Losing Weight vs. Losing Friends

Options
I know that this is going to sound completely crazy but, I'm a bit "unexcited" to lose the weight that I have set out to lose because I'm afraid that once I do I will lose some of my friends on MFP and their cheers and support. I question that once I lose will my MFP family still cheer me on and what's more to cheer me on for if I've reached my goal. Don't get me wrong I want to lose and have and will continue to stay on track to lose but it would be a sad day to stop receiving the words of encouragement and advise from my MFP family once they've seen that I've hit goal...

Has anyone had this thought? If you've lost a substantial amount of weight have you seen the difference in support/posts you receive from friends? I need some words of reassurance...b/c so many on this site (specifically my friends) have taken a special place in my weight loss efforts.

Replies

• aflane
    aflane Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Why would you lose your MFP friends when you finish losing your weight? You don't have to leave the site... after all you have to maintain the weight loss. You'll log in daily that way.
  • fitnessjch
    fitnessjch Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    I am a long way yet from my target, but I know I will need to stay on here for a good while after I have reached my goal, as I dont want to put on more weight again.

Failing that, if you do not log in, I am sure that you could get peoples email addresses and keep in contact that way?
  • Gigi_licious
    Gigi_licious Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options
    You won't lose your MFP friends....plus, once you lose all the weight you'll be an inspiration and a cheerleader for those just starting out. :-)
  • gbbhey
    gbbhey Posts: 188
    Options
    if they're not happy for you for reaching your goals, then they weren't true friends in the first place!
  • FabOma08
    FabOma08 Posts: 500
    Options
    When you reach your goal your friends will be here to help you maintain and you'll be the one helping those just starting out to achieve the accomplishments you have!! Never fear....your friends are here!
  • SweetP88
    SweetP88 Posts: 79
    Options
    I reached maintenance 3 months ago and I still get great support!! This is the longest I have ever maintained my goal weight and I don't see that going to change!!
  • mizzsolero
    mizzsolero Posts: 47
    Options
    if they're not happy for you for reaching your goals, then they weren't true friends in the first place!

agreed!
  • CorinthiaB
    CorinthiaB Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    I don't see why you would loss their support. In my opinion, once you reach goal the battle has just begun. It will take more strength and effort to eat right and to exercise. Because many of us only plan to reach goal. We don't plan for after we have reached our goal. I know I will continue to support my MFP friends for as long as I am able to connect with them via this site. This is a life long journey.
  • SarahofTwins
    SarahofTwins Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    I've lost most of my weight and I know some original and new mfp friends have cheered me on throughout and still do. I don't expect them to do it all the time bc it can become tiresome, however I always appreciate each and every single one of them! :bigsmile:
  • faithfitnessandnutrition
    Options
    Why would you lose your MFP friends when you finish losing your weight? You don't have to leave the site... after all you have to maintain the weight loss. You'll log in daily that way.

Agree!!!, plus you can also pay it forward by becoming that voice of support for others who are going to be in the very position you are in right now and be their motivation and encouragement through their process. Remember, this is all about a lifestyle change, it doesn't just stop when you "lose the weight" don't let the thought of potentially losing "friends" stop you from making positive changes that will remain with you for a lifetime. Good luck in your endeavors.
  • missys99
    missys99 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    well if any of your MFP "friends" leave you for reaching your goal, well then, were they really there for you? Your struggles with food and weight won't end when you reach your goal! keeping your head in the game will still need to be a daily mind set! and your true cheerleaders know that and will be there to help you through! don't let any fears keep you from succeeding once you get to your goal you will be able to share your success with pride and become others great cheerleader as well!
  • dmoses
    dmoses Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I started maintaining my loss almost a year ago, and I have gained more friends over this past year than I had before! I don't foresee me leaving this website any time in the near future!
  • SueV3
    SueV3 Posts: 4
    Options
    Don't be controlled by fear!!! Move ahead with faith in your friends...and faith that you are doing what you need to be healthy. Go get em!!
  • DanOhh
    DanOhh Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    I've reached my goal. I've got just as many friends here as ever. They still cheer me on when I post things. BUT, what I really like is cheering the others on to help then reach their goals. Just because you've reached the end doesn't mean the race is over.
  • IMYarnCraz33
    IMYarnCraz33 Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    I have to agree--you'll still need to maintain and you'll have the support here for that.
    And you'll be an inspiration to others as well. :smile:
  • ChitownFoodie
    ChitownFoodie Posts: 1,562 Member
    Options
    I hit my goal and I still get encouragement and support. Don't worry about!
  • SassyMissDasha
    Options
    I feel like I don't get as much support and encouragement as I used to. So I guess I am the only exception.
  • lizzybethclaire
    lizzybethclaire Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    You won't lose us. We still need you to cheer US on! :wink:
  • Mrsjenningsjr
    Mrsjenningsjr Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Thank you All for your words of ease and encouragement...means so much and has helped!
  • LJCannon
    LJCannon Posts: 3,636 Member
    Options
    :heart: I think I have made more Friends since reaching my Goal Weight than I had before. I will continue to Log In every day, for as long as I have access to the internet!!
    :smile: As others have said, the Journey is far from Over when you reach your "Goal Weight"