Difference between HRM and MFP calculations

2»

Replies

• MORECHABLIS
    MORECHABLIS Posts: 164 Member
    I have a HRM linked to a watch, I've used GPS loggers & websites to find my calories used and used all three to see what they said about my calories used during the exercise.

EXAMPLE: (cycling over 160 minutes, 12-14 miles per hour)

My age 43, weight 264 lb. At the time...

Highest: GPS Logger (i-Gotu) = 3,921.calories

Medium: HRM monitor (cheap one) = 3,234 cals (I have bought a Polar H7 for my Samsung GS3, am waiting for update software update to use it)

Lowest: My Fitness Pal = 2610 calories

I can't wait until Samsung update the Bluetooth, so I can check all four...

I just tend to go with somewhere between the lowest and medium.
  • Danimal718
    Danimal718 Posts: 90 Member
    What GPS are you using? I did 24 miles in 1:25 at 17,ph avg the other day and my total calories per my Garmin software were 1400cal, MapMyRide was 2400cal and MFP was 2600. I use a Garmin 910xt and trust the software out of the 3. I am 42 and 261 right now.
  • 40 mins around 670 Kcals, but I'm real fit, you do know that is a double negative at the end of the equation, not really clear... sorry. That means it's a plus, as in add that number?

Or email me and I'll send you the girls file in a jiffy?

regs

phil
  • dondimitri
    dondimitri Posts: 245 Member
    The 910xt number, 1400, sounds reasonable. The others seem way high.
  • davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    MFP calculations are based off of what someone else has put in and their experience, not based off of your body, your work out, your hr.

But HRMs are based on someone else's calorie burns for the same heart rate that you are showing:-) They are both just educated guesses of what a typical person will burn. They are calculated in different ways and some estimates will be good at some things, some at others and some not very accurate at all - and it not possible by looking at the numbers to know which is which. I suppose the best way would be to average the two numbers and assume that is what you have burned :-)
This discussion has been closed.