Vegetarian/Vegan Foods

Options
lhanks89
lhanks89 Posts: 90 Member
So I've been a vegetarian for about 5 years now, an I mostly used tofu and Morning Star products for my meat/protein substitute. But then yesterday at Trader Joes I discovered Tofurky Italian Sausage with Sun Dried Tomatoes and Basil and OHMIGOSH! They're AWESOME! Just one link (which is pretty big) is only 270 calories! Although there is 13 grams of fat... there's 29 grams of protein! And 8 grams of fiber!! It's crazy!

Now I'm on a mission to try anything veggie that I can get my hands on!

So what are your favorite vegetarian/vegan foods? Tried anything that you found that ended up surprising you?

What things have you tried that disappointed you?
(Like I tried Yves Meatless Salami and just did not like it at all)

Thanks!

Replies

• aviduser
    aviduser Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Those italian sausages are great with pasta and veggies.

Also tofurky cold-cuts are great on sandwiches.
  • santosateos
    Options
    Hi!
    i'm vegetarian too (for about the same time as you) and ive tried tofurky (ham), soyrizo, soysation cheese, "better than cream cheese" cream cheese the "chicken" nuggets from traedr joes, the taco "meat", the chicken and beef strips, and those sausages you talked about. I dont do too much tofu except i use it to make "cream cheese"
  • ohiogirl30
    ohiogirl30 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I LOVE, I mean LOVE the morningstar farms sausages!!! The maple in them is AWESOME!
  • byHISstrength
    byHISstrength Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    I am not a vegetarian, but would love to try those sausages.

Guess I need to add a visit to Trader Joe's on my "To do" list.

Thanks!
  • MrsGriffin67
    MrsGriffin67 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    Soyrizo is divine! Frieda's - Vegetarian Soyrizo Meatless Chorizo. I buy in the produce section of Walmart. Its so tasty. 80 calories per 2 oz serving, 4g fat, 3g fiber. I wrap it in an Ole' Xtreme Wellness Tortilla (71 cal, 2g fat, 12g fiber) with egg whites, spinach and salsa. Makes a great meal anytime of day.
  • katied9730
    Options
    I love Quorn Turk'y Burgers
  • lausa22
    lausa22 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I loveee Linda McCartney sausages! They're so nice, 100 cal per sausage.
    Quorn is a good brand, quorn chicken nuggets are so yummy! And chicken strips (although they're pretty high is sodium)
    I tried quorn sweet and sour chicken, it was horrible. I just don't like sweet and sour sauce.
  • lhanks89
    lhanks89 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I LOVE, I mean LOVE the morningstar farms sausages!!! The maple in them is AWESOME!

I LOVE that they sell them in a big box at Costco! :D
  • jgranger221
    Options
    I'm personally not a big fan of the Tofurky sausages. My favorite "fake meats" are the Quorn products. Naked Chicken Cutlets are delicious and only 80 calories, plus 11 grams of protein. We also love the Boca Breakfast Links. None of our local grocery stores sell them any more, so when we travel to where my mom lives, we always stock up on as many boxes as possible! Be careful, though, because like all processed foods, the meat substitutes tend to be high in sodium.
  • cameralinds
    cameralinds Posts: 239
    Options
    I was Vegetarian for around four years, and started working meat back into my diet in January of this year. I can only handle the "white" meats though. My body for some reason has lost the ability (enzyme) to even TRY to digest red meat (obviously, that happens), but I never enjoyed red meat pre-veg...anyway, I digress.

I discovered the joys of hummus just last year. I'd eat it with anything. Carrots, pretzels, spinach leaves. Anyway, that's not what you're talking about...

As for meat substitute products,

I was slightly impressed with Smart Stuffers Chicken Cordon. It's not like the Morning Star grilled chicken pieces that are hard as brick. There's 21g protein per 2 stuffers too. I'm also in love with sushi...I didn't know that most of it was made with imitation crab meat. Even though I am no longer Vegetarian, I still eat the stuff by the plate when I can find it. (I live in a very MEAT MEAT MEAT focused environment, so I'm lucky to get it once a month). What else, let me think...

The brand is VEAT, and it's a Chicken Breast. It tastes like meat, cooks like it too, but does not taste quite like chicken. It's delicious if you season it up.

