Diet Slump

Options
Howdy all!

I am on a diet slump. I do not have the confidence in myself like I did 8 years ago. I lost faith in myself. I have lost weight before in the past, it was pretty easy back then. Why am not letting it be easy for myself again?

Have any of you gone through a diet slump during your success and how did you deal with it?

Any helpful suggestions are welcome. Share your story about your struggles and how you made yourself strong. I appreciate it.

Thank you for taking the time to reading this.

Shari

Replies

• spazmother0727
    spazmother0727 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Howdy all!

I am on a diet slump. I do not have the confidence in myself like I did 8 years ago. I lost faith in myself. I have lost weight before in the past, it was pretty easy back then. Why am not letting it be easy for myself again?

Have any of you gone through a diet slump during your success and how did you deal with it?

Any helpful suggestions are welcome. Share your story about your struggles and how you made yourself strong. I appreciate it.

Shari
  • renae5
    renae5 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Slump?That is hardly the word for how I felt a few weeks ago!! When I had my two older children I was in my 20s and despite the fact that I gained 61 pounds with each pregnancy the weight always came right back off. Needless to say, when my baby girl was born in Feb. I was no where 20 anymore and even though I only gained 35 pounds, I had been to "happy" before I go preggo and had gained a little prior topping the scales at delivery at 232 pounds. The initial 35 pounds came off in 17 days post baby what with healing from a C-section and breastfeeding (uses lots of calories) Then all heck broke lose with my body, had to have additional surgery, my milk disappeared, etc. I felt horrible and I quit losing ANY weight. I would walk on the treadmill for 60 minutes a day, eat next to NOTHING still the weight didn't budge and my baby was now 6-7 months old. ANYWAY, I joined this group just last week, I am keeping my food diary religiously and not "dieting" anymore, I try to make responsible eating choices, exercise when I can (30 minutes 4x a week) and I am really trying to quit stressing about the weight- because killing myself over it wasn't working either. Well, guess what, after just this week of enjoying life and "thinking" about what I eat instead of starving and enjoying my baby and an occasional nap instead of jumping on the treadmill everytime she falls asleep I have already lost 4 pounds. I know it is not much, but it is a move in the right direction and I am a MUCH happier person for letting go of the stress and just trying again.
    Keep your chin up and smile! Because being happy with your self is so much more important than some little numbers on a scale!!:flowerforyou:
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options
    Howdy all!

Shari

I'm no longer dieting so no I'm not in a diet slump.....so can't help you much there.:huh::ohwell:

Being on a 'diet would put anyone in a slump:laugh: :noway: Perhaps thinking of it as a lifestyle change in eating...would help make it more real in your mind and be something you can continue for the rest of you life.

The word 'Diet' always seems like a temporary thing....like it's something you start stop start stop...etc. each time feeling like a failure...I got quickly tired of all the rollercoaster rides so no longer ride them.

Clean heatlhy eating, regular excercise and drinking plenty of water and hanging around MFP folks will certainly help you change your mind set and get those lbs. not only off but help you to become a healthy minded person as well.

The best to you on your new outlook on life.... it's a journey....a life long one.... doesn't mean you have to give up anything...merely means everything in moderation. You'll learn there are some things you just won't enjoy anymore and choose to give up on your own....your old 'treasts' will no longer be that exciting once you see the change eating healthy will do for you.:drinker:

But it does take a mind change...and dedication....it's not easy....but it's simple...and can be done as many on MFP will share.:flowerforyou:
  • DjBliss05
    DjBliss05 Posts: 682
    Options
    I have been in a "diet slump" my entire life, lol.

For one thing, everyone's metabolisms slow down in 8 years. I know mine has. I remember going on diets in high school and dropping 10 pounds my first week. The thing about that was that it always came back on, plus another twenty. I reached my highest weight of 267lbs right before my prom... every girl's dream, right! :cry:

Since high school, I have managed to keep a downward trend in my weight loss, but it has been sooo slow and I never really broke out of a certain weight range. I am getting back to my lowest weight right now (215 in junior year of college) and I plan to keep on going right past it.

