YAY met goal...now WHAT? Success following MFP maintence?

Options
carajo
carajo Posts: 532 Member
Hey!!! has anyone had success maintaining following guidelines from mfp? it takes my cals. to 1870, plus whatever exercise i earn! Also have you still ate exercise cals in maintence? THANKS everyone!!!!!

Replies

• SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    Hey!!! has anyone had success maintaining following guidelines from mfp? it takes my cals. to 1870, plus whatever exercise i earn! Also have you still ate exercise cals in maintence? THANKS everyone!!!!!

yes and yes.

Some tweaking of the macro percentages, but in general, it should work.
  • shafernator
    Options
    how much did u lose?
  • ambie35
    ambie35 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    I have been maintaining for about 5 weeks. The first two weeks it appeared I had "gained" as my body readjusted to maintence,but then those few pounds dissappeared again and it has been smooth sailing.
  • Latoyamary
    Latoyamary Posts: 140
    Options
    cONGRATS!!!:flowerforyou:
  • Pronoiac
    Pronoiac Posts: 304
    Options
    Congratulations! That is awesome! Yes, it should still work just fine as a maintenance calorie monitor.

Here's a next level thought for you: avoid the maintenance mentality. 'Maintenance' can be psychologically tricky. Find a new physical goal of some sort to keep yourself moving forward.

Good luck!
  • carajo
    carajo Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    Since i began mfp i went from about 155 to 125:) On the macros.....any suggestions? I hear alot about as much protein as you want to weigh so 125 grams, what about carbs and fats??? THANKS!!!
  • avenathus
    avenathus Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Congrats on meeting your goal!!! I have been maintaining for a couple of months now using MFP. I did regain about 3lbs after reaching my goal, and then gained another 2lbs of lean muscle mass (gained lbs but lost body fat %). I don't always go with MFP's maintenance levels, however. It seems that they are a bit low considering that I work out 5-7 days a week and am working on building muscle. MFP sets it at 1440, so sometimes I'll do a couple weeks at 1500, then drop back down to 1400 or so (just in case I under-estimate my food intake, which is easy to do!).

Even though I did gain while I was "supposed" to be maintaining, I feel much happier about my body now! I've started strength training and striving to continue losing body fat %. That is where my goals are now. As long as I maintain within a 3-5lbs range then I feel like I am in a good place.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! That is awesome! Yes, it should still work just fine as a maintenance calorie monitor.

Here's a next level thought for you: avoid the maintenance mentality. 'Maintenance' can be psychologically tricky. Find a new physical goal of some sort to keep yourself moving forward.

Good luck!

^^^this

I would add to that saying, create new goals. Goals not related to weight loss, but other things, maybe an exercise goal, or a size goal, or a body fat % goal, or maybe a goal based on achievement like hitting an 8 minute mile, or getting your VO2 max to 60 or something like that, long term stuff that you would like to achieve.

Having goals helps us keep on track, just make sure you create a goal and not a wish. A wish is something you'd like, a goal is something you'd like and is achievable. A goal also is specifically designed with a strategy and path to reach, a timeline, and structure to help you get there.
  • Dom_m
    Dom_m Posts: 337 Member
    Options

Good luck!

Thank you! Last year I reached my goal and tried to maintain and then over summer ended up putting on weight again and now I'm back at it. I'm about 3-4 weeks away from my goal again, and I'm starting to worry about what to do next. This is perfect, I've got it sorted. Weird how such a simple post can cause the epiphany.
  • Pronoiac
    Pronoiac Posts: 304
    Options

Good luck!

^^^this

I would add to that saying, create new goals. Goals not related to weight loss, but other things, maybe an exercise goal, or a size goal, or a body fat % goal, or maybe a goal based on achievement like hitting an 8 minute mile, or getting your VO2 max to 60 or something like that, long term stuff that you would like to achieve.

Having goals helps us keep on track, just make sure you create a goal and not a wish. A wish is something you'd like, a goal is something you'd like and is achievable. A goal also is specifically designed with a strategy and path to reach, a timeline, and structure to help you get there.

Abdolutley, thanks for expanding. There are so many worhty goals in the physical realm. Maybe it's a completing a 10K, hititng a certain time in a race, rim to rim in the Grand Canyon, or just adding 5 pounds of muscle. I think that maintenance is a myth. You are either progressing or regressing in some way. Best to all!