Low Carb - is this magic?

Options
For the first several months of this thing of ours, i was dropping 7-8 lbs. I expected that number to get harder and harder to meet with each passing month. But when I got to 45 lbs lost, I switched to a low carb diet (70-75 grams per day) and the weigh is falling off me.

I have always heard of people having massive losses when they first switch to a low carb diet, but I thought it was simply water weight loss that i no doubt have already lost in the first 45 lbs I dropped.

I also started taking 4 vitamins every day suggested by my doctor when i started this plan, so maybe that is helping too (Multi-vit, B12, D3 and Fish Oil).

Since limiting myself to 75 grams of carbs per day and taking my vitamins, here are the changes I have noticed:

1 - I am NEVER hungry. I sometimes have to make myself eat in the evening even though i am not hungry
2 - I used to average 2000-2200 calories per day; I have not been over 1,600 since I started this
3 - I actually enjoy what I eat. More meat and eggs and nuts instead of lean fish and chicken
4 - My weight doesnt go up and down. I used to bounce between about five lbs from day to day depending on various things. But I can almost predict each morning what I will weigh.
5 - With that last point, there seems to just an overall consistency to me, both mentally and physically. No peaks and valleys. Energy, mood, alertness. It's as if someone took a giant iron and pressed out the wrinkles in my life.

I assume the overall well-being will continue, but can I expect to keep losing weight at this rate? It seems like I am going to jump from 1.5/2 lbs per week to 3.0/3.5. Can i count on that as long as I keep my 600-800 calorie workouts each day and maintain my 1600 calories per day diet?

Replies

• tabi26
    tabi26 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure how the weight loss will work out, but I eat less carbs (anyhere from only 30g/day to 90g/day unless I binge lol) and I find that I have WAY more energy and I'm not tired all the time. I too am very rarely actually hungry. I LOVE lower carbs.
    I too notice a great deal of weight loss for the first little while (although I'm already pretty close to my goal) I do notice when I'm down to the last 10lbs (I've been there WAY too many times haha) the weight loss becomes hard no matter how many carbs I eat.
  • fitnessbugg
    fitnessbugg Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your weight loss and continued success. You have a very interesting story. It sounds like things are really coming together for you. Sorry, I can't answer your question, but I will be lurking to see what others say!
  • ladybarometer
    ladybarometer Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I'm going to weight in the morning after being on my current eating plan for months and months, and see how much I weigh. If i don't see results, I'm going back to low carb. Right now, I stick around 100 a day, but I sometimes top out much higher since I often eat a lot of whole grad breads and pasts cause their cheap!

Plus, I just plain miss red meat!
    I'm feeling beastly right now. I could totally go for a medium rare ribeye right now!

I lost while following lower carb diets. A lot more than MFP says I should lose when following their plan. I also feel better, and more energetic! So why not go to what works for me, while still using my diary to make sure I don't go over board on my calories?
  • inafit16177
    Options
    bump
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    For the first several months of this thing of ours, i was dropping 7-8 lbs. I expected that number to get harder and harder to meet with each passing month. But when I got to 45 lbs lost, I switched to a low carb diet (70-75 grams per day) and the weigh is falling off me.

I have always heard of people having massive losses when they first switch to a low carb diet, but I thought it was simply water weight loss that i no doubt have already lost in the first 45 lbs I dropped.

I also started taking 4 vitamins every day suggested by my doctor when i started this plan, so maybe that is helping too (Multi-vit, B12, D3 and Fish Oil).

Since limiting myself to 75 grams of carbs per day and taking my vitamins, here are the changes I have noticed:

1 - I am NEVER hungry. I sometimes have to make myself eat in the evening even though i am not hungry
    2 - I used to average 2000-2200 calories per day; I have not been over 1,600 since I started this
    3 - I actually enjoy what I eat. More meat and eggs and nuts instead of lean fish and chicken
    4 - My weight doesnt go up and down. I used to bounce between about five lbs from day to day depending on various things. But I can almost predict each morning what I will weigh.
    5 - With that last point, there seems to just an overall consistency to me, both mentally and physically. No peaks and valleys. Energy, mood, alertness. It's as if someone took a giant iron and pressed out the wrinkles in my life.

I assume the overall well-being will continue, but can I expect to keep losing weight at this rate? It seems like I am going to jump from 1.5/2 lbs per week to 3.0/3.5. Can i count on that as long as I keep my 600-800 calorie workouts each day and maintain my 1600 calories per day diet?

Have you gotten tested for gluten intolerance? The mental is what makes me think you might be at least gluten sensitive. I stopped eating gluten and started losing weight without trying, I was eating less and feeling full for the first time...ever.
  • BR1986FB
    BR1986FB Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    Most of these comments sound like the similar results I got when I first went Paleo/Primal....weight/bodyfat falling off like crazy, high energy, more alert...WIN WIN.

Agree with the comment about the gluten. It's possible you could be sensitive to it. Congrats on your progress!
  • lulutm
    lulutm Posts: 57
    Options
    I have lived the Low Carb lifestyle and have lost 40 lbs and kept it off for over a year. My husband, 125 lbs. lost.