For me, the difference this time is that I'm not expecting anything quickly. I would love, love, love to be in size 12 pants by Christmas, but that just isn't happening. I'm shooting for a sixteen and would be thrilled about that change. I am also trying not to beat myself up for bad days here and there. We're human and humans have to eat! Other humans also like to feed us, a lot apparently!! It just feels better knowing that I can and will get there. So what if it takes me a year? Or two? I have spent most of my life fat, so a year or two is nothing.

So think of it as a lifestyle change, because this will become a part of your life. Most importantly, this may be the first time that I think I can confidently say I am doing this for myself. I don't want to sentence myself to the rest of my life as an obese person. Been there, done that! In the past, it was more about other people trying to push me to lose weight. I'm still at the beginning of my journey, but it definitely feels different this time and I am confident that the weight will come off in time.

Stay with it and do your best to love yourself enough to stay with it! :flowerforyou:
  • spazmother0727
    spazmother0727 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    You all are AWESOME! I have been such a BABY for so long that I forgot what it is like to be an adult.... Sad, but being honest with you all. :cry:

You are all right and I really appreciate your words of wisdom. I do need to trust myself and give myself a chance. I need to like myself again, instead of treating myself like crap. I see all of your success and it is so inspiring! Congrats to you all! I want to be successful like you all. :happy:

I am so glad that I stumbled on this site, I hope to be a good influence for you all and to be a positive member of MFP.

Any advise or rear kicking is welcome! :wink:

Thank you!

Shari
  • Cowboy
    Cowboy Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Hello,
    I had lost nearly thirty pounds early in the year, then my older sister committed suicide and I ended up rupturing a disc in my back and having back surgery. I got waaaay off course and put most of it back on. I'm just starting again. It's discouraging, but remember you haven't failed until you quit trying.
    I haven't been on here for awhile, but when I was, the people were so terrific. It really helped me to stay on course knowing there were other folks out there wishing me well and struggling themselves with the same thing. At least you know you're not alone.
    Hang in there. You will do fine.
    Cowboy
  • EvilPIB
    EvilPIB Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Hello, I understand the whole diet slump thing but what I did was to changed what, when and how much I eat daily. I never truly dieted I starved myself when I need to lose weight. Eating all the wrong food and very little of it. Losing weight only to gain it back with friends.

I too stumbled upon this site and it has been eye opening. Since I started tracking my food I have lost 5 lbs. I was looking strictly at calories and fat content and forgot about sugar/carbohydrates. OMG when I noticed how much I was taking in per meal I was SHOCKED.

As a teenager I was part of body-building team which competed and did so much more. I had to remind myself that I don't have that metabolism anymore and have to watch what I eat. Honetsly I can't pinpoint when it happend but it did. I now weigh 205 with my heaviest being 210 and thats without being pregnant. How depressing it was when I had to buy work pants and needed a 38 waist. I just about died. I was ttreating my temple like a garage dump and couldn't understand why it looks the way it does.

I now have a different look on life, have purchased some weight loss aides, (P90X, Michael Thurmond 6 week body makeover) and have stopped blaming everything is. I have fully started both programs today and have taken responsibilty for what goes into my body. No more late night pint of ice cream or a large bag of chips. Moderation and education are the keys to success.

While I was active duty I didn't think about my weight because I was in the gym 3 -4x a week. You have to pass your annual fitness exam. Once I got out in 1998 after 12 1/2 years of service, I stopped working out but continue to eat like I was. Doesn't work.

I have taken responsibility for my temple and I'm choosing to treat it well. We all have bad times but it's what we do today, right now, that affects tomorrow. If you slip, tomorrow is a new day. I'm a role model to my kids and I wasn't setting a very good one when it came to eating healthy even though I use too. We know buy more organic items, look closely at lables, try to avoid processed foods which is hard with kids and try to EAT BEFORE WE GO. I'm slowly but surely returning to cooking all meals in advance or in bulk which cuts down on junk food. I work 12 hour shifts, over night and it's hard but change takes time. I hope this helps you and whomever else reads it. :flowerforyou: