HELP ME PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Options
Ok so I'm here to get a little help, I need to loose a lot of weight and I really want to but I have been having a few problems so I need some advice from people who may have had the same issues, 1st I don't like many vegitable or fruits, I'd rather be eating fried meat, fries and chips! Is there a way of getting use to changing your life style from eating junk to eating healthy fruits and vegitables? 2nd in the afternoons when I'm setting around the house with nothing to do I'll snack on junk foods just because I have nothing to do......what should I do about that?

Replies

• getsveltEagain
    getsveltEagain Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    2nd in the afternoons when I'm setting around the house with nothing to do I'll snack on junk foods just because I have nothing to do......what should I do about that?

Go for a walk... do something to be active instead of snacking :wink:
  • Taylor521
    Taylor521 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    eat whatever you want, just keep the calories down

only advice your every really going to get, the rest is just filler
  • ShelbyLB
    ShelbyLB Posts: 431
    Options
    instead of thinking 'i dont like fruits & veggies'...go out and discover things you DO enjoy eating..(aside from junk foods)....Often times people focus too much on the CAN'T EATS and not the CAN EATS.....it doesn't have to be all fruits & veggies....mix in whole grains, lean proteins, etc.....be creative!!!

As far as being bored and eating.....if I find myself TEMPTED while at home...I will get off my tush, and start doing something productive, such as CLEANING....works every time :) Good luck!
  • cillytilly
    cillytilly Posts: 243
    Options
    I avoid buying a lot of junk for my house. It helps me avoid munching on unhealthy things. Also if you don't mind spicy flavors you can really make the veggies even better with them. You can also create oven ""fried" meats so breaded baked chicken. This might help with your transistion.
  • bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    I don't know how you will live a healthier life with only eating fried meats and potatoes. :)

You're going to have to figure out what type of fruit and veggies you like and work them in. It's amazing how much better I think they taste grilled.

For eating out of boredom you need to find something else to do to not think about it. Maybe books? You could read some cook books and find some healthy recipes and walk to the store to get them. :)

You get out of it what you put into it. If we could eat like crap and not exercise and lose weight we wouldn't be here.
  • Randy_Q
    Randy_Q Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Oh another question, What foods are good filler foods?
  • Dippydog
    Dippydog Posts: 154
    Options
    I hated veggies and fruit too, but then I slowly got to a point that I actually craved those instead of the junk food. Now when I want to eat junk food....I look at the calorie content and decide if it is worth wasting all my calories. For example, last night I wanted a frozen DiGiorno pizza until I found out the entire pizza is 1,700 calories. That is waaayyy too much. So I ate my planned meal and I was happy with my decision.

It comes down to deciding if you are really totally in to this or not.

Good Luck.
  • Scott613
    Scott613 Posts: 2,317 Member
    Options
    Diet plays a huge roll in weight lose!!!!!!! If you don't change it you won't change your body. Your diet also is the hardest thing to keep up with. it's not an hour a day like working out it's all day everyday. With that said you can have cheat days here and there just make sure you earned it!
  • kiwicakes
    kiwicakes Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem with boredom eating, make sure you don't keep any junk food around for snacking solved mine. Instead I stocked my bridge with fresh fruits and other healthier alternatives.

You can eat whatever you want, I think moderation is the key.
  • ivansmomma
    ivansmomma Posts: 500
    Options
    You've taken the first step to a healthier lifestyle, and that is admitting that you need help. Are there any veggies or fruits you like? Could you eat canned fruit (in its own juice), or try to start incorporating some veggies into your daily diet? From experience, I know that tastes change, and starting to eat a few veggies and/or fruits a day may help. Your system is used to the not-so-good foods, and it will probably rebel at first, but this is going to be a lifetime commitment, not just until you lose the weight. Also, instead of sitting around in the afternoon and being tempted to snack, find an activity. It could be walking outside, or if it's too hot, walk in place while watching TV. If you have a Wii, there are great activities on these that will help to keep you active and burn off calories as well.

