Can I run a 10K?

Options
Currently I can run 4 miles. I really want to run in the MCM 10K in DC at the end of October. Is it reasonable to think that if I am running 4-5 times a week, I'd be in good shape for that? Advice? Thoughts?

Replies

• ocdad68
    ocdad68 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    absolutely! you are already exceeding a 5K (3.1 miles). A 10K is only 6.2 miles. You should have no trouble finishing a 10K. Also, there is no problem with doing a run/walk strategy. You can look up Jeff Galloway, and even marathoners use this strategy. Good luck
  • nuttyfamily
    nuttyfamily Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    If I can, anybody can so YES YOU CAN ;)
  • bigalfantasy2004
    bigalfantasy2004 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I'm sure you are. I never ran more than a 5K total in my life and I decided to run a 10K. I took it out slow, for me, that's an 11 minute/mile pace. I ran the whole thing and I felt great the whole race. I finished in 1:08.54, but I'm pretty sure my next one I will up my speed a little. It's not as hard as you think, if you pace yourself.
  • Nichole1981
    Nichole1981 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    YES YOU CAN!!!!! When I was training for my 1/2 marathon my coach told me that your body can handle a 2 mile increase per week but not to go over that. So if you are already running 4 miles now you should have no problem running 6.2 by the end of Oct. I would look online for a 10K training program. That will help you increase your mileage. Also, don’t think that you have to run a full 6.2 before race day. You will be fine if you have only run 5 or so....your adrenaline will be carrying you through some of those miles! :)
  • Amy1066
    Amy1066 Posts: 30
    Options
    YES YOU CAN AND WILL!!!!!!!!
  • shellbell1993
    shellbell1993 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    You sure can!!!! I agree with everyone else, running a 10K for you or anyone else for that matter is possible if you believe and train for it and you are half way there already!!! GO FOR IT!!!:wink:
  • fitsaxon
    fitsaxon Posts: 57
    Options
    Yes you can!

Am currently training for a half marathon (about a month in to it)--- the program I'm using has advice for a 10K as well, see link below.

http://www.halhigdon.com/10ktraining/10kintro.htm

Am finding the progression pretty managable-- good luck!
  • CardiacNP
    CardiacNP Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    I am a big fan of Jeff Galloway and his walk run method. I use it for 1/2 marathons
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    Absolutely you can! That's about three months away. 12 weeks. Even if you add just a quarter mile to your distance each week, and you'll be running that far in 9 weeks.
  • silvafan
    silvafan Posts: 147
    Options
    Oh ya you have plenty of time to train, You can def do a 10K in October!!! GO FOR IT!!!!
  • campi_mama
    campi_mama Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Totally possible by October. You've even got time to follow a training plan if you want. I would run 2-3 days a week 3 mi, 1 day a week 4 or 5 miles and then throw in a 6 miler a few times. Don't be afraid of the distance. Going from your current 4 mile run to a 6 mile run is not too difficult. Go for it! Have a blast!
  • BrianaLyn123
    Options
    You can, but be warned...next will be a half-marathon, and then a full marathon! Nichole1981 is right on - the adrenaline is going to give you that extra push you need. Your body will do what you tell it to :)
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    Sure. 10K is 6.4 miles. You are already 2/3rds of the way there.

What I would do is make your Saturday/Sunday run a Long Slow Run. For those Long Slow Runs... slow your pace by 1-2 minutes per mile, but add a half mile per LSR (i.e. 4.5 miles this Sunday, 5 miles next Sunday) In 5 weeks, you have added the required distance.

By slowing down you will be able to run further and stretch out your endurance.

Given your are also only adding 2.4 miles... the adrenaline on race day will help as well.

So Yep... You sure can!
  • Samerah12
    Samerah12 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah, you will have no problem!!
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    You can, but be warned...next will be a half-marathon, and then a full marathon! Nichole1981 is right on - the adrenaline is going to give you that extra push you need. Your body will do what you tell it to :)

So you are saying the 10K is like a Gateway drug for runners...:laugh:

Do we have a support group for this? 12,000 step program anyone :bigsmile:
  • swanny320
    swanny320 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    You guys are awesome! I feel so motivated now. Thanks for the vote of confidence. I am going online now to register for the race! Woo Hoo!!!!
  • lyanson
    lyanson Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I'm doing one in August! :) I know you will be able to do it!! Good Luck and Have fun!!
  • Schwiggity
    Schwiggity Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    2.2 more miles by October is very very doable.
  • snkeller24
    snkeller24 Posts: 459
    Options
    Yup you got this! I want to do one too
  • mamajess82
    mamajess82 Posts: 51
    Options
    Yes!