SUPERSIZE ME SHOCK!

Options
Has anyone else watched this short documentry movie? im about 15 minutes into the programme
and im already shocked and a little angry!

the supersize looks so massive compared to the 'small' the americans have, and i feel so sorry for the man thats doing this because
it looks so disgusting and hard.

Of course its both the buyers fault and the companys fault for the obesity crisis! buyers because you simply dont have to buy it!
and the companys fault for making sizes other then small.

I really hope those sizes do not come over to the Unites Kingdom because i cannot watch the UK get fat.
This programme makes me feel like i want to help them and just sue the hell out of mcdonalds!

I THINK EVERYONE SHOULD WATCH THIS :)

http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/super-size-me/

AFTER EACH 10 MINUTE SECTION IT WILL AUTOMATICALLY START PLAYING THE NEXT SEXTION
give time to load :)

xx

Replies

• JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    i think it's an unrealistic representation. Who with any brain would eat mcdonalds that much? I dont know any obese person that does that.
  • kaylemartin
    kaylemartin Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    The UK is already fat.
  • wriglucy
    wriglucy Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    I watched that movie...it was pretty disgusting. I blame it entirely on the consumers though. If people didn't buy it, there wouldn't be demand for it, McDonalds's (and other places) would change their food choices. No one is forcing this food down people's throats. It would be like blaming ice cream makers for fat people too.

I agree though...that movie is gross, and makes you think. People need to be more aware, and make better choices.
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    i think it's an unrealistic representation. Who with any brain would eat mcdonalds that much? I dont know any obese person that does that.

Sure, but it's still an interesting concept. I gained 100 lbs. eating a vegetarian diet and almost NEVER eating fast food. But I still enjoyed the movie. He brings a lot of shocking information to light. Gets one thinking, at the very least!
  • Laura_beau
    Laura_beau Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    I have seen the film, and yes- it is awful.

The major fast food chains in the UK did sell 'supersize' for a while (I seem to remeber it was when I was a student back in the early 00's) but then they were taken off the menu, obv for health reasons- or they weren't selling.

Having been to the States, I was surprised to see that their 'small' is the same as our Large size.
  • helenoftroy1
    helenoftroy1 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • Helice
    Helice Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    we had to watch it at school.
    and honestly i kept thinking damn i want some macdonalds.
  • WishfulShrinking331
    WishfulShrinking331 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I love that documentary, I watched it when I was back in 7th grade and I always see it on tv. It's crazy how different his mood gets after he eats it.

Also if you think that's interesting watch this about the McDonalds fries:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4IGtDPG4UfI
  • lausa22
    lausa22 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I remember a short documentary where when the supersize was out in the UK, a man had to eat McDonalds for 30 days (breakfast, lunch and dinner), and if they asked 'do you want it supersized?' he wasn't allowed to say no.
    He did it for like, 2 weeks before he refused to do it anymore, because his health deterioated so fast!
  • mom23nuts
    mom23nuts Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    watch Fat Head next and you will see that it all depends on how and what you choose to eat when you do fast food...you don't have to gain weight doing McDonalds fare and no one holds a gun to your head and forces you to go into the place and buy the fries let alone the Super Sized fries.

I think if's all about moderation and choice....people still have that basic ability right? choosing not to eat the wrong things and choosing not to super size.

Let's not blame it all on fast food....as a family I am the only one in it struggling with my weight and it has nothing to do with McDonalds. Realistically, I will take my kids there maybe twice a month and I will choose something healthier off the menu and they get something they want.
  • emmaNEEDSskinny
    Options
    i will watch the fries one later! :)

and ive never heard of a UK one but he made a wise choice!

and great that we used to have super size but it got taken off! :)
    hope it never comes back!

FIGHT THE FAT! AHA :)
  • jerseynegrita06
    jerseynegrita06 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    we had to watch it at school.
    and honestly i kept thinking damn i want some macdonalds.

Oh my gosh...I'm thinking right now that I want fries =(
  • cheeksv
    cheeksv Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    I went back and forth between wanting Macdonald and being shocked by all the facts brought to light. It makes m e think twice about ordering fast food to this day.
  • mizzsolero
    mizzsolero Posts: 47
    Options
    Has anyone else watched this short documentry movie? im about 15 minutes into the programme
    and im already shocked and a little angry!

the supersize looks so massive compared to the 'small' the americans have, and i feel so sorry for the man thats doing this because
    it looks so disgusting and hard.

Of course its both the buyers fault and the companys fault for the obesity crisis! buyers because you simply dont have to buy it!
    and the companys fault for making sizes other then small.

I really hope those sizes do not come over to the Unites Kingdom because i cannot watch the UK get fat.
    This programme makes me feel like i want to help them and just sue the hell out of mcdonalds!

I THINK EVERYONE SHOULD WATCH THIS :)

http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/super-size-me/

AFTER EACH 10 MINUTE SECTION IT WILL AUTOMATICALLY START PLAYING THE NEXT SEXTION
    give time to load :)

xx

im fae scotland, a kno am overweight, but am still one of the slimmer people when i walk through the street!
    It already hit the UK hunni, its up to people to make healthy choices for themselfs. think they should do the same as with alcohol, bar sells them but arent alouwed to promote drinkin of alcy (so they cannae say you want another hen), so with food, when you order at lets say macD they shouldnt ask you d oyou want to make it a large for 15p extra! they should ask yo what size do you want. they should also provide calories next to the menus, i usually dun kno what a eat until i get home and check the net. xx
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options

There are some people who do eat it that much, and for a much longer duration. Sure, they may mix it up by going to another fast-food restaurant, but is that really any better? Think of the KFC sandwich that didn't have any bread, but was 2 fried chicken breasts with bacon and cheese stuffed between. Unfortunately for many people, these restaurants are cheaper and more available than grocery stores and fresh produce.
  • Adynata
    Adynata Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Ahahaha you must be insanely disillusioned to think the UK isn't already fat. Approximately 1 in 4 adults here are obese. If you don't believe me, check out the section on the NHS website on the matter.
  • emmaNEEDSskinny
    Options
    YO GUYS I ALREADY KNOW THE UK IS FAT OK?
    chill.
  • graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options

You know what though? There are a few people on here whose diary's showed exactly that. They would be under their calories, but every gosh darn meal was from a FF place.
  • mizzsolero
    mizzsolero Posts: 47
    Options
    YO GUYS I ALREADY KNOW THE UK IS FAT OK?
    chill.

walk through the streets of glasgow and feel skinny! love it hawhawhawh
  • MsElphaba
    MsElphaba Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I watched that movie...it was pretty disgusting. I blame it entirely on the consumers though. If people didn't buy it, there wouldn't be demand for it, McDonalds's (and other places) would change their food choices. No one is forcing this food down people's throats. It would be like blaming ice cream makers for fat people too.

I agree though...that movie is gross, and makes you think. People need to be more aware, and make better choices.
    McD's has worked healthier options in their menu. They have the chicken sandwichs on whole grain buns, and I love their fruit and oatmeal (with no brown sugar) on those mornings when we are out the door quickly. Bottom line is they sell it because people by it. I get mad when people say "McDonald's made me fat." Hello! YOU made the choice to eat it. The move to remove Happy Meals because supposedly they are to blame for childhood obesity is ridiculous. Why punish my very fit and healthy 10 year old who gets an occasional Happy Meal as a treat because someone else decided they were good for their child to eat every day and now that child is obese?

Bottom line is we need to be responsible for ourselves and our own choices.

Okay, I will get off my soapbox now.

L