counting salad and fruit??

Options
i have lost, altogether, 2 and a half stone! i would really like to lose another stone so i joined mfp again and have been on here for two weeks now. i have been doing exactly what i did to lose the earlier weight but for some reason i have only lost 1lb in the two weeks. The only thing i think i'm doing different is not counting vegetables and fruit (unless it's a banana) i was wondering if anyone could tell me if they think this is the reason i'm not losing?? i'm on 1200 cals per day i don't do exercise as in the gym etc, but i walk everywhere with my twins in the push chair. i'd really appreciate everyone's thoughts on this. Thanks. :smile:

Replies

• s_a_ramey
    s_a_ramey Posts: 12
    Options
    You need to count all fruits and veggies. There are a lot of calories in those. It actually surprised me how many calories are in them.
  • Aileen46
    Aileen46 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I always count fruit, but I don't necessarily put in that I've had maybe 1 slice of tomato and things like that. But fruit does have quite a bit of calories so that could be why.
  • FairyMiss
    FairyMiss Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    iffin ya chew it and swallow it ya should count it
  • HollyMcCaw
    HollyMcCaw Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    You need to count all fruits and veggies. There are a lot of calories in those. It actually surprised me how many calories are in them.

I agree. I have had over 100 calories in vegetables alone today
  • jeffpettis
    jeffpettis Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I couldn't tell you if it is the reason you are not losing, but if you are going to "count" you should count everything you put in your mouth in my opinion.
  • RainyDayKelli
    RainyDayKelli Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I count every single thing that goes into my mouth. Even if it's just a bite of something. In the long run, it's better.
  • jms11416
    jms11416 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    u bite it - u write it
  • juebob
    juebob Posts: 6
    Options
    Thanx everyone. i'll start counting it all. the only problem is that i eat so much fruit and veg i won't be able to eat anything else!! haha. By the way i'm looking for some MFP friends so if any of you would like to add me that'd be great. Thanx again for your replies. Julie x
  • atomiclauren
    atomiclauren Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    I would also recommend weighing your fruits and vegetables (and using a reputable source for nutrition information) if you don't already.

Not only have I been surprised by how *much* I was eating (grams vs. a "cup" or "medium sized ----") but that the information in the MFP database wasn't always correct. I use FDA and USDA if I'm not sure (you may be able to find something more local though):

http://www.fda.gov/Food/LabelingNutrition/FoodLabelingGuidanceRegulatoryInformation/InformationforRestaurantsRetailEstablishments/ucm063367.htm

http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/search/
  • angela828
    angela828 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I always count fruits and veggies and my salads.... fruits are high in sugar (though "good" sugar), carbs, and even calories sometimes.

If you are sticking to a 1200 calorie a day diet and not counting fruits/veggies.. aren't you eating more than 1200 calories then??

I log everything - good and bad! :)
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    You can still get fat eating 3,000 calories of fruit and vegetables a day...log EVERYTHING!
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I always log my fruits and veggies(even tho the only vegetable I eat is like corn and potatoes) :)

I find that if I'm under on calories, a bit of fruit or veg can boost it up real quick.. and if you're not counting them, the same thing may be happening to you.