Lost 9 pds in one week - now gaining?

Options
Last week I had a very successful week, I managed to lose around 9 pounds on just dieting and no exercise. Tuesday, I started a Jillian Michaels workout video that combines aerobics-kickboxing and I can only manage 15 mins since I'm so out of shape and the video is insane! Anyways, I weighed myself today and I've gained almost 2 pounds and I'm keeping the same diet just adding exercise - why am I gaining weight? Can someone please explain? I'm a week away from my TOM so I'll probably bloat up and gain more weight - I'm feeling discouraged now :[

Replies

• ShyBreasts
    ShyBreasts Posts: 91
    Options
    I am not too sure, but it could be because muscle weighs more than fat, so you might be gaining muscle weight, do you measure your body? X
  • dcladydi
    dcladydi Posts: 95
    Options
    Are you eating back your exercise calories? Drinking enough water? Need more water when you exercise.
  • Msaip
    Msaip Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Last week I had a very successful week, I managed to lose around 9 pounds on just dieting and no exercise. Tuesday, I started a Jillian Michaels workout video that combines aerobics-kickboxing and I can only manage 15 mins since I'm so out of shape and the video is insane! Anyways, I weighed myself today and I've gained almost 2 pounds and I'm keeping the same diet just adding exercise - why am I gaining weight? Can someone please explain? I'm a week away from my TOM so I'll probably bloat up and gain more weight - I'm feeling discouraged now :[

what video do you do??
  • Revolutionwithin
    Revolutionwithin Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    The week before, and during my TOM are write offs. It is really hard for me to not get upset. 1. Because I gain "weight" from holding water. 2. Because I'm starving around that time, and 3. Because I feel like I'm wasting two weeks of valuable weight loss time because of one stupid event that I don't even want to have happen anymore. : / So basically, I understand how you are feeling, and all I can say is stay the course. View it as a test of your character and you'll results again.
  • MellowYellowGem
    MellowYellowGem Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I find when I do my 30DS I go up in weight a bit, then if I have a break for a day or 2 it goes back down, mostly with a loss. It could be to do with muscles being tenser when exercising? However, even when my weight is up a bit I'm still noticing difference in clothing and inches. Plus I know I'm getting fitter, the scales aren't a great indication really.

Also, 9lbs is a hell of a lot for 1 week, if you lose it too fast, you may find it will come back on just as quick aswell. x
  • dont_u_mean_carrots
    Options
    I stand on a scale once a month. Keep doing what you do, but give the scale a rest it will not motivate you.
  • rosalee87
    rosalee87 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I actually don't measure my body - I know I should so I keep track of that; I should probably do that tonight and continue tracking it.
  • cathyAprice
    Options
    Exercising, especially strength training/toning, can make you retain fluid--you'll lose inches but at times you may gain lbs. Be sure you're measuring too...if you're gaining inches AND lbs, you may not be eating enough and your body goes into starvation mode. Hope this helps!

www.cathyprice.net
  • bms34b
    bms34b Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I lost a lot (if not all) of the weight so far without using exercise, and whenever I do make it to the gym, I notice that my body swells up a little for the next few days. My best advice would be to listen to your body - don't overdo the workouts as you're just getting started, drink way more water than seems okay, and if you feel like you need nourishment, eat. Get plenty of sleep and you'll see it come off...a day to day change is just water weight, and you'll have to consider that the 9 pounds that came off so fast might be the easiest ones by far.

Good luck!
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    If its a new fitness routine for you your muscles are most likely holding onto extra water to aid in their recovery! Keep at it, you'll see the changes you want.
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    Those 9 lbs you lost was probably in the neighborhood of 95% water weight from your body adjusting to the diet. Now you added some exercise, and your muscles will retain more water/glycogen for repairs, etc.. And you also mentioned your TOM coming up soon, so again, your body is probably already starting to retain some water, hence the weight gain.

You WILL NOT gain muscle on a calorie reduced diet. It's possible but it requires some extreme discipline and planning/timing your diet with workouts, etc. Best you can hope for is maintaining whatever lean mass you have when you strength train on a calorie deficit.
  • rosalee87
    Options
    Are you eating back your exercise calories? Drinking enough water? Need more water when you exercise.

I actually drink a lot of water throughout the day and after my workout; I don't eat my exercise calories back since I stick to the calories I should be eating and don't eat after my workout.
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options
    You could have been ready for a "drop," but 9# in a week will be a lot of water weight. That is not uncommon when people clean up their diets. The scale will bounce around a lot, but what you should be concerned about is an overall downward trend and your measurements.

Second, it is NOT muscle. The exercise that you are doing isn't even conducive to building muscle: you have to lift weights, lots of them to build muscle.

Third, look @ what you are eating. Sodium is known to cause water retention and sugar can actually have the same effect.

Good luck.
  • rosalee87
    Options

what video do you do??

It's Jillian Michaels:Banish Fat - Boost Metabolism
  • rosalee87
    Options
    I basically started this really slowly; February I gave up carb drinks only drinking tea or lemonade and lots of water - then finally after getting use to that this the month of June I started drinking all water and the occasional tea maybe once or twice a week. My diet consists of no sweets and if I'm gunna snack on jello I assure everything is sugar free, I eat a lot of veggies, tilapia, chicken breast, and assure everything is whole grain, wheat etc. and assure everything is low sodium - after I added more fiber to my diet I did notice my digestive system started working a little better. But, as of Tuesday I finally started my workout.