I need help

Options
I am honestly stumped. I have a very good friend I care about a lot who is very large. He has apparently been told some information by his doctors that blows my mind. He says that he was told that eating healthy isn't important, that all healthy food is is empty calories, and that diet's are something you do when you hit the weight you want to be the rest of your life. He was also told that apparently the french have it right by spacing out meals and eating slowly that helps.

To give you an idea of a recent day I spent hanging out with him, he ate 1 polish sausage from Weinerschintzel, and 10 corn-dogs, along with a thing of their bacon ranch chili cheese fries. He felt spreading it out over 8 hours made it OK, but he then went home and ate the left overs from the day before, a 10oz container of orange chicken from panda express and an equivalent sized thing of fried rice. The only thing he does right is he drinks only diet soda.

I really need to know should I leave this go? Is there someway I should say that his doctor should have his license stripped for this? I just don't want the guy to die or get any bigger than he has to, right now he's about 350. He does also take medicine for high blood pressure but has been lead to believe because it is genetic in his family that his weight isn't going to affect that either. He does understand the need to change, has even said he doesn't want to die and we need to change. I just don't know how to communicate this with him. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Replies

• MrsRobertson1005
    MrsRobertson1005 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    If ya'll are really close I would flat up tell him his Dr. is wrong. Find articles online stating what you know is true, that healthy foods are not empty calories, and the eating more smaller meals is better than a few big meals, ask him if you can show him some stuff that you think he should know. And sit down and show him what he is doing. Ask him if he would want to go to a nutritionist that can show him what he is doing to his body, find one before you go so that you can suggest he go to that one. Even go together so you can both experience it. I wish you all the luck and I hope your friend realizes his doctor's mistakes.
  • snobuni08
    snobuni08 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Wow that is a tough situation that you are in. I would defiantly say something. The question is how. You can't force him or make him feel like you are against him. You need to make sure that you are doing this because you care about him so much and don’t' want to lose him. Make sure he knows he has your support and that you will help in any way. Maybe suggest a second opinion and offer to go with him if he wants and just sit in the waiting room to show your support. Did he play any sports or do anything active when he was younger? Possibly try to tap in to how he felt physically and mentally then when he was in better shape. There is also always the scare tactic, like all the horrible life threatening medical concerns that increase when you are heavy. I wish you the best of luck.
  • aclark6818
    aclark6818 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    You could try to see if he has gotten a 2nd opinion, since that doctor's advise is so radically different from the mainstream. I would also be interested in what the doctor said--sometimes people hear what they want to hear, but that is not what the doctor intended for them to get out of it. Good Luck.
    Just remember, to make a lifestyle change, a person has to want to do it--others can talk until they are blue in the face, but that person has to want to make the changes.
    You are a good friend to take this on. I wish you the best.
    :flowerforyou: