Calories in my homemade chicken soup/broth - help?

MellowYellowGem
MellowYellowGem Posts: 120 Member
edited September 29 in Food and Nutrition
I made a soup out of my leftover roast chicken & no idea on how to calculate the calories, they all seem to range from 80 right up to 200 on the database. So here's what I did & if anyone has a clue roughly what the calories might be let me know!

*Removed leftover meat from roasted chicken then simmered the carcass in 2 litres of water with 1 stock cube, an onion and carrot for 2 hours. After simmering I drained & collected the stock.

* I then added to the stock a handful of baby corn, half a cup of chopped leak, around 8/10 broad beans & half a carrot & cooked them through. I then let this cool and refridgerated over night.

*This morning I took off the top layer of fat that had risen to the top of the stock whilst in the fridge, then added the cooked chicken I had saved, I'd say around 3/4 of a breast. so it's ready to warm and eat.

So any ideas on calories guys?

Replies

• blink1021
    blink1021 Posts: 1,115 Member
    What I usually do is add up the calories of everything used and then divide for serving size. Soup serving size is usually 1/2cup some may be higher. Watch out for the sodium that is a killer when using stock.
  • momma3sweetgirls
    momma3sweetgirls Posts: 743 Member
    If you've skimmed the fat off, I'd consider it a 'fat free chicken broth'....very low in calories. There's several to choose from in the database. Just estimate the other ingredients.
  • I LUV chicken tenderloin soup or salad 'cause it's rich in protein and low in calories♡
  • MellowYellowGem
    MellowYellowGem Posts: 120 Member
    Thanks guys, I just found the recipe tab where it works it out for you, and it's working out to about 150 calories per serving - which seems about right I think!
  • SCC88
    SCC88 Posts: 215 Member
    Yeah I dont log the stock, the stock is virtually calorie less. Its anything else that you add to it before serving that I would log.
This discussion has been closed.