Help: Fear of swimsuits!

Options
Hi all,
Given that swimsuit season is upon us, I wanted to post a thread about wearing swimsuits on here. Are any of you are as self-conscious as I am about wearing a swimsuit in public? Even the thought about it makes my stomach knot up... The problem is that I have about 80 pounds to lose and am embarrassed about the cellulite on my legs. I even feel like the swimsuits with the little skirts are too revealing...

I just don't want my fear to rule my life and stop me from having fun. Have any of you gone through this or are going through this? Do you have any advice on what to do or how to deal with it?

Replies

• laurelderry
    laurelderry Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Yes! The only advice I have for you is what I keep telling myself- to just keep working harder so some day I'm not self conscious!
  • MrsRobertson1005
    MrsRobertson1005 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Me! When I have my clothes on everyone thinks i'm tiny, hehe i just wear good clothes. Although I do not have as much to lose as you, I do have stomach, TONS of stretch marks, and cellulite.. I just take a big breathe, take off my other clothes and get in the water, one i'm in the water I'm not as self conscience.
  • nldsmiley
    nldsmiley Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I am like that also....this year I said screw it. I just got back from Myrtle Beach and wore my swim suit. I will never see those people again and there were alot of other ladies that were way bigger then me wearing swim suits. I did have more fun not worrying about what other people thought. I know it takes alot but just try it...what is the worst that can happen?!?!?!
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I have a fear of swimsuits and I weigh 143-145lbs. I bought a tankini earlier this year and when I tried it on in the store - I loved it on me. Now, I'm not so sure about it. I've only worn it once and was so self conscious. I felt everyone was looking at me and wondering why on Earth I was wearing THAT. Ugh.
  • harley0269
    harley0269 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    whats wrong with swim trunks & a tankini top?? its cute & sporty & it gives you coverage. :flowerforyou:
  • dani238
    dani238 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I would suggest board shorts...they're a cute look and I think that'll mask your self conscious area. Now, it's just a mask. Use this fear as a motivator and get results you want!! Good luck girl!
  • Lstrhi
    Lstrhi Posts: 132
    Options
  • MicMar66
    MicMar66 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I would suggest board shorts...they're a cute look and I think that'll mask your self conscious area. Now, it's just a mask. Use this fear as a motivator and get results you want!! Good luck girl!

I bought board shorts (from Sears) and paired them with a bikini top. I LOVE the look! Good luck to you!
  • Mommawarrior
    Mommawarrior Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    I wear shorts and a sports top if I am going to the pool or beach. I am a very modest person and modesty doesn't fly out the window just cause I am going swimming. I wouldn't wear my bra and underwear to the beach so I see no need for even less.
  • xXxKayleighxXx
    Options
    I also have 80lb to lose. I have stretch marks on my tummy, etc.

I felt really nervous about putting a swimsuit on again. I actually bought a long vest a few sizes larger that i could put over the top in case we went to the beach, lol.

Recently my bf and i started swimming. I would never have gone on my own. I took my towel thinking right i'll cover up then throw it and jump in before anyone can see me.

Once i got there, i just started chatting with my bf like normal and we walked over to put the towels down. Nobody was looking at me. I felt ok. In fact, i felt great, especially after i'd been for my swim. We sat in the jacuzzi for a bit and i confessed how terrified i'd been and he just looked at me in amazement and said "What are you talking about? You look great."

My advice would be bite the bullet and go for it!
    Before you know it you'll be having a great time and enjoying yourself, not even thinking about it.

Just remember, you have made the decision to make a change and you are changing, but it doesn't happen overnight, it takes dedication and you ARE doing it.

Be happy xXx
  • lindsaylove07
    lindsaylove07 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I have to wear my swimsuit around the house for awhile before I go to a pool party, to make sure I'm comfortable in the swimsuit itself first. Then I can't just dive into the pool, I have to meander around it in my coverup like a tiger stalking it's prey, and with much trepidation, I can quick shimmy off my coverup and get in quickly. But NOT so quickly that everything jiggles and falls out...
  • a_stronger_steph
    a_stronger_steph Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I also have 80lb to lose. I have stretch marks on my tummy, etc.

I felt really nervous about putting a swimsuit on again. I actually bought a long vest a few sizes larger that i could put over the top in case we went to the beach, lol.

