Hernia Surgery, staying healthy during recovery.

Options
Hello,
I have never had surgery and I am supposed to have a hernia surgery soon. I have a two month old baby so I recently got in to the groove of working out again. I know its too soon to assume I will gain weight while recovering, but I do not want to leave any stone unturned.
Has anyone lost weight while recovering from a surgery? and I do not want it to be unhealthy cause I BF my baby.
Has anyone had a hernia surgery? how long did it take u to get back to exercising?
I am really nervous about this.
Thank you for any advice.

Replies

• dittiepe
    dittiepe Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    You are going to gain weight during recovery. Let's get that out of the way right now :) You'll have some surgical swelling that can take upwards of 2 months to lose. But remember that it's only from the surgery. Be sure to follow what your doctor says because hernias can recur if you don't. Just continue to eat healthy, and remind yourself that healing takes time. I used to always tell my patients to increase their protein during the recovery time, as protein aids healing.

Hope that helps, and best of luck for a speedy recovery :)
  • caterpillardreams
    caterpillardreams Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Thank u so much for the information. I will def heed the doc's instructions. There is just no getting past this, will just have to be strong and eat as healthy as possible.
    No worries. I hope.
    :indifferent:
  • dittiepe
    dittiepe Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    You will do great :) Hernia surgery is pretty simple these days, but it usually takes about a month, at least, for you to be able to get back into semi-normal exercise. You can, and should, do walking. But only on flat surfaces for small amounts of time at first.
  • caterpillardreams
    caterpillardreams Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Ok, I think thats what I was concerned about, I know I will not be able to run cause its strenuos, but if I can walk that will be good. I don't want the surgery but it hurts so bad at times.
    Thanks again for your advice, it makes me feel better knowing a little bit more.:smile: