I really beliave in swimming!!

Options
I'm very much on swimming, it is so easy work out without killing yourself AND because I'm big girl and walking might be too much for me now (and it is too hot to walk anyway here in Florida). I do swim 1 mile a day and 5 days a week I do water aerobicks............and I love it.
Good luck to everybody!!!

Replies

• Tuovit
    Tuovit Posts: 10
    Options
    I'm very much on swimming, it is so easy work out without killing yourself AND because I'm big girl and walking might be too much for me now (and it is too hot to walk anyway here in Florida). I do swim 1 mile a day and 5 days a week I do water aerobicks............and I love it.
    Good luck to everybody!!!
  • dothompson
    dothompson Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    Congraulations. I really think that is the key to a lifetime exercise habit. Find something you love. Mine used to be swimming, but now it's Mountain Biking.
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    I love swimming! It is very gentle on your body and a great workout! I started swimming about 2 years ago to start training for triathlons and still try to swim laps at least 2x a week. It feels great to hit the pool after a good run, I've found it perfect to cool down! :smile: Happy swimming!

Jess
  • mcc2377
    Options
    I am just learning how to actually swim as I never learned as a child. I am learning to rotary breath as well as proper stroke technique. I guess because I am so out of shape and it is such a new skill, the most I can do is one length without having to stop and catch my breath! I can go out and walk vigorously for 30 minutes, but swimming is so different. I see much larger people than I swimming lap after lap. What am I missing or doing wrong? I try and only pause to catch my breath for as little time as possible. If I am too tired, I will use a paddle board or do a "backstroke" swim to keep my heart rate up. Help! Will it get better or am I just too old?
  • jessmomof3
    Options
    I am just learning how to actually swim as I never learned as a child. I am learning to rotary breath as well as proper stroke technique. I guess because I am so out of shape and it is such a new skill, the most I can do is one length without having to stop and catch my breath! I can go out and walk vigorously for 30 minutes, but swimming is so different. I see much larger people than I swimming lap after lap. What am I missing or doing wrong? I try and only pause to catch my breath for as little time as possible. If I am too tired, I will use a paddle board or do a "backstroke" swim to keep my heart rate up. Help! Will it get better or am I just too old?

I really think it just takes practice. It really is about technique, I've found. I've learned bi-lateral breathing (on both sides) which really helps. I am a runner, so I have a good cardio base, but swimming is just a whole different ballgame! Just keep at it, it will get easier!

Jess
  • charliesgold
    charliesgold Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I absolutely love swimming and had started swimming at our local gym; however, developed something akin to swimmers asthma due to the chemicals in the pool and can no longer use the pool :( It is a wonderful workout though!
  • mcc2377
    Options
    Thanks for the encouragement!
  • annathelu
    annathelu Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I'm big on swimming, too. But I can't seem to get myself motivated to get up and go to our rec center to do it. And, with winter coming, I fear it will never happen.
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options
    I'm big on swimming, too. But I can't seem to get myself motivated to get up and go to our rec center to do it. And, with winter coming, I fear it will never happen.

I think sometimes this is where 'fake it till you make it' comes into play.... I love working out! But doesn't always mean I want to get in the car when I have other things I also need to get done...but I get in the car head over to the gym, spend a few hours, run into my gym rat buds, always lots of laughter, hard workouts and WATER!

Love my water aerobic classes:heart: ...I purposely take the most intense so I can get a super workout. I also add strength training to the mix to balance it all out. Also love my Yoga, Water Chi Quong and so many other classes I've tried out and continue to love.

Perhaps you can start first thing in the a.m if your scedule allows? Other wise right after work or the soonest you can get into a class at the rec center.

It's DO-ABLE....if you want it bad enough...it truly is! I fell in love my first time there....and yes getting there the first time was not the easiest thing in the world I've ever done....but I made it and have been going since last year...... I get so much energy when I workout in the a.m, it continues throughout the day and to me that's worth it even if at first I thought I wanted to do something else, once I get there I am always very glad I went.

If I don't go....I get mad at myself and regret not going.....so this is what helps me to keep on keeping on....

You CAN DO IT....if you want it bad enough....:drinker: :wink:
  • ce_fit
    ce_fit Posts: 299 Member
    Options

I will try to add a piece of helpfull advice. My background is swimming. I was on the Canadian National Swim Team in my younger years. As JESSMOMOF3 said it is all about technique. I will just talk about freestyle or as some say frontcrawl.

The biggest mistake most people make is when there pulling hand enters the water they drop their elbow and pull back with the elbow first. The key in freestyle is to think of your hand as the fulcrum (your body will go over your hand). When your hand enters the water push your finger tips towards the bottom of the pool(rolling your pulling hands shoulder toward the bottom of the pool will help) and push your elbow towards your hand. If your finger tips are pointed to the bottom of the pool and your elbow is high you have now caught the water. The next step is to keep the pressure on the finger tips and pull your body past your hand. (it is so much easier to show than describe.) That is the most important part of freestyle, catch the water and pull over it. Concentrate on this before anything else.

A very good way to see if you are improving is to count your strokes to complete 1 length of the pool. The more efficent you are the fewer number of strokes you will take. Keep doing your lengths (keep a log) and work on your efficency and it will get easier.

You may want to see if they have any adult lessons where they work on your stroke. Another place you may want to check out is the local masters swim club and finally don't be afraid to strike up a conversation with one of the better swimmers that you see doing those endless laps to see if he or she is willing to give you any pointers. Have a great day and good luck!! :drinker:
  • mariethai
    mariethai Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Two question for the expert!

I've spent a lot of years in the pool, did extensive lessons and training when I was youger but that was many years ago and I am still so confused about some aspects of the style. My own has developed organically I guess!

I often see people kicking with their legs all over the place, it looks like it does more harm than good, but I think Ive gone to the other extreme of trying to be so extremely stream lined that I seem sometimes to barely use my legs at all? Also whats the best breath count, I do four strokes to every breath, but all the good people at the pool seem to favour the odd numbers??
  • chilli
    chilli Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Not too old ...my one water companion is an eighty three year old ......:noway:
    Keep it up you willl get gradually "water fit" .you are a learner !..... I swim too.and when I started back to at the beg of the year could only go 100m (4 lengths) without stopping, I now swim (or try to) the first 20 - 25 mins with out a break. It will come, believe me :bigsmile:
    Keep at it ....:drinker: too
  • MFS27
    MFS27 Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    Two question for the expert!

I've spent a lot of years in the pool, did extensive lessons and training when I was youger but that was many years ago and I am still so confused about some aspects of the style. My own has developed organically I guess!

I often see people kicking with their legs all over the place, it looks like it does more harm than good, but I think Ive gone to the other extreme of trying to be so extremely stream lined that I seem sometimes to barely use my legs at all? Also whats the best breath count, I do four strokes to every breath, but all the good people at the pool seem to favour the odd numbers??

Edited: I'm NOT the expert - just wanted to add my humble 2 cents :laugh:

I'm a devoted Master's (USMS swim group) swimmer - and I also prefer to breathe every 4, but I try to use a variety of breath counts. I asked my coach about this, and the fewer breaths you take, the less energy you expend moving your head out of the water, and the faster you go (streamlined) - so if you can sustain 4 strokes per breath, then you have an edge over the 3-strokers. However, some experts say you can stress your shoulder by the constant repetitive motion (called swimmers shoulder) - so they recommend that you alternate sides at least some of the time. This is also helpful when swimming in open water, since your landmark might be on the opposite side you normally breathe on - so you need to be comfortable with both sides.

Also, in regards to kicking - I try to keep my kick count at 4-6 when swimming aerobic, and higher for sprint. Distance swims - 2-4 kick count, but I make them count (strong kick).
  • MFS27
    Options

Give your body time to adapt to swimming. I've been a swimmer all my life - so swimming two miles in an hour everyday is my idea of a "pretty good workout." However, ask me to get on a treadmill for 30 minutes at a 10 mph pace....watch my butt fly off and smack into the wall :laugh:

I am SO not a runner, even though I'm "aquatically" fit...one of my goals is to train for a tri - I plan to join a group that eases you up to a full marathon (I think I can, I think I can...) :wink:
  • jessmomof3
    Options
    Give your body time to adapt to swimming. I've been a swimmer all my life - so swimming two miles in an hour everyday is my idea of a "pretty good workout." However, ask me to get on a treadmill for 30 minutes at a 10 mph pace....watch my butt fly off and smack into the wall :laugh:

I am SO not a runner, even though I'm "aquatically" fit...one of my goals is to train for a tri - I plan to join a group that eases you up to a full marathon (I think I can, I think I can...) :wink:

Funny you say that, aquatically fit. I was running/ biking fit but NOT aquatically fit until about 2 yrs ago. You CAN do a marathon, it's all in the training. I got into triathlons the last year and LOVE it. I've been a runner for about 4 yrs now, but love the cross training I get from swimming/ biking! Good luck and let me know if you have any questions!

Jess
  • jessmomof3
    Options

I will try to add a piece of helpfull advice. My background is swimming. I was on the Canadian National Swim Team in my younger years. As JESSMOMOF3 said it is all about technique. I will just talk about freestyle or as some say frontcrawl.

The biggest mistake most people make is when there pulling hand enters the water they drop their elbow and pull back with the elbow first. The key in freestyle is to think of your hand as the fulcrum (your body will go over your hand). When your hand enters the water push your finger tips towards the bottom of the pool(rolling your pulling hands shoulder toward the bottom of the pool will help) and push your elbow towards your hand. If your finger tips are pointed to the bottom of the pool and your elbow is high you have now caught the water. The next step is to keep the pressure on the finger tips and pull your body past your hand. (it is so much easier to show than describe.) That is the most important part of freestyle, catch the water and pull over it. Concentrate on this before anything else.

A very good way to see if you are improving is to count your strokes to complete 1 length of the pool. The more efficent you are the fewer number of strokes you will take. Keep doing your lengths (keep a log) and work on your efficency and it will get easier.

Great tips, thanks for sharing them! I've really been working on my stroke over the past year and am really seeing improvements! I need to start counting my strokes for a length of the pool, what would be a good number to shoot for?? Thanks for your expertise!

Jess
  • MFS27
    Options

Great tips, thanks for sharing them! I've really been working on my stroke over the past year and am really seeing improvements! I need to start counting my strokes for a length of the pool, what would be a good number to shoot for?? Thanks for your expertise!

Jess

It depends on the swimmer - how tall you are, etc. The best thing is to take a baseline (meaning count the number of strokes you need per lap right now) and re-test in a month, or so. I think I started off at 21-ish, and now I'm down to 18. Really concentrate on stretching your arm out, rolling to the side, and "catching" the water. The best thing, really, is to be able to SEE yourself. Our coach brought an underwater camera hooked to a tv on the deck one time, and we could see an instant replay of our stroke - it was friggin' awesome! Turns out I was pushing TOO far down before drawing my hand under my body - since then I've focused on pulling BACK, and not DOWN after the catch and I've noticed a speed increase (so have my lap-mates :laugh: ), and my shoulder has not been sore (whew.)
  • ce_fit
    ce_fit Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Knowledgable yes, expert no ... there's this guy called Michael Phelps that qualifies as an expert!:laugh: Kicking is a personal thing. Ultimatley it is there to balance your stroke. A sprinter may kick as much as 8 kicks per stroke where as a distance person may kick twice per stroke. Be aware of your kick but do not overemphasize it. Kick so you are comfortable. Another drill to work on your arms is to swimm some laps with a pullbuoy between your legs. This way you are just working on your arms.

Mollyk was bang on about stroke count being an individual thing, also depends on the size of the pool, 25 yard, 25 meter or 50meter pool. But do as she suggests, take a baseline and compare to that.
  • astridfeline
    astridfeline Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I used to swim in highschool although never had much training in specific technique. I always breathed on one side. This year when I picked up swimming again I have been training myself to breathe every 3 strokes. It seems to really help balance the stress on my shoulders. It's a bit awkward still & I revert back to breathing every 2 or 4 when tired, but I keep trying. I alternate swimming with the elliptical trainer (no arms), they really complement each other.
  • mariethai
    mariethai Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Cheers for all the great advice!

Another question, do you use hand paddles to correct swimming style, i.e. to make it more obvious where your stroke is inefficient or to improve arm strength?

And how often should you use them?