How would you respond WITHOUT SARCASM?

Options
I've been on this journey for about 12 weeks now, and I've had a few people ask about "dieting" and what I'm doing for weight loss.

When I start talking about counting calories, portions, etc........I *ALMOST* always get this response:
( complete with the eye rolls and sound effects ) "OMG, THAT'S TOO MUCH WORK...."

I can come up with a TON (no pun intended) of sarcastic remarks- but that's not the way I WANT to respond.

Surely you've encountered this- how have you handled it so that you are ENcouraging someone? Not that long ago, I was saying the same thing- so I DO understand the reaction- although I find it rather *smug*- kinda a reverse discrimination.

Replies

• withchaco
    withchaco Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    "Wow, that sounds/looks like a lot of work and dedication. I couldn't live like that." (no sarcasm, although a bit pessimistic)

That's the response I usually get. It's not particularly encouraging, but it's not rude, either.
  • ritamerlot
    ritamerlot Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    perhaps it's just my personality, but the people i work with and my friends know i'm NOT being sarcastic when i respond with:
    "naw, it's not too hard, really. it's just a little discipline."
    then i'll lighten it up by adding "well...actually, it's a lot of discipline." and smile.
  • anthony438
    anthony438 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I've been on this journey for about 12 weeks now, and I've had a few people ask about "dieting" and what I'm doing for weight loss.

When I start talking about counting calories, portions, etc........I *ALMOST* always get this response:
    ( complete with the eye rolls and sound effects ) "OMG, THAT'S TOO MUCH WORK...."

I can come up with a TON (no pun intended) of sarcastic remarks- but that's not the way I WANT to respond.

Surely you've encountered this- how have you handled it so that you are ENcouraging someone? Not that long ago, I was saying the same thing- so I DO understand the reaction- although I find it rather *smug*- kinda a reverse discrimination.

Maybe just go with something like, "Yeah, it's been tough - but worth every minute of it"
  • 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I just tell them that we don't magically gain weight overnight, so we can't magically lose it overnight either! And it really doesn't take the impossible, just stop eating junk and start moving!

And I've been there with the sarcasm. Especially when I've been asked "what I used" as in pills, diet products, books, whatever. I start by saying "I used this awesome diet I found online... it's called MyFitnessPal.com, and get off your lazy butt and put down the ice cream pint!"
  • LessMe2B
    LessMe2B Posts: 316
    Options
    I would respond with: Well I found lugging around the extra weight far harder! :huh:
  • anthony438
    anthony438 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I would respond with:

I like it - it's short and to the point :wink:

*edit - shoot :sad:
  • melizerd
    melizerd Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    I usually tell people that once you get into the routine of doing it, it becomes pretty easy to do calories and portions. It's only those first couple weeks where you're learning how to count and measure that it takes brain power.

I also just tell people that I know that the work is worth it, and I'm not being sarcastic about it, just honest.
  • HollyMcCaw
    HollyMcCaw Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    those people are probably just bummed out because you are not telling them about some secret easy way to lose weight.. I'd jsut say... I am always just honest and say.. "yep, it is a lot of work"
  • MayhemModels
    MayhemModels Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Let your results speak for itself :)))))
  • RachelT14
    RachelT14 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    To be honest my response would just be something along the lines of yes but it works for me so its worth it, said with a smile
  • deeharley
    deeharley Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    I've seen it - or their eyes glaze over and they move on to the next subject. I too would like to see the non-sarcastic response.
  • tats76
    tats76 Posts: 9
    Options
    Easy, tell them that it might be some work at the beginning, but when you're used to it, it's pretty simple (especially with tools like this to help you track them) and it's WORTH IT!!! So maybe I would be a little sarcastic at the end, but really, if it's effective for you, then it's an easy challenge. :happy:
  • therobinator
    therobinator Posts: 832 Member
    Options
    Just tell them that yes, it can be a lot of work at first, but as you've gotten more and more into it, it's become second nature to you, just like *not* measuring and weighing used to be for you. Tell them that you are happy with what you are doing and what it's doing for you, and that you don't consider it "work." Tell them you'd be happy to help them get started if they are interested. That ought to quiet their criticisms.
  • Hodar
    Hodar Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Whip out my iPhone - fire up the App - and say "If you can manage this, you can EASILY manage to drop the weight".

For some, simply having the information available is all it takes.
  • adamswife01
    adamswife01 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    you can just say "its personal and everyone has to find whats right for them...." (thats about as non sarcastic as I can be.)
  • lil_pulp
    lil_pulp Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    "It was a tough change at first, but it's not too much work anymore and I'm feeling really good so it's worth the effort." Or something.

When I was actively losing weight and people asked me how I was doing it, I would just say that I changed my eating and exercise habits. Then if they wanted more details (and they rarely did), I'd go into the specifics.

Congrats on your success.

-LP
  • justavoice1989
    justavoice1989 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    maybe say something like, "it has bee a lot of work, but you have to work hard to get where you want to in life." if theyre your coworkers, they can take that and understand it with a little more clarity.
    i always get the eyeroll, like omg you count calories!? except i dont mind being flat out rude if theyre rude about it back ^_^
    :flowerforyou:
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    I just say," I've been watching what I eat and exercising. As you can see it's made a big difference so it's worth the effort."
  • Texas501
    Texas501 Posts: 274
    Options
    I say "clean living." And usually I get a smile and a laugh, and then that topic is done. They really don't want to hear how, unless it's some magic pill, or exotic fruit that's blended into a shake. Now the ones that continue to ask and really want to know how, that is when I go into the explanation and spend time explaining the process.
  • Bella1hud
    Bella1hud Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    I usually respond with singing the praises of MFP, what a great site it is, the huge database, the support, how I have connected with many other Christian ladies, etc...and then say something like it would be a burden if it wasn't so much fun connecting with other people who are on the same weight loss journey, sharing fabulous recipes, sharing motivation ideas, etc. I guess since that takes the focus of "me" and "my" discipline", folks don't feel offended?