, so incorporate cardio with free weights on your triceps and lunges for fat loss and toning.

You can't "spot train" parts of your body and some places lose more quickly than others - I carry my weight on my limbs mostly but it is my stomach and my breasts where the weight has come off most noticeably first and foremost.
  • clrrrr
    clrrrr Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    There is no such thing as spot reducing. Any toning you do will show up once you reduce the amount of fat covering the muscle. As you know, you lose fat by achieving a calorie deficit. However, it is not possible to force the fat you lose to come off of any particular body part. In fact, if you exercise that area without losing any fat, it will appear even larger due to the increase in size of the underlying muscle.
  • Jellyphant
    Jellyphant Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    For my flabby arm wings, I was told to do weights targeting the arms BEFORE doing my cardio, then doing more weights. As someone put it, you're supposed to 'cook your fat'. Weights supposably burn the carbs that you've had, then cardio targets the fat underneath. Anyone correct me if I'm way wrong or anything, but that's what I was told and what I've been doing.
  • ebizzles147
    Options
    Like other people have said, you have to mix some cardio in. For me, Cardio yoga does the trick. It's a great way 20 min. workout that not only tones your body, but also gets your heart rate up to burn fat! Hope this helps. :)
  • MargieNgainesville
    Options
    I too have gained and lost large amounts of weight over and over again. I am determined for this to be my last trip. When you are older than 40 and have lost (or will lose) over 100 lbs. I'm afraid, there is not much that excercise and creams can do for the excess skin that will be left. Younger and esp if weight loss is less than 60-70 lbs.. I think there is hope with time and perservance. I hope I am wrong, but what I am seeing and knowing what I have done to my body over the years.. I'm saving money... lol
  • Gretchen27
    Gretchen27 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I would like to know as well, it seems that my arms are the only place that I have noticeably lost weight but when I hold up my arm it looks like Granny panties hanging on a clothes line flapping in the breeze! when my arms are at my sides they look like deflated overinflated balloons. I do tricep work constantly and lots of cardio and power yoga so it's not like I am not trying. I know I still have a lot to lose but skin removal is so expensive, is this the only option after all of the hard work of loseing weight and gettin healthy???
  • Fattack
    Fattack Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    Well you need to burn fat and tone the muscle, so incorporate cardio with free weights on your triceps and lunges for fat loss and toning.

You can't "spot train" parts of your body and some places lose more quickly than others - I carry my weight on my limbs mostly but it is my stomach and my breasts where the weight has come off most noticeably first and foremost.

So much THIS.
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    I highly recommend the P90X workout program for that problem. Here are a few transformations from P90X users:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/Sgorrie
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/june_warner
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/tenaarnett
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/lewis2583
  • agleckle
    agleckle Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    For my flabby arm wings, I was told to do weights targeting the arms BEFORE doing my cardio, then doing more weights. As someone put it, you're supposed to 'cook your fat'. Weights supposably burn the carbs that you've had, then cardio targets the fat underneath. Anyone correct me if I'm way wrong or anything, but that's what I was told and what I've been doing.

I have read several things that explain this, as well as had my trainer tell me the same thing: basically, your body has to use up the sugar (glycogen) in your liver before it starts to use your fat reserves for energy. It takes about 20 minutes of cardio to use up the glycogen in your liver before your body moves on to other stores. SO, if you do cardio first, you have to go 20 minutes before you hit fat reserves. This is why it is a good idea to weight train first, which will use up the glycogen in your liver, then move on to cardio which will be using your stores right away since the liver glycogen is gone.

Also, you get the most out of your strength training if you do it FIRST, because otherwise you will be tired from cardio and not push as hard or get the same results as when your muscles are fresh.
  • samb
    samb Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    1st of all welcome :)

You can look up exercises to specifically target those areas, like you did...and adding a little weight should help to build lean muscle in those areas to help burn fat overall. BUT you cannot specifically target one area for fat loss - body fat will be lost throughout your body, I believe however your genes make that happen (some people will lose fat faster in certain areas compared to others). So your real goal would be to burn fat throughout your body & build muscle in those specific areas. And don't be afraid of using weight as long as you don't feel you are overdoing it --- you need strength training to build the muscle up, which helps burn fat faster. I used to do 12 reps at my 12 rep max, but it actually helped to do about 6 reps at my 6 rep max instead for quicker results. If you combine strength training with cardio (some people say low impact such as walking, some say high intensity such as interval training....up to you what you feel is best for YOU) you will see results. The reason you haven't seen the results you are looking for is because the fat in those areas is hiding the muscle ;) Also keep in mind you don't want to lose really more than 2 lbs/week because if you lose any more than that your skin may not be able to keep up = sagging skin etc. Also definitely drink as much water as possible!

