losing inches

Options
I had a non-scale goal of dropping a size and was hoping to reach this goal by the end of the month. Well, my laziness has gotten the best of me this summer and I haven't lost much. I'm a teacher and I want to be able to buy "back-to-school" clothes before the new year, but not if I haven't dropped a size. Any suggestions on how to lose inches with or without significant weight loss? I have figured out what works for weight loss (even though I'm slacking!) but I need to loss this belly fat! Help?

Replies

• 1life2live_cjg
    Options
    tone up your abs. that'll help. do sit-ups or crunches. :)
  • stc74
    stc74 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I need to read your replies to this one!
  • mark03264
    mark03264 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    There is not a way to target a particular part of the body for fat loss. You say you know what works then you just need to do it. There are no short cuts. Sort of like one of your students wanting a shortcut to an A on a test without doing the work to get there. You just got to do the work. Sorry!
  • aymetcalf
    aymetcalf Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Use MFP for tracking calories - then cardio cardio cardio! :flowerforyou:
  • ColoradoRobin
    ColoradoRobin Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Take a look at the books New Rules of Lifting for Abs or New Rules of Lifting for Women. Strength training is the best way to change your body composition, along with high intensity interval training. Steady state cardio won't do as well.

http://figureathlete.t-nation.com/free_online_article/training/the_final_nail_in_the_cardio_coffin
  • JoBFit
    JoBFit Posts: 81
    Options
    tone up your abs. that'll help. do sit-ups or crunches. :)
    Agreed!
  • mshedlock
    mshedlock Posts: 9
    Options
    Try yoga, that always helps me when I need to tone up. If you don't like yoga, there is always pilates. Good Luck because I know just how you feel!
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    I hate to say it but I've lost thirty pounds and haven't even dropped a size even though I know my stomach is getting smaller...so it may take longer :(
  • robertf57
    robertf57 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Take a look at the books New Rules of Lifting for Abs or New Rules of Lifting for Women. Strength training is the best way to change your body composition, along with high intensity interval training. Steady state cardio won't do as well.

http://figureathlete.t-nation.com/free_online_article/training/the_final_nail_in_the_cardio_coffin

Can't really agree here. Certainly strength training can help, but belly fat is a matter of fat loss. My avatar here is the result of mainly bicycling: very much steady state cardio and I don't think I look half bad for an old guy.:blushing:
  • melindalamb
    Options
    I have lost inches since May. I work out for 20-30 minutes in the morning doing mini challenges. Then, in the evening, I go to the gym. I work out on the Arc trainer for 20 minutes on the interval level, walk for 30 minutes on the treadmill, and take classes. I like taking Kick, Power, Zumba.

My mini challenges are as follows:

Mon, Wed, Fri - Pushups, Leg lifts, and Planks
    Tues and Thurs - Weights, Knee lifts, Air bicycles, and Jump rope for 10 minutes