Question for runners - stress fracture??

Options
Hi All,
I was wondering if any other runners out there have ever had a stress fracture in the foot, what it feels like and what the symptoms are?
I have injured my foot on the top and I am concerned.

There is a definate tender spot on the top. It was sore earlier in the week and I took a day off running and cross trained/did spin instead and was feeling like no more than a dull ache yesterday so i did a good run on it.
It was ok while I was running but a few hours afterwards because quite sore again. It also hurts to flex my toes.

I have had some issues with my shoes and I also have a pretty messed up hill running 'technique' (read - weird habit) that puts alot of stress on that foot, so im hoping that its just a tendon strain or some kind of bruising.
Anyway if anyone has any thoughts I'd love to hear them

Cheers
LixxiKitti

Replies

• sezp
    sezp Posts: 69
    Options
    I had a stress fracture in my foot a few years ago and it was REALLY painful. When I walked on it, it felt like a grinding inside and it hurt to even put weight on it at all. It was one of the bones, so I guess different bones may have different feelings when fractured, but it's definitely worth getting it checked out and make sure you rest it until it's better :-)
  • sezp
    sezp Posts: 69
    Options
    I had a stress fracture in my foot a few years ago and it was REALLY painful. When I walked on it, it felt like a grinding inside and it hurt to even put weight on it at all. It was one of the bones, so I guess different bones may have different feelings when fractured, but it's definitely worth getting it checked out and make sure you rest it until it's better :-)
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    I experienced this same symptom a few weeks ago (top of foot hurt, tender spot). It *could* be symptoms of stress fracture, but it can also be because your laces were too tight or simply doing too much, too soon (common for beginning runners or runners who are upping their mileage/training). I took a week off running (as much as that sucked) and am slowly easing back into it, taking the time to build up my foot strength. Check this link out: http://secondwindbook.blogspot.com/2011/05/tofp.html
    (I realize this blog is oriented toward barefoot/minimalist running, but the info on the foot pain is still relevant to everyone)

If, after a few days to a week the pain is not better (or if it gets worse), then certainly get it checked out by a doctor.
  • LixxiKitti
    LixxiKitti Posts: 116
    Options
    Thanks for the responses. I have been running for about 8 months but I've recently really upped my milage/intensity so I bet its just a result of that. I will give my foot a rest today and tomorrow and do other workouts and I'm sure it will come right.
    Thanks!
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    I never got a stress fracture from running, but I did get one years ago from high impact aerobics(before everyone went to those suspended floors that have more give). It was extremely localized and to put any pressure on it was excrutiating. When I went to the sports ortho, he didn't x-ray it because he said it wasn't going to change his treatment plan whether it was a partial or total break. I wasn't allowed to do anything beyond necessary walking for 6 weeks. Mine was in the bone leading to the 4th toe but in the foot. Just thinking about it hurts!
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the responses. I have been running for about 8 months but I've recently really upped my milage/intensity so I bet its just a result of that. I will give my foot a rest today and tomorrow and do other workouts and I'm sure it will come right.
    Thanks!

Don't be afraid to give it a rest even longer than that and make sure you avoid not just running but any exercise that puts a lot of stress on your feet. A week may sound like a lot, but really it's better to give it a little extra time than not enough. When you do start doing exercises that are high-impact on your feet again, make sure to ease back into it to avoid reinjury. General rule is not to increase mileage by more than 10% per week, and don't push too fast on longer runs. Reserve speedwork for HIIT sessions and short runs.