:)
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    We must have opposite taste buds because I can't eat tofurky franks I tried those tomato ones and the beer sausage ones (actually it was more a texture thing....I found them a bit funky but still can't eat them regardless)

I do like yves tofu dogs though good flavor and normal "meat" texture. I do like the Yves salami and turkey deli slices. I like Yves chicken nuggets (totally delicious one of my favorite foods) I love the yves chick n burgers and the sol cuisine original burger (this one is more like "beef" I think these are the best meatless burger that I have ever tried ) and they are only 109 calories, 2.8 fat, 290 sodium, 7 carb, 4 fiber and 15 protein.

one of my favorite new foods is the gardein chick'n scallopini (they are just like a chicken breast, I eat them with a side of rice/quinoa and some veggies, the flavor is soooo good and I buy them at walmart for like 5$ and you get 4 nice sized servings (100 cal, 4 fat, 330 sodium, 4 carb, 2 fiber and 12 protein)

OH AND I LOVE LOVE LOVE THE MEXICAN FLAVORED GROUND "BEEF' by Yves!!!!!!
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    I was Vegetarian for around four years, and started working meat back into my diet in January of this year. I can only handle the "white" meats though. My body for some reason has lost the ability (enzyme) to even TRY to digest red meat (obviously, that happens), but I never enjoyed red meat pre-veg...anyway, I digress.

I discovered the joys of hummus just last year. I'd eat it with anything. Carrots, pretzels, spinach leaves. Anyway, that's not what you're talking about...

As for meat substitute products,

I was slightly impressed with Smart Stuffers Chicken Cordon. It's not like the Morning Star grilled chicken pieces that are hard as brick. There's 21g protein per 2 stuffers too. I'm also in love with sushi...I didn't know that most of it was made with imitation crab meat. Even though I am no longer Vegetarian, I still eat the stuff by the plate when I can find it. (I live in a very MEAT MEAT MEAT focused environment, so I'm lucky to get it once a month). What else, let me think...

The brand is VEAT, and it's a Chicken Breast. It tastes like meat, cooks like it too, but does not taste quite like chicken. It's delicious if you season it up.

:)

It's imitation crab meat, but it is still fish. One reason I prefer people to state when they are pescatarian. Once gave a asked a coworker to grab me the vegetarian sushi for lunch. I was stuck in the office working on a deadline. They brought me this imitation crab meat junk. I' not only do not eat seafood, I am severely allergic.
  • djkymba
    djkymba Posts: 174
    Options
    So Delicious Coconut Milk is the greatest thing on earth!!! I love that stuff!
  • cupcakecarnivore
    Options
    Tempeh! It looked so weird to me....but I love it:) Especially the bacon flavored one on sandwhiches!
  • TenLaws
    TenLaws Posts: 273
    Options
    Kashi has a frozen meal called Mayan Harvest Bake!!! Soooo good.
  • sophia_b
    sophia_b Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Daiya cheese, coconut milk yogurt/milk/creamer, and tempeh are my favorite.
  • Madrow
    Madrow Posts: 62
    Options
    I was a vegetarian (lacto-ovo) for 3 a month period about 6 years ago and want to return to it. I stopped because alternative foods weren't as affordable as they are now (and variety sucked because they weren't as available), and living with a bunch of carnivores meant that "my food" was an addition to the food budget. I love Morningstar and Boca brands, and Yves is great for sandwich "meats". The cheese sub to avoid would be the Veggie Shreds, Veggie Slices, etc. Like eating gooey plastic:noway:. Luckily, there are a lot more cheese alternatives out there than there were when I was working on veganism, including ones without casein (milk product added to some "fake" cheeses to add melting quality). I have yet to try these, so I can only speculate their awesomness.

Also, The book "Skinny *****" by Rory Fieldman (I think that's her last name) and Kim Somethingorother gives a great list of tried-and-truly yummy vegetarian/vegan alternatives.

Hope this helps and happy eating!
  • VeganGal84
    VeganGal84 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    As far as fake meats go, I'm a vegan Boca burger gal... But usually I'm into beans, beans, beans!!!! :-)

Thanks for the tip about the sausage, that does sound delicious.
  • rachelwebster
    rachelwebster Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    morningstar riblets! As a carnivore I never liked ribs but as a vegetarian I love these things.
    I also like some of the Quorn products quite a bit though they are not vegan.
  • rubyrenga
    rubyrenga Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I was a vegetarian for 10 years or so before going back to being a pescatarian (sp?). Anyway, I love the Morningstar sausage patties, tempeh, lightlife veggie ground beef, morningstar mock chicken strips, morningstar chik patties, and the list goes on! I just love most meat substitutes. Have to disagree with the Quorn lovers, though. I have found most of their stuff bland.