Jazzercise Calorie Burn??

Options
Hello....I'm fairly new to this site. Are there any fellow Jazzercise regulars out there?? I've been going 5 days per week for almost a year. I'm trying to figure out how many calories I burn in a 1-hour session. According to the Exercise database on this site, it indicates roughly 250, however, judging by the intensity I feel like it is more. Any thoughts??? BTW, it's under 'Slimtastics Jazzercise' in the database.
Thanks!!!
-ASurl=http://www.myfitnesspal.com/weight-loss-ticker]98575.png[/url]
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Food Diary

Replies

• kendallalissa
    Options
    Hello....I'm fairly new to this site. Are there any fellow Jazzercise regulars out there?? I've been going 5 days per week for almost a year. I'm trying to figure out how many calories I burn in a 1-hour session. According to the Exercise database on this site, it indicates roughly 250, however, judging by the intensity I feel like it is more. Any thoughts??? BTW, it's under 'Slimtastics Jazzercise' in the database.
    Thanks!!!
  • ErinRNinMaine
    ErinRNinMaine Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    You really need a heartrate monitor to know for sure. It's different for everyone.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    I agree with Erin. When I went, I felt like the intensity was too low for me compared to my usual training, and I think it only burnt about 200 cals. But someone at a different height, weight, gender, and training level would burn something totally different.
  • 1harleygal
    1harleygal Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    :wink: I would go with the 250 listed so that you have an average that you can use every time you go. That way you stay consistant in your readings! If you burn more than the sight indicates thats great it just means quicker weight loss!
  • frithir
    frithir Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    If this helps any, according to the exercise log thing I use from www.calorielab.com, a 150 lb. person burns 450 calories an hour doing dance aerobics.
  • loreeb18
    loreeb18 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    funny-pictures-jazz-hamsters.jpg
  • kendallalissa
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice! :flowerforyou:
  • studentRN
    studentRN Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    I do it. I've used a HRM before and I burn about 600 cals each session. YMMV.
  • cheryl123happy
    cheryl123happy Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I do Jazzercise and love it. I was told a minium of 400 calories. I used to do 3 days a week now it's more like 6 days a week. I love it. I do regular Jazzercise. The weight training at the end and stretching is awesome. I don't know what I would do without it !
  • teachermomva
    Options
    Using a polar monitor, I have burned 600+ calories at jazz! I do high and low impact! Jazz has really changed over the years and I feel it really burns a lot more than you realize! Wearing a monitor a few times will give you a good idea of what you are burning! It is such a great workout! I started running so the cardio, weights and stretch/flex help compliment that! :flowerforyou:
  • allifetscher
    allifetscher Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I did Jazzercise for two years, then I broke a bone in both feet and had to stop. Before I left I wore a heart rate monitor every class. I was the girl in the front row doing high impact the whole time, and helping lead when people got lost. I am 5'3", 175 lbs, and burned on average 570 cal per class. A polar hr monitor is a great investment!
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Thanks!!!

I suggest a heart rate monitor. I must bought one today.
  • bacardistreats
    Options
    My jazzercise facility advertises that you burn 600 and that's a load of bull. Depending upon the instructor, the lowest I've ever burned is 250 and the highest is 280. Calories are an individual thing so assuming that it would be difficult to guess what each person does because of their weight, metabolism, etc., I don't know how anybody can say that a person will burn X amount.
  • mercijourney
    mercijourney Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I just bought a Groupon for Jazzercise and I can't wait to get started! I don't know how to use a heart monitor though - how do you know what your heart rate should be?
  • pscarolina
    pscarolina Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I just bought a Groupon for Jazzercise and I can't wait to get started! I don't know how to use a heart monitor though - how do you know what your heart rate should be?

I've been an instructor for almost 13 years. Your Jazzercise instructor can probably help you with both those things. Your optimal (not maximum) heart rate will depend on your age & other factors. Every Jazzercise instructor receives training on this. We must pass both written & practical (audition) before certifying. We have a program through Polar, which sells heart rate monitors so your instructor may sell them. There are loads of other good options out there these days if you don't like the Polar though.

I'm very surprised to hear anyone burning such a low amount of calories. You get out what you put in, just like every other workout. Don't be afraid of heavier weights to challenge yourself. Low impact does not have to mean low intensity. Listen & watch your instructor for options if you are unable to do the high impact/high intensity moves. He/She will cue you to advise what modifications you should make. We also face the class so we can see exactly what you're doing. Eye contact is important to us so you feel successful!

Good luck & have FUN! Exercise does not have to be a chore. It can be the best part of your day!