Eating healthy/low carb on a long road trip!

Options
So I'm leaving for Louisiana (driving from WV) in 3 days to visit family and I was wondering if you guys had some low-carb healthy eating ideas for the drive down and back. I think I'll be okay when I'm down there. I might indulge a little since it's vacation, but I really don't want to lose complete control. I was going to pack a lot of snacks in a cooler such a cottege cheese, peanut butter, celery, apples, nuts, beef jerky, string cheese and some other low-carb snacks. Please share any ideas/suggestions!

Replies

• GaveUp
    GaveUp Posts: 308
    Options
    Good Luck you are going to Cajun country. Eat Lots of Crawfish :)
  • fitniknik
    fitniknik Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    I just did a roadtrip. I gained even though I planned! Thats life i think! I had string cheese along, fruit in the cooler, sandwiches for the drive (no fast food!) and we brought with a taco salad for when we got there. I browned the hamburger meat before we left and pt that in the cooler, then packed the cheese and lettus and salsa and whatnot. That worked out pretty well!
    I also brought along fruit leather just in case there was a sweet craving. Oohh... and I brought hard boiled eggs either for breakfast or to mash up in an Egg Salad sandwich. Hope this helps!
  • jonikeffer
    jonikeffer Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Car trips are hard. I usually take tuna salad kits (like those ones StarKist and Bumble Bee have, and don't require a cooler) and the fixings for making sandwiches (in a cooler).
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    Suggest you also throw some carrots, sweet peppers and cucumber cut into bite size pieces in there....
    And for me a road trip needs some hard boiled eggs, and some healty meatballs (turkey) :-)
  • gracienkaidens_momma
    gracienkaidens_momma Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of your great suggestions! What is fruit leather?
  • fitniknik
    fitniknik Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of your great suggestions! What is fruit leather?

Like a fruit roll up but made from actual fruit thats blended into a sauce then dried.