Exercising and eating at a certain time?

Options
Hello.. I've heard that if you stop eating after 6, it can help you with your weight loss. I've also heard that it's better when you exercise before you go to sleep..
Is there any truth to this?

Replies

• BikiniBMI
    BikiniBMI Posts: 7
    Options
    I really want to know too!!!
  • erinleigh76
    Options
    lets hope I did my treadmill at 10 pm last night :)
  • emmaNEEDSskinny
    Options
    i say it does not matter what so ever!

defo doesnt matter about eating after 6 thing
  • saffir27
    saffir27 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I don't think it matters when you eat, however working out less than 2 hours before bed can make falling asleep difficult. Although I think it does vary by the person.
  • j_g4ever
    j_g4ever Posts: 1,925 Member
    Options
    bump
  • kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    i heard its better to exercise a little first thing in the morning (for half an hour max) and ive been eating very lightly in the evening recently and my weight has been flying off but i dont know if its just a coincidence.
  • maryd523
    maryd523 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    I don't think it really matters. What matters is your calorie deficit over the long term. And I think exercising should be whenever the hell you want it to be, it's just good to do it.
  • rwd5046
    rwd5046 Posts: 302
    Options
    Excerising before bedtime can either make you tired and rest better or it can rev you up and you can't go to sleep. I've also heard you should not eat after 6 pm but if your counting calories (like most of us here) and you haven't taken in your limits for a day then it could be counter productive for you and cause your body to go into a starvation mode. That's something to thnk about........
  • bmw4deb
    bmw4deb Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    Eating time doesn't matter, I do believe it is good
    to exercise in the mornings as well as any other time.
    I recently started exercising at 6am for 20 -30 mins as well as
    my evening routine it has only been like 10 days and i have really
    started to notice a difference .
  • Phanessa917
    Phanessa917 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I can't remember where I read it but the working out in the morning thing is suppose to help with your energy level for the day and it helps burn calories... Not eating late at night is due to digestion (if you eat right before bed) I think :P
  • Irish_Gal_74
    Irish_Gal_74 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter when you eat...just don't do it past 12am. Otherwise, you will need to log for the next day. Personally, I can exercise right before falling fast asleep.
  • thaismoreira
    thaismoreira Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    what is important is the calories count not the time you eat, however it is important to eat small portions and several meals a day. the problem with me is that once I get home from work I eat without discipline. About the exercise I think there was a study showing that working out in the morning is more effective than in the evening to lose weight, but again if the time you have is in the evening go for it, not everybody has the luxury to chose when to exercise.
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Eat when you can, exercise when you can!

If that means you get up at 400am to fit in a workout, so be it, if it means you exercise at 10pm and go to bed immediately after at 1030 so be it.
  • Sofitness
    Sofitness Posts: 54
    Options
    About the exercising - I thought it's the best thing in the morning too, but I had an appointment with my doctor (because of backaches in the past) and she told me that it's not very good, because apparently the spinal discs are somehow soft after sleep! I was very surprised and actually would like to know if it's true (but I do quite trust her).
  • ste73
    ste73 Posts: 90
    Options
    If you exercise in the morning before you've eaten it burns fat cells quicker as there are no or fewer food calories to burn off first
  • ste73
    ste73 Posts: 90
    Options
    it's because your burning straigh into the fat cells as there are no food calories to burn through first, giving you an almost instant result