Take baby steps, and I know you will be successful. You can friend me if you want. Take care.
  • MrsRobertson1005
    MrsRobertson1005 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    If you eat whatever you want you won't be healthy, you might loose weight but you won't get the energy or any of that you would get if your body was healthy. You will get used to it, just do it a little at a time, don't just straight cut yourself off. Find recipes to make healthy fries, and make breaded, baked food instead of fried. Get healthier chips like baked or sunchips. Just do little stuff :). And drink water instead of snacking, or like someone else said, go for a walk. I like to watch tv and relax after work and i ALWAYS want to snack so i eat some pretzel sticks or make a protein smoothie. You can make super yummy protein smoothies that taste like milk shakes! Helps curb the appetite
  • phany76
    phany76 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I think the way you can get your vegetable and fruit at the same time and not notice and maybe even enjoy it is making it in a Green Smoothie. I love Green smoothies, they give me so much energy and i notice such a difference when i drink it. It's like a meal by itself, matter of fact i sometimes use it as meal. I hope that works.
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    ~chuckling~

First off... no one said it was going to be easy, so you're going to have to work a bit, but honestly, only a bit, after a while you'll find you crave different things.

I'd say start off by eating more of the fruits and veg you know you like... no, potatoes don't count. Make small changes every week. Try new stuff, try stuff you thought you hated because tastes do change. I used to detest grapefruit, now I love it. Same with oatmeal, it was just a case of how I happen to have it.

Small changes are the best way to go.

2? Uhmmmm... find something else to do?
  • thurberj
    thurberj Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Vegetables and LEAN protein, not fried.
  • Magen75
    Magen75 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    There are some really good protein bars that help the sweet cravings. I like the brands Zone, Luna and Cliff bars. Now I will say that my husband likes the Zone bars and he never likes anything healthy.
  • mea9
    mea9 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Ice water. Really. You can chew the ice and - no calories
  • EmilySG2011
    Options
    First of all, re-train your body to crave healthy foods. Once you start eating the good stuff--you really don't want the bad. You can eat a lot more vegetables and fruits when you look at serving sizes and calories than the empty junk food. Eat small healthy portions more often during the day so you won't be hungry craving the junk. Increase your protein and fiber--these stay with you longer than carbs. I absolutely loved coffee and tea--however, the caffeine and sugar in both were bad--when I started this program I completely cut those two things out and replaced all liquids with water (that I absolutely hated). Now--I dont even like the taste of either--in just a little over a month. It really is about what your body is used to getting. Drink lots of water--at least 8oz per day---this is the best weight loss tool. Stop buying the junk food--I don't even have it in the house--therefore I can't eat it. Good Luck!!
  • Scott613
    Scott613 Posts: 2,317 Member
    Options
    Oh another question, What foods are good filler foods?

Try taking Konjac root before your meals. It's a fiberous pill that expands in your stomach with some water. It'll make you fill full a lot faster and you'll start having smaller portions at your meals.
  • hkrosez
    hkrosez Posts: 53
    Options
    1st I don't like many vegitable or fruits, I'd rather be eating fried meat, fries and chips! Is there a way of getting use to changing your life style from eating junk to eating healthy fruits and vegitables?

Then don't eat a lot of vegetables at first. You need to eat things you like? How about sandwiches, pasta, fish, etc? Instead of eating hamburgers, fried meats, and fries, switch it up for grilled meats, like chicken. And the fries - See if you can at least start by cutting back. Maybe instead of eating them 3 times a week, you make it a treat for yourself. You can still eat whatever you want, just work harder to lose the weight.

Hamburger buns are bad news in themselves, so see if you can omit them entirely. Eat deli sandwiches or hot meat on bread instead. Like grilled turkey and melted swiss cheese or something.

Something I do to prevent me from going out to eat is to bring my lunch to work instead of going out. This has helped me immensely. And then I bring whatever I want, but I eat it in about 1/2 hr, and take my other 1/2 hour for a walk.
    2nd in the afternoons when I'm setting around the house with nothing to do I'll snack on junk foods just because I have nothing to do.

This is where you can use this time to work out and start working on toning your body. Do something interactive like play a video game (I know that sounds counterproductive, but you aren't focused on food).

Junk food: You can still eat whatever you want, just watch your sugars, sat. fats, and sodium intakes. See if you snack on wheat thins or triscuits instead of chips. This is also a trick I learned. Triscuits, you can eat a lot more of them before it becomes the risk of eating a bit of potato chips. Also - you fill up faster and don't want to eat.

DRINK LOTS OF WATER!! This prevents you from wanting to eat all the time as well. Hope this helps!
  • pattitricia85
    Options
    Try a new recipe each week! Skinnytaste.com has some great ones, that even my boyfriend loves, or try searching using the 'recipe' forum here on MFP. Also, keep the junk out of your house!!!!!! Everyone is right though, the more good stuff you eat, the more you'll crave it. Not saying we don't get cravings for nachos and Blizzards from time to time... lol