The real enemy of any healthy eating plan is processed food. Breads, baked goods, pasta, etc. I still eat brown rice and potatoes from time to time, but those are foods that occur naturally - they are grown, not man made. I also eat lots of meat and fresh fruit and vegetables and stick to the rule that, "If it had a momma, or came from the ground, its good for me."

I try to eat my carbs before 4PM, when I have time to burn them. My biggest meal of the day is breakfast!

I have loads of energy and I sleep so much better at night! It works! Congrats on your success!!!
  • samb
    samb Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Same here :D It does truly seem to be magic! Never experienced anything like this before in my life, but also never went even slightly low carb. I have been losing consistently, feel thin instead of bloated and have sooo much more energy than ever in my entire life! Yayy for low carbs!
  • inafit16177
    Options
    so what is everyones opinion on the "magic" percentage of carbs??? I am struggling with the last few pounds of weight, but have been terrified of going low carb because of the negativity around it....what does everyone feel is "low" carbs?
  • LaJauna
    LaJauna Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    so what is everyones opinion on the "magic" percentage of carbs??? I am struggling with the last few pounds of weight, but have been terrified of going low carb because of the negativity around it....what does everyone feel is "low" carbs?

The common thought is that over 150 carbs a day you are going to tread water unless you are busting your butt in the gym. 100 carbs is maintenence and less then 100 carbs, as low as 20 grams a day is the optimal level to lose weight. Me, personally strive for under 50 grams of carb a day. I feel amazing. So my percentages are 70% fat/ 25% protein/ 5% carbs. Some days I am spot on, some days I am over. But I try to never eat sugar in any form, breads, potatoes, rice and any starchy veggies. I eat lots of cruciferous veggies, and other low carb stuff.
  • ShampooIsBetter
    Options
    LaJauna, what are the actual numbers for those percentages? I currently shoot for 75/75/150 for C/F/P. I am thinking about dropping to 50 carbs.
  • ImperfektAngel
    ImperfektAngel Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Only time I lower my carb intake is if I am not going to workout!
  • Teemo
    Teemo Posts: 338
    Options

Why would it be magic?

1. As you get used to eating less you are hungry less.
    2. You are likely to eat fewer calories because you are cutting out an entire food group.
    3. No comment on this; this seems to be personal preference more than anything else. :smile:
    4. Don't know.
    5. Placebo effect, probably.

But whatever it is, it's working for you so as long as 1600 calories isn't undereating relative to the amount of activity you do then keep at it!
  • lulutm
    lulutm Posts: 57
    Options
    I try to stay below 125 on heavy cardio days (I do a whole lot of cardio - triathlon training!). Below 70 on my rest days, or on strength training days.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    Most of these comments sound like the similar results I got when I first went Paleo/Primal....weight/bodyfat falling off like crazy, high energy, more alert...WIN WIN.

Agree with the comment about the gluten. It's possible you could be sensitive to it. Congrats on your progress!

ME TOO!!
  • Willowalker
    Options
    Low Carb isn't magic, but it truly works for me. Magic implies that it's some power other than your own free will, discipline and excellent "real" (unprocessed) food choices. I did my homework on the low carb way of life. It requires planning to have the right kind of foods in stock and at hand at all times. It takes discipline to steer clear of the bombardment of crap foods - fast food, pizza, breads, pasta, goodies, all the crap you see on TV commercials all day long. Not to mention that nearly EVERYONE has some kind of low carb nightmare bull$hit story to tell you. I just ignored the negative flack and stayed away from the carbs and it's worked to the tune of 10 pounds a month for the past 4 months.

I kept pretty close to induction the first 3 months, keeping around 20- 25 carbs a day. In month 4 brought back blueberries & strawberries into my way of eating, bumping my carbs up to around 50ish, and the weight is still going.

Everyone warned me I would not have energy to exercise, but that was crap too, as I spend an hour to an hour & a half at the gym - usually 5 days a week.

My blood work has never been better. Prior to eating low carb I had high blood pressure, early onset of fatty liver disease and needed diabetic meds. I'm off all meds and my Doc is thrilled. Another horror story is that the eggs and bacon will crash your cholesterol, but mine is clean as a whistle - and I have that for breakfast every day.

My advise to anyone considering going low carb is to buy the (Atkins) book, read it, understand it, and invest in the time and energy to do it right. I think it's a great way to eat and live.
  • TK421NotAtPost
    TK421NotAtPost Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Not magic, but in our carbaholic societty, it may seem like magic.

BTW, congratulations on your progression!
  • LaJauna
    Options
    LaJauna, what are the actual numbers for those percentages? I currently shoot for 75/75/150 for C/F/P. I am thinking about dropping to 50 carbs.
    My diary is open to anyone who wants to take a peek. I didn't eat much vegetation today but I usually have some with my lunch or evening meal. I just didn't feel like getting it out and cooking it!
  • LaJauna
    Options

My numbers are set at 26/159/126 (C/F/P). Sometimes I am spot on, sometimes I am lower or higher.
  • findingfit23
    findingfit23 Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    Great job!! I love my low carb life!