Craving Salt

Options
samvanz
samvanz Posts: 122 Member
Lately I've found myself craving salt... And by that I don't mean salty foods, I mean actual salt. I find that if I suck on a piece of rock salt it gets rid of the craving, but I suspect this isn't very good for me.

Does anyone know of a possible cause for this salt craving? I haven't been working out much, so I don't think it's from sweating.

Replies

• froglegjack
    froglegjack Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I have always heard that if you could taste salt in something then your body needed it. Not much of an answer I know, I will be interested in seeing the replies
  • AZackery
    AZackery Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    Our bodies requires salt and if we don't get enough salt, we will crave it.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    Sodium is made out to be the devil on MFP but your body does need it to survive. I agree with whoever said you may not be getting enough. If you are staying away from sodium laden, prepackaged foods (Lean Cuisine, almost any food that comes in a box with a long ingredient list, etc.) it is not a big deal to salt your food. Your body needs it and it makes food taste better. You only have to be cautious if you already have high blood pressure. Other than that, just try to stay within the MFP sodium goals.
  • jljc_2010
    jljc_2010 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Me too, I have been od'ing on sodium and I can't get enough!!!
  • YukonJoy
    YukonJoy Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options
    When I crave salt I eat cucumber slices with salt sprinkled on them. Mmmmm!

Also if you eat a lot of sodium, don't feel guilty. Like some other people have replied, salt isn't horrible for you, just make sure to drink plenty of water! Voila! Problem solved.

If you are craving it all the time maybe you need some electrolytes? Just guessing.