BMI Questions and Frustrations

Options
My BMI is 27.4, which is in the "overweight" range for myself. (6' 2" 214 lbs.) Does any one else feel like sometimes, BMI isn't a good way of measuring how "in shape" you are since it only takes into account your height and weight? According to the standard scale, I am supposed to weigh around 194 lbs to be considered healthy.I feel like for me, that would be incredibly small. Right now I hover around 213-214 lbs, but I feel amazing and love to play sports and work out. Just yesterday I ran 7.25 miles (1hr 22min), and tonight I will probably be playing ultimate frisbee for two+ hours. I know I don't always follow the best eating schedule, but it's definitely not horrible. (Tons better now tho, since I'm conscious of what I'm eating)

I just wondered if anyone felt the same way about this.

Replies

• thetrishwarp
    thetrishwarp Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way. I'm at 159 right now, and need to be at 150 to be healthy. Maybe I do need to lose these lst 10 lbs but it's hard! And I'm not sure if they will come off with the toning I need to do or what.
  • JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    VERY much so!
  • dfborders
    dfborders Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Absolutely - I am considered obese on the BMI and no one agrees with that (and they are not just being nice). However, I do know I need to lose weight just for my overall health as I get older. I go by the scale, how I feel and how my clothes fit. I probably will check in with the BMI from time to time but it will not be my overall gauge. Even my doctor said that what the BMI wants me at is not really a realistic goal for my body type.
  • aymetcalf
    aymetcalf Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    BMI is a terrible measure because it does not consider muscle mass - in fact, all body builders have a BMI that is 'obese'. A better measure is body fat %.
  • SNorris01
    SNorris01 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    BMI isn't a good indicator of actual fat. I will always be in the overweight or obese category with my height and build. There are true and better tests out there. The new one that is starting to be used is the hip/waist ratio. That one seems to work better for us who are larger builds that others. Myself I am 6' 0" I am 237 currently, but my body fat is 15%. According to the trainers and the pinch testing.

Try this: http://www.bmi-calculator.net/waist-to-hip-ratio-calculator/

And see what you get. I am 34 waist and 36 hips which is .094 which according to this is

Male Female Health Risk Based Solely on WHR
    0.95 or below 0.80 or below Low Risk
    0.96 to 1.0 0.81 to 0.85 Moderate Risk
    1.0+ 0.85+ High Risk

So see it doesn't always work for everyone.
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    i'd say most agree it's not a good indicator because it doesn't take in to the equation what your lean body mass is versus body fatness. But for the average who doesn't work out like a majority of the MFP community it's an easy way for them to check their current status.
  • JennieD2
    JennieD2 Posts: 66
    Options
    Pretty much any competitive athlete would be considered obese according to the bmi scale! It should only be used as a guideline not as an absolute particularly for anyone with well developed muscles :)
  • 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I think in your case, it's a terrible indicator of health. You're probably muscular, which adds weight without adding inches. BMI scale only takes into account your height and weight, not body composition. If you haven't figured out your body fat, I'd be that's probably in the healthy range, if not the fitness range (I've found this online calculator to be somewhat accurate http://fitness.bizcalcs.com/Calculator.asp?Calc=Body-Fat-Navy)

I'm personally 7 lbs overweight for my height (should be 141 for 5'3") but I regularly strength train and I wear size 6 jeans! I don't consider that overweight at all! But the BMI scale is a pain in the butt and I have my body fat measured every month at my gym. So I pay attention to that number more, but a little voice inside my head is still driving me to reach 140. Just so my bikini looks better, hahha
  • sophjakesmom
    sophjakesmom Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    I think it is a helpful indicator. I wouldn't completely ignore it, but if you feel strong and healthy, you may be exactly where you need to be. I think body fat % is probably a better indicator. Everyone is a bit different.
  • BeeElMarvin
    BeeElMarvin Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    My BMI is 27.4, which is in the "overweight" range for myself. (6' 2" 214 lbs.) Does any one else feel like sometimes, BMI isn't a good way of measuring how "in shape" you are since it only takes into account your height and weight? According to the standard scale, I am supposed to weigh around 194 lbs to be considered healthy.I feel like for me, that would be incredibly small. Right now I hover around 213-214 lbs, but I feel amazing and love to play sports and work out. Just yesterday I ran 7.25 miles (1hr 22min), and tonight I will probably be playing ultimate frisbee for two+ hours. I know I don't always follow the best eating schedule, but it's definitely not horrible. (Tons better now tho, since I'm conscious of what I'm eating)

I just wondered if anyone felt the same way about this.

Take it with a grain of salt. Have your Dr. check your body fat for a truer picture.