Paleo Diet

Options
Alyx128
Alyx128 Posts: 92 Member
I think I am going to start the Paleo Diet. Anyone on this program? How has your experience with this program been? How much weight did you lose? Any helpful advice for sticking to this program? How much protein should I try to eat?

Replies

• Pam3
    Pam3 Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    bump
  • sblair77
    sblair77 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I am interested in what responses you get back. I have friends that do it for a few weeks at a time and then go off and back on - Not sure how it should really be done.
  • sabrafox
    sabrafox Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    If you're going to do it, reading the book will help you understand their ideas. It's basically a no-white diet, but with the option to occassionally cheat.

My husband does it, and he loves it.
    But you should also know that for people trying to lose weight, it does not have as high a success rate as other programs.
  • Alyx128
    Alyx128 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    There's a paleo thread somewhere on here, adorably misspelled as palelo i think...check them out, they are helpful and full of information and love new-comers.

edit: found 'em: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/267812-palelo-support-group?hl=palelo&page=11#posts-3675157
  • freerange
    freerange Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    I do it, and have lost 46lb since Jan. Paleo/Primal isn’t really a weight loss diet it’s a healthy lifestyle diet. HOWEVER, there is a built in weight loss aspect to it, it is a very satiating diet, low carb, and clean way of eating.
  • Zeromilediet
    Zeromilediet Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I've been doing this since mid-march and have lost weight, but more (and most important to me) than that, I feel fantastic. You can read my profile but in a nutshell I feel like I'm 20 again. I don't have any problem eating this way, although other people in my life think it's weird not to eat grains,cookies, fast food, etc. And you have to wonder when it became abnormal to not want soft drinks, fries, and generally anything processed.

Personally I don't make substitute baked goods with nut flours like some, but as with this way of eating in general, you'll come to tweak it to your own tastes and what works for you. There's books written about this by people with various takes on what's "allowed" but in real life you'll make your choices.

Bottom line for me ... Is my health worth giving up processed and in many cases, crap, food? Yes.
  • thegoodner
    thegoodner Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Doing it since May 16 and have lost 25 pounds of nearly all body fat. I feel amazing and blessed that I was turned on to this lifestyle. I do allow for some full fat dairy and I'm not strict about lean meat over fattier cuts so that makes me primal more than paleo, but both advocate clean simple living, moving a lot, and lifting heavy things. If you pair a meat, vegetable, and a healthy fat at every meal, you've pretty much got it.
  • ResilientWoman
    ResilientWoman Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    If you're going to do it, reading the book will help you understand their ideas. It's basically a no-white diet, but with the option to occassionally cheat.

My husband does it, and he loves it.
    But you should also know that for people trying to lose weight, it does not have as high a success rate as other programs.

See ticker. Took 5 1/2 years to shed 76 lbs. Since March 21, 2011, I have shed 24 lbs. One pound per month or 8? YMMV

Also, my 6 pack will be finished before I can see it but it's there and will show up without abdominal exercises before very long. I am very satisfied with the decreased pain and feeling 20 years younger.
  • singer201
    singer201 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    I've been eating about 90% Primal (with dairy) using MFP's calorie guidelines and keeping carbs <100g/day, and have lost 50lbs. in 5 months while not feeling hungry or deprived. This is the first time in my life I haven't felt like I was on a "diet"; these are foods I can eat happily for the rest of my life.
  • jamk1446
    jamk1446 Posts: 5,577 Member
    Options
    I will have been eating a version of paleo for almost 5 years. I follow a version of paleo known as the Primal Blueprint. No grains except for occasional rice, some dairy- cream, butter, full fat sour cream, occasional hard cheese. I had a number of health issues- prediabetic, fatigue, digestive issues, gluten sensitivity, acne, difficulty sleeping, PMS, weight gain, etc. Eating this way cleared up all those issues. I lost almost 40 pounds and have kept it off.

I will agree with an above poster that this isn't a diet, this is a lifestyle. I am not deprived without bread and pasta, I eat too well to be deprived. Fast food and boxed foods don't appeal to me at all anymore, all I taste is too much salt, soybean oil, and chemicals.

I was once very dependent on grain products- bread, pasta, cereal, tortillas. It was difficult at first to know what to eat when you can't eat all the stuff you know. But I scoured the internet, fitness magazines, and cookbooks for ideas and recipes. And started ordering differently when I ate out at restaurants. I knew I could do this when after only a month into this way of eating, I was successfully compliant when on a week vacation.
  • FirewifeCarrie
    Options
    I have been doing the Paleo lifestyle for a few weeks now. I would say I am better on some days than others. But for the most part I do stick to what I am supposed to eat. I even got my husband to start eating this way as well. Before starting this lifestyle change I lost 30 pounds due to a low calorie diet and exercising every day. I still exercise almost every day but I am more in a maintenance mode now. Granted I would be elated to lose 5-10 more pounds, lol! ;) I would love to have more 'Paleo' friends to help me get ideas from! I really love this idea and feel great because of it!