You may possibly want to look into eating low carb (<100g/day). Everyone is different, but for me personally, I spent most days 3+ hours in the gym and wasn't seeing results (and I tried all different workout routines over time - more strength, more cardio, etc). I went low carb - 100g then 75g then 50g, now below 30 net carbs (carbs g - fiber g =net carbs) usually, and I have seen amazing results and have been losing weight and fat like never before...and now my muscles are actually showing, with barely any exercise (since going low carb I have only been riding my bike and walking really - working on adding strength training back in)! It was/is a miracle for me, and I finally have faith that I am really going to make it to my goals. If you have any questions feel free to message me!
  • millymoozie
    millymoozie Posts: 150
    Options
    I dont know but I know Im concerned too. I have been using firming lotions everyday in hopes that when I am finally to were I need to be my skin wont just lie there and jiggle all the day long. If it does I am wondering if I should be saving up for some skin removals?...
    no no no dont resort to surgeons tools until you have lost all the body fat ,,if its excess skin that has stuck around after the fat has gone then yes surgery , i would love to lose mine too but i have to be honest i could be working it harder & losing more weight & the only way to lose weight is to burn off more cals than you take in ,its simple ,its just hard doing it & keeping up a routine ,dont give up yet ,weight loss leads to a better looking person ,surgery leads to scars x
  • Alison_84
    Alison_84 Posts: 86
    Options
    Squats! Lunges! Hip Abductor and Adductor weight machines! (I LOVE those and find they work soooo well for thighs, my #1 trouble area) ... And of course..... LOTS of good old-fashioned heart pumping cardio :)

For your arm, the under arm is your tricep.... so google tricep exercises, you're sure to find lots! And again.. CARDIO!!
  • Vcaser
    Vcaser Posts: 36
    Options
    Have any of you ever heard or practiced dry skin-brushing techniques? Consistent use of skin brushing helps thicken and tone the skin. I'm sure it won't help skin that has already been stretched too much, but as you embark on your weight loss journey it can keep your skin from getting AS loose. It also helps stimulates your lymph system if done a certain way. Some claims are made that it helps reduce the appearance of cellulite. It also exfoliates, makes your skin glow and feel like satin! You can Google "skin brushing" and see lots of information about it.
  • eichhorst
    eichhorst Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    1st of all welcome :)

You can look up exercises to specifically target those areas, like you did...and adding a little weight should help to build lean muscle in those areas to help burn fat overall. BUT you cannot specifically target one area for fat loss - body fat will be lost throughout your body, I believe however your genes make that happen (some people will lose fat faster in certain areas compared to others). So your real goal would be to burn fat throughout your body & build muscle in those specific areas. And don't be afraid of using weight as long as you don't feel you are overdoing it --- you need strength training to build the muscle up, which helps burn fat faster. I used to do 12 reps at my 12 rep max, but it actually helped to do about 6 reps at my 6 rep max instead for quicker results. If you combine strength training with cardio (some people say low impact such as walking, some say high intensity such as interval training....up to you what you feel is best for YOU) you will see results. The reason you haven't seen the results you are looking for is because the fat in those areas is hiding the muscle ;) Also keep in mind you don't want to lose really more than 2 lbs/week because if you lose any more than that your skin may not be able to keep up = sagging skin etc. Also definitely drink as much water as possible!

You may possibly want to look into eating low carb (<100g/day). Everyone is different, but for me personally, I spent most days 3+ hours in the gym and wasn't seeing results (and I tried all different workout routines over time - more strength, more cardio, etc). I went low carb - 100g then 75g then 50g, now below 30 net carbs (carbs g - fiber g =net carbs) usually, and I have seen amazing results and have been losing weight and fat like never before...and now my muscles are actually showing, with barely any exercise (since going low carb I have only been riding my bike and walking really - working on adding strength training back in)! It was/is a miracle for me, and I finally have faith that I am really going to make it to my goals. If you have any questions feel free to message me!

Thank you, this was very informative & I will definitely take everything you said into consideration and give some of it a try!
  • eichhorst
    eichhorst Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the great responses!