Recently my bf and i started swimming. I would never have gone on my own. I took my towel thinking right i'll cover up then throw it and jump in before anyone can see me.

Once i got there, i just started chatting with my bf like normal and we walked over to put the towels down. Nobody was looking at me. I felt ok. In fact, i felt great, especially after i'd been for my swim. We sat in the jacuzzi for a bit and i confessed how terrified i'd been and he just looked at me in amazement and said "What are you talking about? You look great."

My advice would be bite the bullet and go for it!
    Before you know it you'll be having a great time and enjoying yourself, not even thinking about it.

Just remember, you have made the decision to make a change and you are changing, but it doesn't happen overnight, it takes dedication and you ARE doing it.

Be happy xXx

:) This is great!! I think it ties into the fact, too, that lots of people (sadly) have body image issues and feel self-conscious about themselves... so I really think fewer people are "judging" others when they are worrying about how they look on their own!
  • LynnBirchfield
    LynnBirchfield Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    Yep -- I went to Virginia Beach over Memorial Day weekend and I was embarrassed. But, finally just sucked it up and went out there. As someone else already mentioned, no one other than my daughter and her friend knew me there. But, if I were invited to a pool party around where I live, I don't think I could do it.

Edit -- I have to find out what board shorts are....
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I have confidence about how I look in a swimsuit. I just don't like people looking at me. :laugh:

If I was at a beach or pool party around lots of other similarly nearly naked people, no problem. In my own back yard, which is a corner lot on a busy intersection, with nosy old retired neighbors that always want to talk to me... I feel funny. In part because those nosy old retired neighbors are usually shirtless and have bigger boobies than me. :laugh:
  • ckclontz
    ckclontz Posts: 68
    Options
    chevy88grl, you look amazing, and you should be SO proud of your accomplishment!! I can't wait to get to a point that I'm not completely freaked out by swimsuits, but you know what I did? I joined a water aerobics class, and discovered that not one soul takes a double look at me.

At 320 pounds, and beginning (again) on my journey downward with MFP, if there's anything to see wiggle and jiggle, you'll see it on me. If I can do it, folks, anyone can!! :flowerforyou:
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    I don't. I look around ans see bodies of all shapes and sizes. I see that even skinny people have cellulite or odd body shapes. I buy suits that flatter me in both color and shape and let go and enjoy myself.
  • AlexandriaMichelle
    Options
    I think even "skinny" girls have swim suit issues. I think we all have a fear of wearing next to nothing and showing it to our loved ones let alone complete strangers. I still have that fear and I have lost 30-35 lbs. But you know what, screw what everyone else thinks and find something that makes you feel good! Their are a lot of new swim suits out there that cover more. I personally like the Mono-Kinis. I dont like to show my tummy still and this swimsuit covers the tummy but shows some skin in the back. Board shorts always help! Pair the shorts with a cute tankini top and your set! It also helps to go onto Google and you can type in the swim suit you are looking for and it should pull up a ton of swimsuits you can order on-line. Look up swim suits for full figured women and you should find a variety of swimsuits as well. If all else fails try to find a place that can custom make a swim suit that has been on your mind but can't find. I hope this helps! Look fwd to being out in the sun and spending time with loved ones! :glasses:
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    chevy88grl, you look amazing, and you should be SO proud of your accomplishment!! I can't wait to get to a point that I'm not completely freaked out by swimsuits, but you know what I did? I joined a water aerobics class, and discovered that not one soul takes a double look at me.

At 320 pounds, and beginning (again) on my journey downward with MFP, if there's anything to see wiggle and jiggle, you'll see it on me. If I can do it, folks, anyone can!! :flowerforyou:

You must be my missing twin!. Then again I have always been the perfectly put together fat chick. People always compliments me on my clothes and both small & large ask where I shop. Although I'll admit that sometimes they ask because they are surprised that I can be both fat AND fashionable.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options

Thanks. I really appreciate it.

I just can't get through this swimsuit anxiety I feel. Like I said, I wore it once and was so self conscious I swore I was going to buy a different suit. Actually, it is the bottoms I hate. I feel like they're too short. I HATE my thighs.
  • SkinnyjeanKathleen
    SkinnyjeanKathleen Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all your replies! I will definitely look into board shorts. And those torrid bathing suits are very cute indeed :D