Maintaining weight... and Muscle?

Options
HULLO <3

So I have a question about maintaining. (Duh)
When I get to my goal weight and get all ripped and stuff ;D , do I still have to workout equally hard every day to maintain the muscle definition and toned-ness that I achieved when I was losing? I will if I really have to, but it might be nice to get a slight break from all that once I'm where I want to be.
Does all that muscle definition go away while maintaining if you don't keep working it really hard?

I will always work out and eat right, for many health reasons, I'm just curious :)

Thanks!! <3
~Mae :flowerforyou:

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Maybe not quite as hard, but you will still have to workout. If you do cardio 4-6 days a week now and strength training 3-4, I think you could get away with 2-3 days strength training and 2-3 of cardio to maintain, but you will still have to push yourself.
  • End6ame
    End6ame Posts: 903
    Options
    Personally, I think you should soot for a new goal, once you get to your goal weight. Exercising is not just about your weight, it is about training yourself to be a better performer. You can always get stronger, run faster/longer, etc… Just keep setting goals and reaching them.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Personally, I think you should soot for a new goal, once you get to your goal weight. Exercising is not just about your weight, it is about training yourself to be a better performer. You can always get stronger, run faster/longer, etc… Just keep setting goals and reaching them.

I agree 100%, once you accomplish something (goal weight) set a new goal to reach for.
  • RattieLove
    RattieLove Posts: 125
    Options
    Alright, good to know :) And great tip about goals... I think that will keep me working out, always setting new goals for myself to reach ^.^

Thanks!! :flowerforyou:
  • pyro13g
    pyro13g Posts: 1,127 Member
    Options
    If you are lifting heavy and hard, once a week is plenty not only to maintain, but also build muscle. This is also something that depends. The more advanced you are, the slower your muscle will atrophy from lack of use. Even for the lesser trained it doesn't even start until about 10 days. Trained doesn't start for even longer. And remember, your muscle has memory. Should you atrophy from illness, a longer break, etc.. It goes back on easy and quick. I put 13lbs of muscle back on in less than 30 days after losing it when my appendix exploded.
  • RattieLove
    RattieLove Posts: 125
    Options
    If you are lifting heavy and hard, once a week is plenty not only to maintain, but also build muscle. This is also something that depends. The more advanced you are, the slower your muscle will atrophy from lack of use. Even for the lesser trained it doesn't even start until about 10 days. Trained doesn't start for even longer. And remember, your muscle has memory. Should you atrophy from illness, a longer break, etc.. It goes back on easy and quick. I put 13lbs of muscle back on in less than 30 days after losing it when my appendix exploded.

That's good to know :) It's a nice thought really, that I don't have to hammer out 6 rigorous workouts per week after I get where I'm happy :P
    Here's a flower :flowerforyou:
  • pyro13g
    pyro13g Posts: 1,127 Member
    Options

That's good to know :) It's a nice thought really, that I don't have to hammer out 6 rigorous workouts per week after I get where I'm happy :P
    Here's a flower :flowerforyou:

Good chance those 6 vigorous workouts will eventually eat up muscle anyways. Could hold you back from getting to goals. My lifting usually take less than 15 minutes a week.