Whey protein and sluggishness???

Options
Has anyone else experienced sluggishness or fatigue after increasing their protein through whey shakes?

Here's why I ask: So after being on mfp for a few weeks I decided to change my nutrition goals and Monday I started having a scoop of EAS Whey Protein with a dairy product (milk or yogurt) after my evening work out. I am usually able to wake up in the mornings by 6 to at least do 30-40 minutes of yoga, but these last two days I haven't been able to get out of bed in time. My diary is open, feel free to look. I haven't quite mastered 1200 net calories and haven't built my stamina up to burn more than 300 calories by exercise each day but I'm working on it! :)

Advice is greatly appreciated!

Replies

• shelld70
    shelld70 Posts: 106
    Options
    Thanks for bringing this up. When I started drinking protein shakes and was having 2 a day. The first after my workout and the 2nd in the late afternoon. After the 1st, I was fine, but after the 2nd, I was so tired and overfull. I would have to lay down. So I cut out the 2nd. Now I just have 1 after my workout. On rest days, I don't have one. Also, I think when we have more of these shakes we tend to eat less real food. Maybe that would help??? Good luck to you! :happy:
  • FabulousFifty
    FabulousFifty Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    I have been eating Chobani greek yogurt, which has 16 grams of protein per 8 oz. I have it twice a day, along with other protein sources. I just choose to eat my protein instead of drink shakes. Try the vanilla flavored Chobani...mmmm!:happy:
  • Davesween
    Davesween Posts: 1
    Options
    if all you are having after a workout is a protein shake , then you are probably not getting enough carbs to feed you body the energy it needs to recover properly , try mixing your shake in a blender with a banana and you should see an improvement
  • 13hirteen
    13hirteen Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Might be worth switching to hemp protein as an alternative. I'm getting along very well with it.
  • CaptainAmerica1970
    Options
    You are not EATing the right types of caloric foods. yes, you are eating calories, 1400 worth, however, I am not a trainer, but I do not think candies, like gummies and rollo's are helping your energy supply. they are depleting it by empty sugars. Try 1-2 slices of whole wheat bread instead, w/ 1 table spoon of peanutbutter. It sounds as if you need to control your blood sugar. I am on 1440 calories a day w/replacement exercise calories. are you eating your replacement calories back too?
  • BeeElleTea
    BeeElleTea Posts: 24
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions. I will look into the better alternatives!

@divens14 yes I do have issues with my blood sugar and candy is absolutely my weakness and quick fix. I wil try the whole wheat bread and peanut butter solution. I guess that I am technically eating my replacement calories since I'm almost always over.
  • PAnn1
    PAnn1 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    I have to agree with divens14. I eat candy once in awhile and afterwords I feel like crap. The sugars don't agree with me and I feel cranky and tired. Maybe that's part of what you have going on. I haven't looked at your diary, but am wondering if, being a candy eater normally you've cut back since joining MFP and now it's working against you. Many people feel that sugar gives you energy. I have never found that to be true with my system. Becoming carb deficient can also have this effect, especially when you are working out. I try to eat a fruit after my workouts.