Special k diet

Options
Does anyone actually do this diet and does it work? What kind of food do you east how much and when

Replies

• melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    It only works because you are restricting calories. Don't bother giving the Special K company money buying their special products when you can just reduce calories via MFP and eat real food, not just cereal, cereal bars, etc. It is essentially a company selling the idea of calorie restriction.
  • NewLeafEats
    NewLeafEats Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    The Special K diet is all marketing. "Replace two of your normal meals a day with one of our products and you'll lose weight." Well sure. At best, you'll lose water weight and maybe a little fat if you were replacing a greasy burger for a bowl of cereal, but the fact is, most of the special K products are not very nutritious and do not satisfy. Man cannot live on cereal alone, or even as 2/3 of their diet. ;)
  • Getting_Fit_4_Life
    Getting_Fit_4_Life Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    It only works because you are restricting calories. Don't bother giving the Special K company money buying their special products when you can just reduce calories via MFP and eat real food, not just cereal, cereal bars, etc. It is essentially a company selling the idea of calorie restriction.

Yes, I agree. You can do the same thing by just reducing calories and eating anything you want in moderation and aren't stuck eating just cereal and cereal bar.
  • lindsaylove07
    lindsaylove07 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I did it once, You eat 1 bowl of Special K with skim milk twice a day, and then one "normal" meal, I think you also get one special K snack. HOWEVER, other cereals have the same nutritional content as special K (not all, but a lot) I got really bored with cereal ALL THE FREAKING TIME, but it worked when I was doing it. it's not something you can sustain, if you need to lose 5 pounds before a trip or soemthing like that it's great, but this should not be your "diet"
  • Evy10
    Evy10 Posts: 9
    Options
    I personally wouldn't recommend it as I don't think you'll be getting enough vitamins and nutrients and variety in your diet.

I've been sticking to my MFP allocated calories each day and have ate varied healthy foods, just by doing this I've lost 5lbs in a month! I love MFP!! :-D
  • onlyJoanna
    onlyJoanna Posts: 20
    Options
    What I actually fund was that Special K, whilst tasty, wasn't actually that filling. So I either had to have two bowls where I would have one, or I wanted to snack more, both of which rather defeat the point...
  • ErinBeth7
    ErinBeth7 Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    I've looked at the special K diet and seems that you starve yourself for 2 weeks. All you eat is their cereal, special k shakes, bars, and granola bars. Maybe a little fruit too.
  • lagreen83
    lagreen83 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I agree, I wouldn't do it. You'll be starving yourself and will end up gaining whatever weight you've lost back, at the end of the diet. Just work on restricting your calories.
  • funkyspunky871
    funkyspunky871 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options

This is true. BUT! There's nothing wrong with eating Special K cereal for breakfast or even for lunch or dinner. If you think calorie restricting would be easier this way, go for it. Just remember that if you get tired of eating cereal and cereal bars, there's also no problem with using those calories to eat whatever you want (preferably veggies, fruits, lean meats, and whole grains... But everybody should indulge in their favorite french fries, donut, ice-cream, etc. every now and then).
  • hello_kitty3
    hello_kitty3 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I tried it cause my husband said it works great... well I hated it. I found myself starving because the thought of eating another bowl of cereal made me want to cry. I actually gained weight on that diet and was miserable so I don't recommend it. I haven't been able to even look at a bowl of cereal in months!
  • KourtneyP83
    KourtneyP83 Posts: 319
    Options
    My husband and I were comparing special k to lucky charms and found they are basically the same in nutritional value...I'd much rather have lucky charms personally but cereal isn't very filling at all.