Want to begin running or jogging

Options
I used the search feature, but didnt really find what I am asking.

I dont even know where to begin. I want to set a goal for X amount of miles in X amount of time, but I have no idea what a realistic goal might be. Obviously I can increase my goal if needed, but I have no idea where to begin. How do I get started running? how many miles should I start out doing? What do you do when you get out of breath? Do you take breaks?

I've never ran for exercise before, so this is all new to me and excuse my questions if they seem silly. Thank you in advance for your insight. :smile:

Replies

• Nichole1981
    Nichole1981 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Do the couch to 5K program. Here is the link. It is really the best way to start running when you have no idea what you are doing. This is what I used when I started running a year ago and I just did my first 1/2 marathon in May! You can do it!!!

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml
  • kitkat536
    kitkat536 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Couch to 5k! Look it up! It's a glorious way to start running and not burn yourself out! You love it!!
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    I used the search feature, but didnt really find what I am asking.

I dont even know where to begin. I want to set a goal for X amount of miles in X amount of time, but I have no idea what a realistic goal might be. Obviously I can increase my goal if needed, but I have no idea where to begin. How do I get started running? how many miles should I start out doing? What do you do when you get out of breath? Do you take breaks?

I've never ran for exercise before, so this is all new to me and excuse my questions if they seem silly. Thank you in advance for your insight. :smile:

Start with something simple... try the C25K program which is a guided program to take up to running a 5K race (3.1 miles). The key is to build gradually to avoid injuries. A 5K just generally the best tolerated intro running goal.

I just posted an answer to a similar topic here

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/282985-tips-for-beginner-overweight-joggers

Hope it helps.
  • Jconner30
    Jconner30 Posts: 311
    Options
    Add me if you want to - I am a new runner. I started about 3 months ago and I am up to an 8 mile run. This Saturday, I plan for an 11 miler. Hopefully, I wont die :smile: so pray for me!!!

I didnt use the C25K or couch to 5K or anyting like that. I just started walk/run for a mile then kept it up until I could run a mile w/o stopping. Then I bumped it up to 1 1/2 then 2 then 3 then 4 then 5 - and so forth. I run about 5-6 times a week now, but when I started out I would do it twice then 3 times a week. Wanted to start out slow as to not hurt myself. Now I love to run :)
  • 1horsetown
    1horsetown Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    look for Couch to 5K.

Starts you out easy and works you up to running a 5K.
  • sophjakesmom
    sophjakesmom Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    I see someone else has already recommend C25K. I absolutely recommend it too for anyone just starting out. It is a great way to start running gradually so you avoid the common injuries. Good luck!!
  • mlemonroe2
    mlemonroe2 Posts: 603
    Options
    Google Couch 2 5K or C25K. It is a program disigned to get you running a 5k (or 3 miles) in 9 weeks. It is a mix of jogging/walking that slowly transitions into only jogging. It is a free program. You can print out the program and download it on your ipod. I did it and can jog 3 miles non-stop and it took about 8 weeks.(i didn't use an ipod, i just timed myself on a stopwatch) I am 5 foot 4 and 192 and have never run in my life. If I can do it, anyone can!! Good luck!
  • kslindner
    kslindner Posts: 107
    Options
    When I first started running, I was told that if you do a mile in 15 minutes, that's good... I started out doing a 5K run which is about 3 miles... When I was tired & out of breath, I'd stop running and just walk until I felt ok enough to run again. I ended up doing my first 5K in 48 minutes, which isn't TOO bad considering I had just healed from a broken ankle... Hope this helps!
  • LittleVikki
    LittleVikki Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Start by walking at a very brisk pace and then jog for as far as you can and then return to walking but dont stop and when you feel able to start jogging again go! If you keep repeating this you'll notice yourself going further each time :)
  • mcpdallas
    mcpdallas Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I used Podrunner Intervals and reached the 5 miles. The music and intervals makes running easier. I didn't make it in 9 weeks as I can't run 3 times a week. I just did each level 3 times before going to the next level.

Here is a link: http://www.djsteveboy.com/intervals.html
  • Shutterpillar
    Options
    Couch To 5K it is! thank you everyone. off to research the program and hopefully get started running!